Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just recieved my LNAT score and it was 9.

This is really a big shock because in the practices I was achieving around the 20 mark.

I think there may have been some sort of mistake.

I looked on the LNAT website but I cant find a telephone number or email address to contact them.

Should I also email the universities I applied to because I have not yet got any rejections from KCL, UCL or Notts?

PLEASE any help would be appreciated I am really desperate.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same boat , man.I usually got 17-20 on practice tests, but I only got 15 on my real one.

ReputationRep:
    You got 15. I got 9.

I think maybe the computer registered the answer below what I pressed.

Looked on the LNAT and PEARSONs website but there seems to be no email addressed/ contact addresses.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.lnat.ac.uk/2009/introduction/complaint.html

this is the nearest i can find to what you are looking for, i suppose you are complaining in a way. it might be worth a try to contact them here and they can point you in the right direction (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bringmesunshine)
    http://www.lnat.ac.uk/2009/introduction/complaint.html

this is the nearest i can find to what you are looking for, i suppose you are complaining in a way. it might be worth a try to contact them here and they can point you in the right direction (:
    Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it

(Original post by Lawapplicant)
    You got 15. I got 9.

I think maybe the computer registered the answer below what I pressed.

Looked on the LNAT and PEARSONs website but there seems to be no email addressed/ contact addresses.

I got 30 on all my practice tests and ended up with a 20.

While I'm sorry about what happened I doubt there was a mistake, the LNAT is not an easy test and one word can make all the difference. As for the computers registering below what you clicked, that doesn't happen (or, well, unless it has a massive virus or bug), you have time at the end to look over your answers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but you just have to accept it didn't go the way you would have liked. You can't complain to LNAT simply because you got a lower mark than in the practices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    I got 30 on all my practice tests and ended up with a 20.

While I'm sorry about what happened I doubt there was a mistake, the LNAT is not an easy test and one word can make all the difference. As for the computers registering below what you clicked, that doesn't happen (or, well, unless it has a massive virus or bug), you have time at the end to look over your answers.
    UCL have given out rejections on the basis of low LNAT scores. As I have not received a rejection yet and given that they have had my score from November, could it be that I was sent in an incorrect email?

I understand where you are coming from but you must appreciate the huge difference between the scores. I attended a LNAT practice day and there I had a mock test where I score 23. Obviously you are inclined to believe that I am lying and that a score of 9 is probably accurate of my ablity but acadamically I am sound. (7A* and 3As, 4 As (91% average), A*A*A predicition) I know the LNAT is not related to academic subjects but you can get a score of 8 just by GUESSING.

If you had achieved a score of 9 would you not be shocked and inclined to believe there had been an error of some sort?

ReputationRep:
    There is no way you can achieve e 9 by guessing.
    The probability of guessing right is 1/5, so we can assume that you get 1 right answer out of 5 guessed, which means 6 out of 30,if you are lucky.

ReputationRep:
    Guys ive got 17. Thats 13 marks off the total score. Is that considered okay? I must admit I didnt practice and regret it! My teacher said that a 17 wasnt good enough. Really depressed.

And sorry OP, I do hope for your sake that they have made a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    The computer never makes a mistake...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd agree with what some of the posters here have said, OP. It's very easy to score badly on the LNAT irrespective of your academic record. It's a verbal reasoning test (and a pretty bizarre one at that); I think a lot of the LNAT is based upon luck - you can score 27 in one test and <12 in another. To be scoring less than 10 if you've done so well in all your other trial runs does sound quite odd though, and it is something which you should definitely query.

Pearson will not have sent you somebody else's email, however. The score which the email says you achieved is the score which the universities will be told you have achieved. The only possible ground on which you could challenge the mark is if there has actually been an error with their system but as HDS has said, this is quite unlikely. I'm assuming that you've applied to a few non-LNAT schools anyway and you should also bear in mind that a lot of places are now beginning to doubt the usefulness of the LNAT test in helping to choose candidates.

(Original post by ibelongtoslytherin)
    Guys ive got 17. Thats 13 marks off the total score. Is that considered okay? I must admit I didnt practice and regret it! My teacher said that a 17 wasnt good enough. Really depressed.
    17 is a good mark - probably about average. You shouldn't be upset with 17 and with a score like that Nottingham would be unlikely to reject you purely on the basis of not having scored more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibelongtoslytherin)

And sorry OP, I do hope for your sake that they have made a mistake.
    That's one point above average. I actually got very rubbish scores in practice papers (12, 8 and 16) but I got a 20 in the real one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    I'd agree with what some of the posters here have said, OP. It's very easy to score badly on the LNAT irrespective of your academic record. It's a verbal reasoning test (and a pretty bizarre one at that); I think a lot of the LNAT is based upon luck - you can score 27 in one test and <12 in another. To be scoring less than 10 if you've done so well in all your other trial runs does sound quite odd though, and it is something which you should definitely query.

Pearson will not have sent you somebody else's email, however. The score which the email says you achieved is the score which the universities will be told you have achieved. The only possible ground on which you could challenge the mark is if there has actually been an error with their system but as HDS has said, this is quite unlikely. I'm assuming that you've applied to a few non-LNAT schools anyway and you should also bear in mind that a lot of places are now beginning to doubt the usefulness of the LNAT test in helping to choose candidates.

