Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right I have 2 problems. (Excuse my lack of jargon and that, I'll just describe thing as best as possible)

I had quite a bad virus, it posed as Vista Security Centre. You might know it, anyway it infected quite widely and somehow managed to code itself into Windows Security Centre. So when I went on that and clicked turn fire wall on (The virus disabled it) it linked back to Vista Security (the virus). Anyway I used Avast and it seems to have got rid of it but I want to;
    - Make sure the virus is gone, its currently in the vault. Is there anything I can do to follow it up and make sure its not lurking anywhere?
    - Restore my system, it won't let me reinstall iTunes, open skype, Windows security centre is ****** etc etc

My second problem is my USB ports are ******. Camera, iPod, external hard drive none of it works. I've tried updating the drivers, tried ports round the back and a few other things. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Is reformatting an option? Your computer sounds pretty ******, and properly clearing up may take a while.
    If not, there are a few suggestions that may clear up some of your problems.

ReputationRep:
    as its this bad. i'd personally just reinstall vista

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Is reformatting an option? Your computer sounds pretty ******, and properly clearing up may take a while.
    If not, there are a few suggestions that may clear up some of your problems.
    Thats the problem, I have 18 gig of music that isn't backed up anywhere because I can't get it off the hardrive without the USB ports working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppaloth)
    Thats the problem, I have 18 gig of music that isn't backed up anywhere because I can't get it off the hardrive without the USB ports working.
    Ok, if you have enough hard drive space, you could shrink your main partition (big enough to fit any required data on), add a new partition, copy the data to there etc etc.
    Question 1: How much hard drive space do you have, and how much is free?
    Question 2: Do you have a secondary computer you could copy via wireless to?

ReputationRep:
    You need to check the USB controller drivers are installed if you haven't already.

You can get your files off the hard drive easily using an Ubuntu Live Disc (unless there's something physically wrong with your USB ports/controller)

ReputationRep:
    Ok, if you have enough hard drive space, you could shrink your main partition (big enough to fit any required data on), add a new partition, copy the data to there etc etc.
    Question 1: How much hard drive space do you have, and how much is free?
    Question 2: Do you have a secondary computer you could copy via wireless to?

1. 740 gig free and a total size of 930 gig.

2. Sort of, there is another PC in the house.

How risky is this?

(Original post by JayEm)
    You need to check the USB controller drivers are installed if you haven't already.

You can get your files off the hard drive easily using an Ubuntu Live Disc (unless there's something physically wrong with your USB ports/controller)
    Yeah I have checked that, they aren't completely disconnected. At times the iPod has been recognised but it never syncs and normally crashes.

ReputationRep:
    Use Malwarebytes' Antimalware to scan for the virus in safe mode (with networking) and see if things get better.

Surely, if its not letting you install programs then the virus is still there?

ReputationRep:
    1. 740 gig free and a total size of 930 gig.

2. Sort of, there is another PC in the house.

How risky is this?

Yeah I have checked that, they aren't completely disconnected. At times the iPod has been recognised but it never syncs and normally crashes.
    Why sort of? If possible, why don't you transfer any files you need to the other pc, reinstall vista and transfer them back?
    If I (or someone else knowledgeable) walks you through it, there is no risk.
    Finally, a linux live cd to transfer files is quite a good idea.
    In my opinion, linux live > network transfer (take a long time) > partitioning > attempting to fix your computer as-is.

ReputationRep:
    Why sort of? If possible, why don't you transfer any files you need to the other pc, reinstall vista and transfer them back?
    If I (or someone else knowledgeable) walks you through it, there is no risk.
    Finally, a linux live cd to transfer files is quite a good idea.
    In my opinion, linux live > network transfer (take a long time) > partitioning > attempting to fix your computer as-is.
    How much would the linux live cost and how long do you think a network transfer would take?

ReputationRep:
    A linux disk costs the price of a blank CD.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/

ReputationRep:
    How much would the linux live cost and how long do you think a network transfer would take?
    JayEm gives good information.
    Personally I would reccomend knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/) for just retrieving files (it's designed to JUST be a live cd) but it's a matter of preference (and it too is free).

With a wireless G network at max average throughput....around 2 hours. Allowing for interference and many files, maybe triple it?
    For a 100Mbit ethernet connection at max throughput, about an hour (allowing for loss and for many files, maybe 2).
    Note I've pulled these figures out of a hat, but that's the kinda ballpark you're talking.

