Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering how the living cost of Oxford compare with other universities??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I found much cheaper, tbh. Like you only pay for accommodation in the 27 weeks or so you're there (about £2700 for me but its college dependent), hall food is cheap and good, and the financial support seem very generous for those who qualify for it.

I don't know about living out though, for those at colleges who don't have 3 or 4 years accom'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I found much cheaper, tbh. Like you only pay for accommodation in the 27 weeks or so you're there (about £2700 for me but its college dependent), hall food is cheap and good, and the financial support seem very generous for those who qualify for it.

I don't know about living out though, for those at colleges who don't have 3 or 4 years accom'.
    Is eating in all the time cheaper than cooking then?
    I don't know why I just always thought it would be more expensive just coz of buying big bags of pasta etc?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kenny135)
    Is eating in all the time cheaper than cooking then?
    I don't know why I just always thought it would be more expensive just coz of buying big bags of pasta etc?
    Generally speaking cooking would still be cheaper yes. I just cba with cooking and i'd imagine nutritionally i'd get a better variety in hall plus its a social occasion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Generally speaking cooking would still be cheaper yes. I just cba with cooking and i'd imagine nutritionally i'd get a better variety in hall plus its a social occasion anyway.

yer I would imagine thats one of the highlights of "the typical Oxford" day
    are there facilities to cook in halls?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kenny135)
    yer I would imagine thats one of the highlights of "the typical Oxford" day
    are there facilities to cook in halls?
    Depends on college. I think all colleges have at least some provision, although we are among the worst i'd imagine (a communal kitchen for everyone and a few more in some of the houses but not all by any means and generally people sacrifice access to kitchen for a better room/set of rooms. However, we get cheap rents and better rooms, from what i've seen, hence why i didn't mind). If its important to you then look into facilities at each college.

ReputationRep:
    Too late now unfortunately --- I'm sure I will manage if I get the grades...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.