Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellpastmybedtime)
    You are doing abnormal, forensic and memory.
    Ooooh right. That makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I'm doing these too
    Wahey! They sound rather interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xstarxsparklex)
    Wahey! They sound rather interesting
    Seems like we are all doing Memory and Forensics
    Only difference is you and mel0n are doing Abnormal and I'm doing Relationships.

wellpastmybedtime - what kind of things are they looking for in a definition of 'gender bias'. Do I just briefly talk about alpha/beta-bias or are they asking for something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    what do you mean by rhetorical questions do you mean how you've worded your essays like

' blah blah memory model blah blah, but does the memory model really mean we are robots? *cue evaluation point* '
    yep pretty much! if i can't remember anything they taught us over christmas then at least i can remember "the chief examiner loves rhetorical questions"...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm going to enjoy this unit..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjward1)
    yep pretty much! if i can't remember anything they taught us over christmas then at least i can remember "the chief examiner loves rhetorical questions"...
    haha yeah, looking back at one of my essays - I've realised that I've got them kind of questions as well!

I don't think I'm going to enjoy this unit..
    how come? it's a lot of work but it is quite interesting - well what we've done so far :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Seems like we are all doing Memory and Forensics
    Only difference is you and mel0n are doing Abnormal and I'm doing Relationships.

wellpastmybedtime - what kind of things are they looking for in a definition of 'gender bias'. Do I just briefly talk about alpha/beta-bias or are they asking for something else?
    I have akways taught it as alpha and beta bias abd it seemed to work

But this is a new spec so I am not currently 100% sure. The content hasnt changed and so I guess the exam requirement wont either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjward1)
    Really? Thats news to me. Who told you the examiner likes rhetorical questions? Those are real questions by the way!

ReputationRep:
    I have akways taught it as alpha and beta bias abd it seemed to work

But this is a new spec so I am not currently 100% sure. The content hasnt changed and so I guess the exam requirement wont either
    ok thanks, I'll rep you

ReputationRep:
    started the memory topic today!its already confusing me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikecookies)
    started the memory topic today!its already confusing me
    something irrelevant, how come you've put :rolleyes: next to your manc offer? do you not like the uni?:o:

ReputationRep:
    Aaaah I'm so confused. We already started memory before our PY3 exam, and even though we haven't finished it, we started abnormal psychology today. We're starting with the question about bias 0.0

Also, it seems that teachers at our college have decided that we will only be studying 6 out of 7 controversies, meaning they're going to leave out the hardest/most boring, but we won't get a choice out of the two questions in the exam (if the one we don't study is one that comes up). Oh and today I was also told that our centre is one of the biggest that the welsh board has for Psychology :lolwut:

Eughh we discussed our Friday's exam today in class and I can't believe I got so many wronggggg!

As for the gender bias thing, that's part of the abnormal psychology unit, right? We haven't looked at it properly yet but on the PowerPoint presentation we were shown it mentioned alpha bias and beta bias, but the model answer I have says hardly anything about either! :/
    it's only culture and gender bias that the essay is based on, right??

ReputationRep:
    something irrelevant, how come you've put :rolleyes: next to your manc offer? do you not like the uni?:o:
    nooooo i LOVE it but i'm currently living in manchester so i dont know whether to put it as my firm/insurance :o: i want to live away from home!but i love the town so... are u thinking of putting manchester as your firm then???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Aaaah I'm so confused. We already started memory before our PY3 exam, and even though we haven't finished it, we started abnormal psychology today. We're starting with the question about bias 0.0

Also, it seems that teachers at our college have decided that we will only be studying 6 out of 7 controversies, meaning they're going to leave out the hardest/most boring, but we won't get a choice out of the two questions in the exam (if the one we don't study is one that comes up). Oh and today I was also told that our centre is one of the biggest that the welsh board has for Psychology :lolwut:

Eughh we discussed our Friday's exam today in class and I can't believe I got so many wronggggg!

As for the gender bias thing, that's part of the abnormal psychology unit, right? We haven't looked at it properly yet but on the PowerPoint presentation we were shown it mentioned alpha bias and beta bias, but the model answer I have says hardly anything about either! :/
    it's only culture and gender bias that the essay is based on, right??
    Breath mel0n :p:
    Your class is doing something similar to mine, learning several diff things in classes. We are learning Relationships, Forensics, Controversies all at once, then Memory and a few of the remaining controversies will be dealt with after finishing Rships and Frensics.

