Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I never used rhetorical questions in my AS modules and still got a top grade I'm not sure whether we need to use them for A2 though :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I never used rhetorical questions in my AS modules and still got a top grade I'm not sure whether we need to use them for A2 though :dontknow:
    I hope I get good grades in PY1 and PY2 (I'm doing the alevel in one year)
    what do you want to do at uni mel0n? i'm curious :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    I hope I get good grades in PY1 and PY2 (I'm doing the alevel in one year)
    what do you want to do at uni mel0n? i'm curious :o:
    Ooohhhh wow in one year?! To be honest, both units were quite hard to get good marks in but you just need to know your stuff! And hmm haha I want to read English Literature You probably thing I'm boring. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Me neither... Like I said, I think the whole concept of rhetorical questions is to make us question and evaluate every point we make and understand that psychology is one whole big question mark - I.e not as scientific as it claims. I think the rhetorical questions is a method which makes sure that ALL students show they are capable of a deeper evaluation if that makes sense? Not necessarily just about throwing them all in...
    Sorry didn't want you to think thats necessarily a requirement, it is just pretty much all i remember from before christmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjward1)
    Me neither... Like I said, I think the whole concept of rhetorical questions is to make us question and evaluate every point we make and understand that psychology is one whole big question mark - I.e not as scientific as it claims. I think the rhetorical questions is a method which makes sure that ALL students show they are capable of a deeper evaluation if that makes sense? Not necessarily just about throwing them all in...
    Sorry didn't want you to think thats necessarily a requirement, it is just pretty much all i remember from before christmas
    yeah it sort of probes you into thinking more about the AO2 things you need in the unit.

that would be great!i would get back to you if i have any quetions
    manchester IS a really good uni =] so will u be living at home then if you do go there????cos u dont wanna miss out on all the first year social stuff :P
    im definitely going to choose it as my insurance i think!im going to start looking at accommodation soon
    my parents said they will let me get a shared house in my second year but my for my first I have to stay at home :confused: wtf? I'd rather go live at halls first year and then live at home for the last two years. I mean what if I dont even make any close friends in the first year - then I'll not even have a house to share with. I hate my complicated life :sigh:

Ooohhhh wow in one year?! To be honest, both units were quite hard to get good marks in but you just need to know your stuff! And hmm haha I want to read English Literature You probably thing I'm boring.
    Yup I've done my unit 1 with the AS class and unit 3 with the A2 class
    and now I'm doing unit2 and unit4.
    Hey atleast you get to read interesting stuff, I get the pleasure of using mathematical economic models :sigh: fun fun fun.
    *sarcasm alert*

ReputationRep:
    my parents said they will let me get a shared house in my second year but my for my first I have to stay at home :confused: wtf? I'd rather go live at halls first year and then live at home for the last two years. I mean what if I dont even make any close friends in the first year - then I'll not even have a house to share with. I hate my complicated life :sigh:
    *sarcasm alert*
    im sorry,that really sucks :o: but isnt there any ways you can persuade your parents???my parents wanted me to stay at home but i told them if i did i wouldnt be able to learn how to be independent and stuff and i might end up dropping out of uni if i get too depressed as i have no social life!maybe you can try that with your parents :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Eeerghh is the bias question in Abnormal Psychology the same as the bias question in controversies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Eeerghh is the bias question in Abnormal Psychology the same as the bias question in controversies?
    about gender bias? it's controversies, the cultural bias one is also in controversies section.

edit; do you know if Kohlberg's moral development thing is beta or alpha bias? I know its got bias but I dont know which kind. since he didnt use male participants (beta) yet said woman arent that morally developed (alpha)

ReputationRep:
    about gender bias? it's controversies, the cultural bias one is also in controversies section.

edit; do you know if Kohlberg's moral development thing is beta or alpha bias? I know its got bias but I dont know which kind. since he didnt use male participants (beta) yet said woman arent that morally developed (alpha)
    I've not started the controversies yet so I'm afraid I don't know but I'll have a look through my booklet when I can to see if there's anything in there about it also, there is a bias question in regards to diagnostic systems which is part of Abnormal Psychology. I just wondered if both questions (the bias one in controvs and bias one in abnormal) would contain the same content :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Ooo just found this thread exsisted I'm doing PY4 also. Not many people doing this one I don't think. Happy I found other people too! Found last year quite difficult..

ReputationRep:
    guysssss do we have to get like over 90% for ALL units for an A*??cos i really want one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikecookies)
    guysssss do we have to get like over 90% for ALL units for an A*??cos i really want one
    Yeah we have to get over 90% in both A2 modules (PY3 and PY4) and at least 80% at AS (PY1 and PY2) Basically you need an A at AS and A* at A2 to get the A* overall
    I'm soooo hoping for an A* too! It'd be greeeeat.

ReputationRep:
    Just read back over this thread. My college is useless, they just started teaching us and didn't explain to us the format of the exams or even that there were 4 different areas or whatever

We've been doing abormality, relationships, theories on hypnosis, gender and cultural bias, some statisics stuff (correlations hypothesis etc) and we'll be starting schizophrenia next week does this sound about right to people?

(Just wanted to check because last year only 5 people at my college got anything other than a U because it turned out they weren't teaching us the right things!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I've not started the controversies yet so I'm afraid I don't know but I'll have a look through my booklet when I can to see if there's anything in there about it also, there is a bias question in regards to diagnostic systems which is part of Abnormal Psychology. I just wondered if both questions (the bias one in controvs and bias one in abnormal) would contain the same content :dontknow:
    oh righttt I see, well I'm not sure if they are both similar or not since I don't do Abnormal (sorry) but I my gut feeling is they are completely different things (i.e. why would they make abnormal section have something similar to the controversies - it would mean more people chose abnormal just to save energy learning one extra controversy essay - off course I could be totally wrong)

Just read back over this thread. My college is useless, they just started teaching us and didn't explain to us the format of the exams or even that there were 4 different areas or whatever

We've been doing abormality, relationships, theories on hypnosis, gender and cultural bias, some statisics stuff (correlations hypothesis etc) and we'll be starting schizophrenia next week does this sound about right to people?

(Just wanted to check because last year only 5 people at my college got anything other than a U because it turned out they weren't teaching us the right things!)
    Hey :hello:
    hurray some else is doing Relationships

is the stat tests stuff for PY3 (are you doing that in June as well as PY4)?

to clear the other stuff...

There are five essays to learn in each topic/application, they will ask just for one of these essays from your chosen topics/applications

So you have just started
    your Relationships topic
    your Consciousness topic (the hypnosis stuff)
    your Abnormal application (the schiz stuff).
    Controversies is done by every college (it composes of 7 essays on things like nature-nurture, gender bias etc. it is possible to learn 6 essays if you are okay with not getting the choice of choosing a question in the exam)

In the exam you are required to do One topic essay , One Application essay , One extra essay from either another topic or another application, One controversy essay (they set two questions, you have a choice of which one you do)

EDIT: For the benefit of other people who are a little lost - I've created a guidance sheet on the original post which describes the format of the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Hey :hello:
    hurray some else is doing Relationships

is the stat tests stuff for PY3 (are you doing that in June as well as PY4)?

to clear the other stuff...

There are five essays to learn in each topic/application, they will ask just for one of these essays from your chosen topics/applications

So you have just started
    your Relationships topic
    your Consciousness topic (the hypnosis stuff)
    your Abnormal application (the schiz stuff).
    Controversies is done by every college (it composes of 7 essays on things like nature-nurture, gender bias etc. it is possible to learn 6 essays if you are okay with not getting the choice of choosing a question in the exam)

In the exam you are required to do One topic essay , One Application essay , One extra essay from either another topic or another application, One controversy essay (they set two questions, you have a choice of which one you do)

EDIT: For the benefit of other people who are a little lost - I've created a guidance sheet on the original post which describes the format of the exam.
    Thank you for that cleared things up in my head a bit anyway! Soo for controversies we should be learning more than just one area? We've only done gender bias and cultural bias - so in theory this won't be enough for that section?

How do you find relationships? Found it a bit dry if I'm honest lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Thank you for that cleared things up in my head a bit anyway! Soo for controversies we should be learning more than just one area? We've only done gender bias and cultural bias - so in theory this won't be enough for that section?

How do you find relationships? Found it a bit dry if I'm honest lol.
    Yeah, the gender bias is one essay, culture is another, nature-nurture another, is psychology a sciene is another and theres a few other ones. So gender/culture bias on its own isnt enough. I'm finding them quite hard =/

I'm finding relationships interesting if I'm honest, but I think it just might be because my teacher teaches it pretty well. We've done the formation and dissolution of relationships so far - just in the middle of understudied relationships.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the gender bias is one essay, culture is another, nature-nurture another, is psychology a sciene is another and theres a few other ones. So gender/culture bias on its own isnt enough. I'm finding them quite hard =/

I'm finding relationships interesting if I'm honest, but I think it just might be because my teacher teaches it pretty well. We've done the formation and dissolution of relationships so far - just in the middle of understudied relationships.
    Actually I could imagine it would be better with a good teacher! Ok thanks for that, I'll go get some books out the library and do some self-teaching
    Wow glad I found this thread! Would have been massively underprepared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Actually I could imagine it would be better with a good teacher! Ok thanks for that, I'll go get some books out the library and do some self-teaching
    Wow glad I found this thread! Would have been massively underprepared!
    I'm glad I've found you! (sounds like something out of a love letter :o: )
    nobody is doing it other than us two on this thread.
    Sounds sad I know but I like to self-teach as well - I like having the option of bouncing back and forth with having a teacher and some good books to get more info. Speaking of books - Do you recommend any good books.

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed, I'm the only guy on here that is studying wjec psych. :O

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I've found you! (sounds like something out of a love letter :o: )
    nobody is doing it other than us two on this thread.
    Sounds sad I know but I like to self-teach as well - I like having the option of bouncing back and forth with having a teacher and some good books to get more info. Speaking of books - Do you recommend any good books.
    I'll let you know if I find anything useful when I have a look on Monday (maybe Tuesday) in the library
    I do too! I had 5 months off last year so ended up having to teach myself, was difficult to get into but now I much prefer it
    Lol it does but I'm glad I've found you also, it's not my strongest subject so you can help me

EDIT: Just read your profile - you're a Manchester applicant. Love it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.