Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    Well I hope the understudied comes up lol its one that I can actually do ok in lol.
    If you go to the Revision Notes section of TSR and navigate through it you will find some good notes on that essay.

Or go back a few pages on this thread and I have posted a very brief plan of my essay.
    Ahh really you like it? i much prefer the cultural variations one. was told that could come up as its not came up yet and the other four have, but understudied has already came up twice in past 5 exam terms so im praying it doesnt sorry =( lool, do you know what page you posted your essay plan on? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    It's been shown to be quite effective actually :ninja: but it's unethical and all that jazz. What's Pollard? :o:
    Pollard - some guy from thames valley police said San Diego also had drops in crime rates so zero tolerance was not the direct cause of reductions in NY. Talk about CAUSE and effect stuff!
    Most likely due to huge increase in hard working police which helped deter crime etc.
    He said it was agresive policy and uncomprimisable.
    Dennis said it was good natured

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paula3412)
    Ahh really you like it? i much prefer the cultural variations one. was told that could come up as its not came up yet and the other four have, but understudied has already came up twice in past 5 exam terms so im praying it doesnt sorry =( lool, do you know what page you posted your essay plan on? x
    Heres the page:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=310
    For your cultural essay what kind of stuff did you talk about.

ReputationRep:
    Hope profiling doesn't come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Hope profiling doesn't come up
    Me too - at first I thought I knew it well but now I'm really confused. Like
    The americans use top down which focuses on looking at past criminal things but to do this they need to collect data from the crime scene which I thought the bottom up approach did
    Ideal paper would be

Culture bias
    Alternatives or Multistore
    Formation of relationships
    Treatment punishment

ReputationRep:
    Heres the page:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=310
    the revision notes section is more useful imo - cba trying to search for it though sorry lol.

For your cultural essay what kind of stuff did you talk about.

Introduction:
    Western cultures: example UK (Individualistic)
    Non-western cultures: example Africa (collectivist)
    -individualistic societies place their emphasis on self-interest, achievement and independance.
    -collectivist cultures place emphasis on group loyalty, group decisions are very important.

Para 1: (LOVE)
    -RESEARCH: Levine (cross cultural research on importance of love and marriage)
    -found individualistic cultures percieve love as a necessity before marriage.
    Whereas, collectivist cultures tend to fall in love after marriage.
    -study showed a weak correlation of only 0.5, which is too low to make conlusions based on these findings.
    -can be criticised for not having an equal number of cultures, which could over/under represent one of the cultures in the results.
    -concept of love is difficult ro define.
    -RESEARCH: Shaver (chinese:collectivist) they associated romantic love with sorrow & pain rather than excitement and satisfaction.
    -although this supports the theory it can be criticised for only using one culture so cannot be generalised. Also it was done 13 years ago so things may be different today.

Para 2: (FRIENDS)
    -RESEARCH: Goodwin (found people in collectivist countried tend to have fewer but closer friends)
    -RESEARCH: Salamon (studied friends in Japan & West Germany, results supported Goodwin as Japan has closer friends.)
    - however the research is dated and only 2 countried were compared so its not representative. Also doesnt explain why collectivist cultures have fewer but closer friends.

Para 3: (MARRIAGE)
    -collectivist: marriage tends to be arranged and permanent
    -individualistic: tend to have choice but tempory as its socially accepted to seek the ideal partner
    -collectivist cultures allow monogamy ( more than two wives/husbands)
    -monogamy isnt accepted in individualistic countries.

Para 4: (DIVORCE)
    -difference in terms of divorce, almost all cultures have provision for divorce
    -collectivist: divorce tends to be less common and can be frowned upon
    -RESEARCH: Goodwin (In Saudi Arabia, men dont have to give a reason for divorce, they keep the children and house, whilst wive has to move back in with parents) This would be seen as outrageous to us but its a norm in their culture.
    - divorce may be less common as some families will disown their children.
    -another explanation women have became more independant, this could be why divorce rates are higher in individualistic cultures.
    -however, divorce rates dont tell us the reason people choose to end their marriage just numbers.
    -Therefore, qualitative data cannot be gathered, so unable to gain an insight to whether reasons for divorce vary between cultures.

Para 5: (CONCLUSION)
    -some of the research could be argued to be biased, perhaps ethnocentric bias meaning; we use our own culture norms and assume anything other in Non-western cultures isnt normal
    -its unrealistic to group whole societies into one group as there will always be exceptions
    -finally, further research into difference of cultures is required, maybe we cant compare them in terms of relationships.

ReputationRep:
    Melon: about the thoeries of crime...
    No they cant specifically ask about
    biological theory
    or sociocultural theory because in the spec it says
    whatever is 'e.g.' is optional so this means
    that the

theories of crime (e.g. biologal, sociocultural)

meant them two ideas were purely suggestions. So they cannot ask specifically for one theory since it wasnt specifically asked to be learnt. If that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    Introduction:
    Western cultures: example UK (Individualistic)
    Non-western cultures: example Africa (collectivist)
    -individualistic societies place their emphasis on self-interest, achievement and independance.
    -collectivist cultures place emphasis on group loyalty, group decisions are very important.