Bias is part of the controversy section (section A)
    And In the gender bias essay you can talk about alpha/beta, but its not totally needed (its just one of the points in the mark scheme) - the powerpoint could have just been telling you about 'what Gender bias' is, which is the whole alpha/beta stuff (3 mark question in the exam, then you do the fat 22 marker and can talk about Kohlberg, Freud etc.)

The culture bias is a diff essay. We too are only learning 6, think of it this way - rather than knowing 7 things with a belief that you can get 70% in each, you can learn 6 and focus more and believe you can get 80% - if that makes sense? We have left out the 'external/internal' question if you are interested.

I suggest you look at the specification, that can clear a lot of your questions methinks.
    Dont worry too much about the PY3 - I've given up on pulling my hair out on making silly mistakes I've realised I've done in the exam. It's doesnt weigh as much as Py4 so we can redeem ourselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikecookies)
    nooooo i LOVE it but i'm currently living in manchester so i dont know whether to put it as my firm/insurance :o: i want to live away from home!but i love the town so... are u thinking of putting manchester as your firm then???
    Imy parents are irrational-life-controlling *****es and are forcing me to commute so Manchester was one of the only good unis around my house (I live 40 min train away) but erm yeah it'll be my firm choice and most likely insurance. The course is brill as well.

I think yo ushould choose it as your 'ins', off course I'm bias but the city is immense and I think employers value the uni.
    My cousin is doing psych at manchester (1st yr). If you have any questions I can forward them to her?

ReputationRep:
    Jabed, you might want to take a look at that TES site. There is an interesting debate about the text book and one of the authors has said something rather interesting, and something you might find useful.

ReputationRep:
    Breath mel0n :p:
    Your class is doing something similar to mine, learning several diff things in classes. We are learning Relationships, Forensics, Controversies all at once, then Memory and a few of the remaining controversies will be dealt with after finishing Rships and Frensics.

Bias is part of the controversy section (section A)
    And In the gender bias essay you can talk about alpha/beta, but its not totally needed (its just one of the points in the mark scheme) - the powerpoint could have just been telling you about 'what Gender bias' is, which is the whole alpha/beta stuff (3 mark question in the exam, then you do the fat 22 marker and can talk about Kohlberg, Freud etc.)

The culture bias is a diff essay. We too are only learning 6, think of it this way - rather than knowing 7 things with a belief that you can get 70% in each, you can learn 6 and focus more and believe you can get 80% - if that makes sense? We have left out the 'external/internal' question if you are interested.

I suggest you look at the specification, that can clear a lot of your questions methinks.
    Dont worry too much about the PY3 - I've given up on pulling my hair out on making silly mistakes I've realised I've done in the exam. It's doesnt weigh as much as Py4 so we can redeem ourselves
    Aaah, yeah I get what you mean. Except we have been given a question about bias as part of our abnormal psychology booklet. 'discuss issues of bias in diagnostic systems' - but it's all just one big 25 marker. Nothing about 3 markers and nothing about it being part of a controversy question o.o because we're not starting controvs till a lot later :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Really? Thats news to me. Who told you the examiner likes rhetorical questions? Those are real questions by the way!
    My teacher! She is a bit crazy and went to the exam conference thing in Birmingham and asked them ALOT of questions... And apparently that is what distinguishes A grade students... Whether thats right or not, or she is just trying to make us actually think about what we are writing, i'm not sure!

ReputationRep:
    Well, that might work if there was one examiner - or rather marker. Since there are many people marking, I doubt all of them will be taken in by rhetorical questions ( or the style) and whatever the chief examiner may like becomes irrelevent since that person will mark maybe half a dozen scripts at most. The rest is done by assistant examiners
    (mostly) and by senior examiners ( for moderation and to make checks on standards of assistant examiners to ensure all are marking consistently.)

I dont know. Many of my students have A grades and I dont think they all used rhetorical questions and I will take the risk.

But thanks for the information.

ReputationRep:
    Imy parents are irrational-life-controlling *****es and are forcing me to commute so Manchester was one of the only good unis around my house (I live 40 min train away) but erm yeah it'll be my firm choice and most likely insurance. The course is brill as well.

I think yo ushould choose it as your 'ins', off course I'm bias but the city is immense and I think employers value the uni.
    My cousin is doing psych at manchester (1st yr). If you have any questions I can forward them to her?
    that would be great!i would get back to you if i have any quetions
    manchester IS a really good uni =] so will u be living at home then if you do go there????cos u dont wanna miss out on all the first year social stuff :P
    im definitely going to choose it as my insurance i think!im going to start looking at accommodation soon :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.