The Student Room Group

Psychology PY4 (WJEC)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
I've not done theories of crime yet, Jabed. We're aiming to get them finished by the end of the week :smile:
Reply 201
I'm doing forensics, memory, abnormality and controversies (controversies is compulsory for everyone). We have finished memory and almost forensics just 1 more bullet point to do. After that were doing abnormality.
Reply 202
Hii coool :biggrin: ^^

We're doing controversies last!
I'm doing Forensic, Memory and Abnormality.

Really worried about this exam, feel really unprepared, any resources would be great!
Reply 204
catandtia
I'm doing Forensic, Memory and Abnormality.

Really worried about this exam, feel really unprepared, any resources would be great!

Same topics!! :O Eugh I have no resources for this one :frown: I'll upload some documents as I go along if and when I type them out, though.
Reply 205
mel0n
Same topics!! :O Eugh I have no resources for this one :frown: I'll upload some documents as I go along if and when I type them out, though.

Same topics here, forensic, abnormality & memory!

We're pretty much handed every essay which is an awful way to be taught, but if anyone needs anything it means I have most things as i've finished all 3 now, just doing controversies! so feel free to ask :smile:
mel0n

Thanks! xx
How many topics are we meant to choose for PY4? Are there compulsory topics in addition to the ones we choose? I am just slightly confused (and worried) because we seem to be studying a lot more than everyone on the student room. So far we have done; relationships, adolescence and adulthood, abnormal psychology and health psychology. My teacher says that we have memory, forensic psychology and controversies left to do. So we are doing 7 topics and everyone else seems to be doing 4! Before you ask, yes we are on WJEC.

Also, is there anywhere I can find some sort of essay template? I am feeling a bit bewildered on how to structure these god damn psych essays!
Not totally sure of what is included where on the spec and dont have it to hand.

For PY4 you will have to answer four sections - one question from each. Controversies are compulsory - and thats section 1 ( a). I think there are seven topics in there.

Then there are the options.

Your teacher gets to choose three areas from those available ( something like ten in all).

section b is largely theories and C is applications.

You can either be taught two options from section B and one from C ( thats how I do it) or two from C and one from B.

You then answer the set question on sections b and c according to which topics you learned.

You could learn more and therefore have more choice - theoretically but in practice the content is so rich in each topic choice, it would be hard to teach it all in time.

Better to learn three areas well and answer the one question on each than to try and teach more , at least in my experience.

I have tried to finish the spec before Easter but failed because there is so much stuffed in there on the new paper. I still have sleep ( awareness) and the controversies to see off .

Essay template? I dont know of any as such. I am trying to write specimin answers for each possible question for the topics I am covering. I havent got that done yet.

Get the paper from WJEC ( specimin paper is on their website under Psychology subjects A level.) You will see then what you are required to do.

Hope that helps.
Reply 209
bedwasboy2k6, your college seems to be making you learn each topic area when in fact there is a total of 4 that each college is meant to do! Some are doing 5, just so there's a choice for the student in the exam, I think but most are doing 4 (including the Controversies). When it comes to revision maybe just learn the Controversies, 1 from Section B and 2 from Section C (or vice versa), so as to minimise the amount of revision you have...
Reply 210
bedwasboy2k6
How many topics are we meant to choose for PY4? Are there compulsory topics in addition to the ones we choose? I am just slightly confused (and worried) because we seem to be studying a lot more than everyone on the student room. So far we have done; relationships, adolescence and adulthood, abnormal psychology and health psychology. My teacher says that we have memory, forensic psychology and controversies left to do. So we are doing 7 topics and everyone else seems to be doing 4! Before you ask, yes we are on WJEC.

Also, is there anywhere I can find some sort of essay template? I am feeling a bit bewildered on how to structure these god damn psych essays!

Does ur teacher know you are ideally meant to study just 1 topic, 1 application, another topic OR application and lastly controversies. Speak to him/her about it.

Anybody care to PM me a model answer for the multistore model essay or nature/nurture essay :smile:
Reply 211
Multistore model for memory? I have a sort of... model answer but it's just a generic one that I think I might not be using in the exam :colondollar:
Is there any chance people could post their model answers on here? It would be great to have other people material to compare with, unless there is some other thread where they are being posted.
Reply 213
Does anyone have model answers for the abnormal psychology module?
I seem to have misplaced mine. :frown:
Reply 214
bedwasboy2k6
Is there any chance people could post their model answers on here? It would be great to have other people material to compare with, unless there is some other thread where they are being posted.

there have been as of now two model-ish answers posted.
If you look at the earlier pages I think around page 5. There should be some notes on Offender profiling by me which is most of the essay broken down a little. (i got an A)
And mel0n posted a model essay (worte by her teacher) on Abnormal psych (think it was to do with treatments of disorders if i remember correctly)

edit: if more people post answers then I would assume that others would. so if you have one for any of the potentially essay questions then please do post it.
Reply 215
mel0n
Multistore model for memory? I have a sort of... model answer but it's just a generic one that I think I might not be using in the exam :colondollar:

if possible, could you please post it still. I'm just looking for some extra studies/ao2 points I might have missed out.
Reply 216
The notes I have written up on Schizophrenia are hugely my own, actually, though we do indeed get given model answers too, as well as other notes.

I will post it if I can find the memory booklet! House is getting redecorated and I can only find the front page :frown:!
Reply 217
I'm currently writing up my essays and I am onto the one regarding Offender Profiling, but I cannot find anything in my booklet about a strength of the American approach in profiling in relation to it producing qualitative and quantative data, does anyone know what it is? :/
Reply 218
sweet25
I'm currently writing up my essays and I am onto the one regarding Offender Profiling, but I cannot find anything in my booklet about a strength of the American approach in profiling in relation to it producing qualitative and quantative data, does anyone know what it is? :/

I dont remember anything about qualt/quant data strength in the American approach.
You should just focus on any other strengths you can think of. And there are two other key approaches you can look at to get the A02 points (geog and british) then you can do a02 points on how offender profiling in general is only relevant in certain crimes (rape/serial killer) and is still in its infancy stage so we cannot review its effectiveness right now.
Reply 219
Urgh teachers scaring me about this exam now.
Keeps saying how hard it's going to be >.<

I really need to start revising!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending