Turn on thread page Beta

Social Anxiety Disorder... watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else have this?

Told my GP my symptoms and she prescribed me pills which didn't work. My GP referred me to a psychiatrist. He said I have the classic symptoms of social anxiety and add me to the CBT waiting list....

So I'm waiting and while I'm waiting it seems as if my SA is getting worse. It's come to the point where it feel like I'm mentally disabled. Sometimes I can't physically open my mouth if I want to say something, my mind goes completely blank, I look and feel incredibly awkward. I look depressed all the time. And the thing is I try my best to look happy. When in group conversations I just smile and nod.

People are always telling me of my "potential", whether it may be with girls, academic work, football etc. but I just can't seem to live up to my "potential".

I went out last night and it seems as if I'm nearly brain dead. I don't want to use the word "retarded" but it feels as if I am.

People are suffering around the world starving, living in countries of war and have got real problems....and I suffer from this. It's just pathetic.

Anybody else have or had SA? I need REAL advice, not some ******** pills or pointless CBT.

After last night I don't feel down or depressed I feel genuinely sorry for myself because I have a "condition" I have no control over. How can something so trivial ruin my life? There must be some operation or something that can make me normal. I guess the world would rather do away with people like me. I don't blame ya. Everybody has there own problems, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolutionary)
    People are suffering around the world starving, living in countries of war and have got real problems....and I suffer from this. It's just pathetic.

Anybody else have or had SA? I need REAL advice, not some ******** pills or pointless CBT.
    Far from being pointless CBT is going to be of a lot more use to you than anything you'll get from TSR.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you ? Sometimes it's something you can just grow out of, i'm 18 nearly 19 and it seems to be getting better for me all a sudden, (i couldn't stop talking 2 nights ago at a party - drunk or not - never happened before!), did you give the pills long enough to work? I'm on 40mg citalopram and they seem to be working quite well, they calm my nerves a lot, but they don't do anything like preventing you from going 'blank',that's the problem i had above all but like i said i seem to have just grown out of it without doing much about it. But i know how painful it can be, the frustration was unbearable at times. I'm still very shy though, i can't for example just sit next to someone in a lecture and start talking to them, they have to approach me

pm me if you want

ReputationRep:
    I thought I did but it turned out I just have a problem with apprehension or something like that anyway there's something called "beta blockers" that are supposed to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I thought I did but it turned out I just have a problem with apprehension or something like that anyway there's something called "beta blockers" that are supposed to help.
    beta blockers only help with the physical symptoms of social anxiety like racing heart, sweating, they do nothing to you mentally & they can have nasty side effects

ReputationRep:
    I've been there. I was really bad, perhaps verging on agoraphobia.

I was recommended books by a lady called Claire Weekes. She is very good. I have the book for agoraphobia and you know, it actually helped me. Sometimes it was enough to even have the thing in my bag when I was out and about. She has other books on nerves, anxiety and the like, so it might be worth checking those out.

My second piece of advice is to try and get a job. Yes, I know you're probably thinking that's the worst idea right now, and so did I before I got one, I still thought it was stupid and that I knew everything in my first month, but I was forced to simply, and rather bluntly, get over myself. I'm not saying that you're arrogant, but I'm saying that it is possible to force your way through these things if you have pressure like that. For example, in my job I just sat there in silence at my desk. My boss asked me why I wasn't answering the phone - What can I say to this? So I was forced to overcome my fears and anxiety and now I can honestly say I'm one of the most confident people in the office.

Exercise is said to help as well. My doctor informed me that adrenaline that isn't used up through physical activity can instigate these kinds of things, so I also used to go for frequent bike rides which helped.

It is possible, and you can do it. If you want to talk about anything in more detail, please PM me. I'm more than happy to chat; I know just how debilitating it can be.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewk)
    beta blockers only help with the physical symptoms of social anxiety like racing heart, sweating, they do nothing to you mentally & they can have nasty side effects
    I guess then it is down to the individual to get over it. I don't believe in all that counseling stuff, it's a waste of time imo.

You sound like me. I'm too nervous to go see my GP even. 18, male.

I never realised there were so many other people with SA. I had heard that about 10% of people have it at some point in their life, didn't know if it was true though. Thought it was only me...

CBT should certainly help - at the vert least you've got nothing to lose by giving it a try. I don't really think pills should be seen as magic cure..they will most likely just take the edge off but the rest you need to overcome by yourself. I used to be ridiculously shy and awkward until I was about 17/18..now I'd say I'm just a bit reserved around most people but definately not just shy or awkward..just a bit quieter than your average person. But around my friends Im completely normal - so this may well be something that you grow out of. Try to bear in mind that you won't be coming across as bad as you think you are to other people - it generally feels worse than it looks! And it's also much better to be shy than to be arrogant and overly loud! You will most likely outgrow this in time depending on your age/circumstances. I found the main things that brought me out of my shell were leaving school and starting work..then even more so with starting uni. I think this is because in new situations no-one knows you so they don't have that preconception of you as the shy one. Anyway, try the CBT and give it time!

