Living Costs at Oxford Watch

Kenny135
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was just wondering how the living cost of Oxford compare with other universities??
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I found much cheaper, tbh. Like you only pay for accommodation in the 27 weeks or so you're there (about £2700 for me but its college dependent), hall food is cheap and good, and the financial support seem very generous for those who qualify for it.

I don't know about living out though, for those at colleges who don't have 3 or 4 years accom'.
Kenny135
(Original post by nexttime)
I found much cheaper, tbh. Like you only pay for accommodation in the 27 weeks or so you're there (about £2700 for me but its college dependent), hall food is cheap and good, and the financial support seem very generous for those who qualify for it.

I don't know about living out though, for those at colleges who don't have 3 or 4 years accom'.
Is eating in all the time cheaper than cooking then?
I don't know why I just always thought it would be more expensive just coz of buying big bags of pasta etc?
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kenny135)
Is eating in all the time cheaper than cooking then?
I don't know why I just always thought it would be more expensive just coz of buying big bags of pasta etc?
Generally speaking cooking would still be cheaper yes. I just cba with cooking and i'd imagine nutritionally i'd get a better variety in hall plus its a social occasion anyway.
Kenny135
(Original post by nexttime)
Generally speaking cooking would still be cheaper yes. I just cba with cooking and i'd imagine nutritionally i'd get a better variety in hall plus its a social occasion anyway.

yer I would imagine thats one of the highlights of "the typical Oxford" day
are there facilities to cook in halls?
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kenny135)
yer I would imagine thats one of the highlights of "the typical Oxford" day
are there facilities to cook in halls?
Depends on college. I think all colleges have at least some provision, although we are among the worst i'd imagine (a communal kitchen for everyone and a few more in some of the houses but not all by any means and generally people sacrifice access to kitchen for a better room/set of rooms. However, we get cheap rents and better rooms, from what i've seen, hence why i didn't mind). If its important to you then look into facilities at each college.
Kenny135
Too late now unfortunately --- I'm sure I will manage if I get the grades...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (953)
79.88%
Leave (240)
20.12%

Watched Threads