Para 1: (LOVE)
    -RESEARCH: Levine (cross cultural research on importance of love and marriage)
    -found individualistic cultures percieve love as a necessity before marriage.
    Whereas, collectivist cultures tend to fall in love after marriage.
    -study showed a weak correlation of only 0.5, which is too low to make conlusions based on these findings.
    -can be criticised for not having an equal number of cultures, which could over/under represent one of the cultures in the results.
    -concept of love is difficult ro define.
    -RESEARCH: Shaver (chinese:collectivist) they associated romantic love with sorrow & pain rather than excitement and satisfaction.
    -although this supports the theory it can be criticised for only using one culture so cannot be generalised. Also it was done 13 years ago so things may be different today.

Para 2: (FRIENDS)
    -RESEARCH: Goodwin (found people in collectivist countried tend to have fewer but closer friends)
    -RESEARCH: Salamon (studied friends in Japan & West Germany, results supported Goodwin as Japan has closer friends.)
    - however the research is dated and only 2 countried were compared so its not representative. Also doesnt explain why collectivist cultures have fewer but closer friends.

Para 3: (MARRIAGE)
    -collectivist: marriage tends to be arranged and permanent
    -individualistic: tend to have choice but tempory as its socially accepted to seek the ideal partner
    -collectivist cultures allow monogamy ( more than two wives/husbands)
    -monogamy isnt accepted in individualistic countries.

Para 4: (DIVORCE)
    -difference in terms of divorce, almost all cultures have provision for divorce
    -collectivist: divorce tends to be less common and can be frowned upon
    -RESEARCH: Goodwin (In Saudi Arabia, men dont have to give a reason for divorce, they keep the children and house, whilst wive has to move back in with parents) This would be seen as outrageous to us but its a norm in their culture.
    - divorce may be less common as some families will disown their children.
    -another explanation women have became more independant, this could be why divorce rates are higher in individualistic cultures.
    -however, divorce rates dont tell us the reason people choose to end their marriage just numbers.
    -Therefore, qualitative data cannot be gathered, so unable to gain an insight to whether reasons for divorce vary between cultures.

Para 5: (CONCLUSION)
    -some of the research could be argued to be biased, perhaps ethnocentric bias meaning; we use our own culture norms and assume anything other in Non-western cultures isnt normal
    -its unrealistic to group whole societies into one group as there will always be exceptions
    -finally, further research into difference of cultures is required, maybe we cant compare them in terms of relationships.
    :O
    I could never fit all that into one essay. I did go over the friendship stuff but my essay was just
    Intro, Marriage, Divorce, Other issues.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks jabed GAH memory is annoying :/ alternatives won't stick in my head.

ReputationRep:
    :O
    I could never fit all that into one essay. I did go over the friendship stuff but my essay was just
    Intro, Marriage, Divorce, Other issues.
    Hmm i guess it depends on how quick you are at writing, i just typed that out from scratch in like 20 mins :/ but tbh this is like my fav essay outa all of um, it just seemed to click with me, i have done that one twice in exam conditions nd got 22/25 for it and i gave you the improved version. urm maybe get rid of some of the research where some topics have two? so you have more time for the other bits, what other issues do you do? x

ReputationRep:
    My ideal paper would be:

nature v nurture <333
    theories or treatments of crime
    multi store model
    causes of schizophrenia

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i guess it depends on how quick you are at writing, i just typed that out from scratch in like 20 mins :/ but tbh this is like my fav essay outa all of um, it just seemed to click with me, i have done that one twice in exam conditions nd got 22/25 for it and i gave you the improved version. urm maybe get rid of some of the research where some topics have two? so you have more time for the other bits, what other issues do you do? x
    Buss said there are still similarities within formation of relationships. Even in arranged marriages you still see older man/younger prettier women etc.
    And Some countries are becoming more individualist e.g. Japan due to economic developments/urbanisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Thanks jabed GAH memory is annoying :/ alternatives won't stick in my head.
    Forensics wont stick in my head. I guess this is Interference theory happening to us - ya know - what with all the endless studies we have to know. I can do memory (apart from the disorders - not bothering learning it, yep big risk I know)

ReputationRep:
    Not learning disorders?!! Big risk indeed! What if it comes up ;( I would miss out some but I want about 104/120

ReputationRep:
    i think i regret taking psychology - i wish they kept coursework for 2nd year
    nvm eh - we can only do our best yeah ??
    i think the relationship essays are the easiest out of them all!!

ReputationRep:
    heyy, some how i have to learn all the essays today all my exams have been in the period of one week!!

Does anyone know what came up in January this year?
    Also, because they have scrapped coursework will that mean that the grade boundaries will be lowered?

ReputationRep:
    So, I still don't think it's dawned on me that the exams tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriiiiisty)
    heyy, some how i have to learn all the essays today all my exams have been in the period of one week!!

Does anyone know what came up in January this year?
    Also, because they have scrapped coursework will that mean that the grade boundaries will be lowered?
    According to the WJEC website, there wasn't a PY4 exam in January :erm:

Oh and I doubt they'll lower grade boundaries because of that unfortunately :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethan92)
    According to the WJEC website, there wasn't a PY4 exam in January :erm:

Oh and I doubt they'll lower grade boundaries because of that unfortunately :/
    thanks but i just managed to find the jan 10 paper it just wasnt on wjec!
    oh right well there goes the only bit of hope i had!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriiiiisty)
    thanks but i just managed to find the jan 10 paper it just wasnt on wjec!
    oh right well there goes the only bit of hope i had!
    That was the psy4. We are on the new spec which has definitley not had a January unit 4 exam . It sqyys on the spec that we are the first do this exam.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.