17 is a good mark - probably about average. You shouldn't be upset with 17 and with a score like that Nottingham would be unlikely to reject you purely on the basis of not having scored more.
    How do you think I should query this? Just by telling the facts that I did well in practices but appaling in the real one? What do you think my chances of success is? Should I ask whether I can maybe retake the test because I am confident that the scores will be different.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How do you think I should query this? Just by telling the facts that I did well in practices but appaling in the real one? What do you think my chances of success is? Should I ask whether I can maybe retake the test because I am confident that the scores will be different.
    I would ask if it's possible for you to be sent the test you sat, the answers you gave and a copy of what the correct answers should have been. The test is marked automatically by the computer itself so there could be an error but this is something which would have affected you and everybody else at that particular test centre.

Don't ask to sit the test again; you can only do this by reapplying. Similarly, just because you've done well in practice tests doesn't necessarily mean that you will or should have done well in the real one.

ReputationRep:
    I already said this in another thread, and I'll say it again here; there's no way they'll let you retake the test. You can't have a "second chance" with a test that most other law applicants could only do once.

UCL have given out rejections on the basis of low LNAT scores. As I have not received a rejection yet and given that they have had my score from November, could it be that I was sent in an incorrect email?
    Theoretically yes, but it is unlikely, if it will help you come to terms with it though by all means ask. UCL may be confused as your application may have been particularly strong...and...well....go from there.

I understand where you are coming from but you must appreciate the huge difference between the scores. I attended a LNAT practice day and there I had a mock test where I score 23.
    As I said, I did countless (literally....im on a year off so i had all the time in the world) tests, I scored perfect or 29 on every one of them, reality I scored 20.

Obviously you are inclined to believe that I am lying and that a score of 9 is probably accurate of my ablity but acadamically I am sound. (7A* and 3As, 4 As (91% average), A*A*A predicition) I know the LNAT is not related to academic subjects but you can get a score of 8 just by GUESSING.
    I don't think you're lying by any means. The LNAT however is no pointer of academic ability, Cambridge has stopped using it as a measure. You can't get 8 by guessing by any means however. The more questions there are the smaller the likelihood of guessing actually working. (Law of decreasing probability [?] I'm not a mathematician, don't quote me on that one)

http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/upub/sia/mchoice.htm

you'll find that the probability to score 5 out of 10 on a multiple choice test with 4 options to each question is 7.8 %

If you had achieved a score of 9 would you not be shocked and inclined to believe there had been an error of some sort?

Shocked? Yes, incredibly so.

Inclined to believe that there was an error? Personally no, while not infallible this is a very stable system that is continuously tested, the likelihood of a non-reproduceable bug (mad vlad correct me if i'm wrong.) screwing your test to that degree is....welll........infinitesimal as I said before. It's a well honed system and while errors can occur, the likelihood is minimal.

I mean, if indeed the test was choosing the answer below the one you picked then wouldn't it be likely that it will have done so for every candidate at that center or at least on that day?

If it will put your mind at ease do call them up though, wondering 'what if' will just eat away at you and is not a good thing. All I'm saying is be aware that the odds are against you on this one. Sorry.

As for letting you re-do it, thats not an option and they explicitly state that on their website, sorry.

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    See why I quoted you above. Thanks and sorry for the hassle:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Theoretically yes, but it is unlikely, if it will help you come to terms with it though by all means ask. UCL may be confused as your application may have been particularly strong...and...well....go from there.

As I said, I did countless (literally....im on a year off so i had all the time in the world) tests, I scored perfect or 29 on every one of them, reality I scored 20.

I don't think you're lying by any means. The LNAT however is no pointer of academic ability, Cambridge has stopped using it as a measure. You can't get 8 by guessing by any means however. The more questions there are the smaller the likelihood of guessing actually working. (Law of decreasing probability [?] I'm not a mathematician, don't quote me on that one)

http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/upub/sia/mchoice.htm

Shocked? Yes, incredibly so.

Inclined to believe that there was an error? Personally no, while not infallible this is a very stable system that is continuously tested, the likelihood of a non-reproduceable bug (mad vlad correct me if i'm wrong.) screwing your test to that degree is....welll........infinitesimal as I said before. It's a well honed system and while errors can occur, the likelihood is minimal.

I mean, if indeed the test was choosing the answer below the one you picked then wouldn't it be likely that it will have done so for every candidate at that center or at least on that day?

If it will put your mind at ease do call them up though, wondering 'what if' will just eat away at you and is not a good thing. All I'm saying is be aware that the odds are against you on this one. Sorry.

As for letting you re-do it, thats not an option and they explicitly state that on their website, sorry.

See why I quoted you above. Thanks and sorry for the hassle:o:
    No worries. While it's not really my area of expertise, Pearson VUE's platform is incredibly well tested; as will the LNAT test itself. The likelihood of you discovering some sort of bug is near enough zero.

OP, emailing the universities, wildly speculating that there was a glitch with the test, with no evidence other than "I did a lot better in the practice tests", will probably do more harm than good; especially considering that you want to study law. My advice would be, better luck next time.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.