(Original post by Lewk)
    Agreed. They made my anxeity (GAD not SA) worse rather than better tbh after a strange reaction that only usually happens in asthmatics when I am not asthmatic.

OP, don't knock CBT until you have tried it. I did an online CBT course which made me realise where these feelings are coming from, but with it being online it didn't really help much whereas face-to-face CBT would. Why not give it a go?

I tried pills too and just been started on citalopram. But its too early to tell if it works or not. The beta-blockers certainly didn't and I refused to take some others as it is a stimulant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    I tried pills too and just been started on citalopram. But its too early to tell if it works or not. The beta-blockers certainly didn't and I refused to take some others as it is a stimulant.
    stick at the citalopram, it takes a long time to work but it does help eventually , though i noticed the difference when i was knocked up to 40mg dose, i noticed very little difference on 20mg

....i find alcohol works quite nicely too btw

ReputationRep:
    I have Social Anxiety Disorder. I'm on the wonderful Prozac, but I've been on it since before the SA manifested itself (for about 5 years) for depression.

Therapy can be bloody awful, you'll hate it and you'll think it's a waste of time. But it really helps. Once you find the right therapist, it can start to help. If nothing else, it can equip you with some tools that you can start trying to use. It's not going to go away overnight.

I've found socialanxietysupport.com really useful; they have a lot of information on there and the community's lovely.

I think possibly the worst thing about having it is that people don't know what it is, and just think you're being anti-social or disinterested.

ReputationRep:
    how bout u guys man up and quit the act

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilwaynefan)

How about you realise it's an actual psychological disorder and telling people to 'man up' is completely unreasonable?

(Original post by Lewk)
    stick at the citalopram, it takes a long time to work but it does help eventually , though i noticed the difference when i was knocked up to 40mg dose, i noticed very little difference on 20mg

....i find alcohol works quite nicely too btw
    Yea I will. I've only been on it a for a week so I'm gonna give it a go.

Alcohiol seems to make me more anxious as I found out last night
    How about you stfu and gtfo if your going to come here and critisise and not give helpful advice. You quite obviously have no idea about this sort of thing.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolutionary)
    Does anybody else have this?

People are always telling me of my "potential", whether it may be with girls, academic work, football etc. but I just can't seem to live up to my "potential".

After last night I don't feel down or depressed I feel genuinely sorry for myself because I have a "condition" I have no control over. How can something so trivial ruin my life? There must be some operation or something that can make me normal. I guess the world would rather do away with people like me. I don't blame ya. Everybody has there own problems, right?
    Ouch... feeling sorry for yourself does not help in my experience...
    Yes its something i bear, along with polarised mood swings, but I stated from the start that i wasnt going on any drugs. Talking helps, reading around the subject and self-helping is also really useful... if you are able read without dragging yourself down

I use meditation and reason to avoid panic attacks, not always effective but its life!!!
    I hate labels though so refuse to really be put under one, everyone is mentally different and prone to different behaviour, my nature is that I struggle to find a balance between extremes AND become severly anxious in social situations and potential situations

That is why so many people suffer, because its a way of thinking/feeling rather than an abstract condition
    It starts to pass once you understand whats going on and manage to relax more, be yourself (the essential you) more...

and remember you are not alone!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have SA also, and am currently having CBT and graduated exposure therapy for it. Personally, I hate it and I don't feel as if it is doing an awful lot...however it has really made me realise that the SA is all in my head and that it doesn't physically stop me from doing anything, so in some ways realising that has helped me to "bite the bullet" and start to do things I wouldn't have done before. So perhaps in that sense it is helping!

I don't think that any drug or (in my opinion) superficial therapy will ever help me to get over, or at least learn to cope with my SA - I basically got to the point where I decided that I wasn't going to let it ruin my life any more, and i've found that setting myself small targets to achieve each day really helps, for example going to the corner shop or whatever applies to you, and attempting to imitate those whom you perceive as being more socially confident. If only there were that miracle cure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Yea I will. I've only been on it a for a week so I'm gonna give it a go.

Alcohiol seems to make me more anxious as I found out last night

How about you stfu and gtfo if your going to come here and critisise and not give helpful advice. You quite obviously have no idea about this sort of thing.

Thanks
    damn girl, ima give u an advice, just drink and it will go

holla at me for more

ReputationRep:
    Human being: FAIL.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.