ReputationRep:
    To transfer 18GB of music not long. According to wolframalpha if you have 230mbs wifi 10 minutes 26.09 seconds (transfer time only, give or take time for windows). Or using 100mb Ethernet 24 minutes (transfer time only, give or take time for windows).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jt18)
    To transfer 18GB of music not long. According to wolframalpha if you have 230mbs wifi 10 minutes 26.09 seconds (transfer time only, give or take time for windows). Or using 100mb Ethernet 24 minutes (transfer time only, give or take time for windows).
    Sorry, how did you calculate this?
    By 'wolfram alpha' do you mean the calculator functionality or the 'knowledge engine'? Please note that if calculator, I'm about to get irritated.

ReputationRep:
    knowledge engine. I could have done it by hand, but typing 18GB at 100mb/s was much easier. Calculates true values of 18GB and 100mb speeds. Works out the time and then provides it in multiple formats. Loss on a home network should be little to none. I've transfer data all the time and it doesn't take long at all. Better than "Note I've pulled these figures out of a hat, but that's the kinda ballpark you're talking.". Until someone times it we will never know.
    Edit. Checked the net, someone else posted similar answers to mine (160 seconds per 2GB) which is the same as my Ethernet answer. Transfer speed in general is not limited by processing power or write speed due to the normal being greater than the transfer speed.

But then again, we all know what windows file transfers are like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jt18)
    knowledge engine. I could have done it by hand, but typing 18GB at 100mb/s was much easier. Calculates true values of 18GB and 100mb speeds. Works out the time and then provides it in multiple formats. Loss on a home network should be little to none. I've transfer data all the time and it doesn't take long at all. Better than "Note I've pulled these figures out of a hat, but that's the kinda ballpark you're talking.". Until someone times it we will never know.
    Right.
    Ethernet first:
    I acknowledge my figures (for ethernet) need to be halved. Dunno what happened. However, your figures aren't brilliant.
    Lots of small files takes a LOT longer to transfer than one big file. If they zipped it up (which would take a long time anyway), yes it would take around 25 minutes. With 18GB worth of 4MB files? Not a chance. I would at the very least add on 5-10 mins.

Now wireless:
    To be quite honest, your figures are BS.
    First, 230Mb/s assumes wireless N. Assumptions are bad, especially since people will very rarely upgrade routers.
    Second, there is no way wireless N will ever have a throughput of 230Mb/s unless you have an absolute kick-ass router and card (99% unlikely).

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys, I'll speak to my dad to see if I can borrow his computer.

I'll rep you all in the next few days

ReputationRep:
    Right guys, I've decided I'll do the ethernet thing. Then I can sync my iPod to the PC I ethernet'd it too just incase the USBs are physically damaged.

ReputationRep:
    Right guys, I've decided I'll do the ethernet thing. Then I can sync my iPod to the PC I ethernet'd it too just incase the USBs are physically damaged.
    You know if your music is all on your ipod already. You can just retrieve it using yamipod or something like that once you have your computer formatted?

Right.
    Ethernet first:
    I acknowledge my figures (for ethernet) need to be halved. Dunno what happened. However, your figures aren't brilliant.
    Lots of small files takes a LOT longer to transfer than one big file. If they zipped it up (which would take a long time anyway), yes it would take around 25 minutes. With 18GB worth of 4MB files? Not a chance. I would at the very least add on 5-10 mins.

Now wireless:
    To be quite honest, your figures are BS.
    First, 230Mb/s assumes wireless N. Assumptions are bad, especially since people will very rarely upgrade routers.
    Second, there is no way wireless N will ever have a throughput of 230Mb/s unless you have an absolute kick-ass router and card (99% unlikely).
    I did say on my post assuming that you have 230mbs or 100mbs transfer speeds. I also did state that this is the data transfer time. This is excluding the file creation. And by kick-ass, my run of the mill £60 router gets the full 230mbs.

Anyhow, I'm going to test it out now, see what speeds that we actually get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jt18)
    I did say on my post assuming that you have 230mbs or 100mbs transfer speeds. I also did state that this is the data transfer time. This is excluding the file creation. And by kick-ass, my run of the mill £60 router gets the full 230mbs.

Anyhow, I'm going to test it out now, see what speeds that we actually get.
    I await your answer with great interest. How do you mean it gets the full 230Mb/s? Do you use a network meter?
    And by kick ass, I was talking about the wireless N router type which supports 450Mb/s or 600Mb/s. I would be quite surprised if you got 230Mb/s actual throughput with a 300Mb/s raw throughput router.
    The problem with wireless N is the Mimo support, making it difficult to predict speeds unless you have all the info about the router.
    And excluding file creation is hardly useful. It's like saying a journey in the car is 10s, but is 2 mins walking, while discounting the time to unlock, get in, start up, get on the road, drive there, park, etc.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.