Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm thinking of having a party round my house this summer for my birthday (inviting around 40ish people). I've never hosted a party before so was just wondering if you guys have any tips? I know they're all my friends, but there are gonna be more than a few drunk people so are there any precautions you take? I obviously trust all of my friends, but when they're drunk you never know what they can do :p:

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you put anything valuable, or anything you don't want broken, into a LOCKED room. Damage is inevitable at a house party and there's not much you can do to prevent it, other than getting your friends to keep an eye out for anyone doing anything stupid (eg ripping off the skirting board, writing on the walls with lipstick and bizzarely, picking all the keys off the keyboard, all of which happened when I had one). And try to make sure that if people are going to be sick, get them to the bathroom. It's not fun having your bedroom smell of vomit, I can assure you.

ReputationRep:
    Put away vaulable things/fragile things.

Seriously something will invariably happen, just got to accept it as part of being a host.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, put stuff away.
    If there are any fights, tell them to take it outside.
    Unless you want a jizz-stained duvet in the morning I suggest you lock all bedroom doors.

Edit: If people do puke anywhere other than the toilet/garden, it's not your job to clean it up; it's theirs. If they can't handle their drink, then they shouldn't deserve to drink. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    Just lock up any valuables and be prepared for your parents/siblings/your bed to be used for certain things...Also, I personally can have a good time without alcohol, but make sure there's plenty cos if it all gets drank within the first hour everyone sobers up and gets bored cos they don't know what to do while sober. Get some food to line their stomachs and make sure there’s music.

Also be prepared to not have as good a night as everyone else cos you're just worrying that everything isn't getting smashed and hope everyone is having a good time etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    I hate hosting partys, a few people is okay, but partys...blergh.

ReputationRep:
    put down plastic sheets on any carpets, put any priceless ornaments away and use plastic cups, something will still happen, mind

ReputationRep:
    Puke points and various types of lasagne.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really recommend it unless:
    a) your house is a barn/stable/shack
    b)you are only inviting 3 people
    c) you're somebody who everyone respects and loves, who they wouldn't dare hurt

BUT your friends will love you if you throw one :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Make it strictly invite only.

I wouldn't do it at my place, ever. There's always one idiot who throws up or pisses on the carpet or does something.

But if you are really going to go ahead with it, just make sure you have everything covered.

ReputationRep:
    you provide drinks, not anyone else..or you won't know what **** is in them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky7337)
    :rofl:

Peepshow <3
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Enjoy the cleanup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky7337)
    Lol! i was thinking of that episode

ReputationRep:
    Lock everything that's moveable in the garage or a locked room. Even if it isn't fragile it might get vandalised. Put down sheets of plastic or old bedsheets over carpets. Remove all pens and sharp objects and anything else that could be used to write on the walls. Make it invite only ask and lock the doors. That is if you have a front door that you can only open from the inside without a key cos you can't stop people going out.
    Don't invite too many!!

ReputationRep:
    Plastic cups and paper plates - firstly will avoid breakages and secondly will make the clear-up operation easier. As has already been said, put away anything that you need to keep safe (this includes all the photo albums of you aged 2 naked in the bath as well as mum's priceless vase!) Try to make it clear if any rooms are out of bounds - even if it's just shutting those doors and leaving all the others open.

If you have a garden, put it to good use, especially in the summer - have tables with some/all of the drinks out there as it will mean less risk of spillages all over the living room. You could put some fairy lights/outdoor candles around it if you like. Drinkswise, depends on if you're going to be providing (expensive but you know what you've got) or if you want people to bring their own (riskier but much cheaper). Even if you've asked people to bring their own, it's worth having a bit of a back-up stock, with some of (depending on your guests): Beer, wine, spirits (vodka/rum are the most versatile), ??alcopops depending on the age/sophistication of your friends. If it's hot, have a bucket or two of ice outside to keep the beers/white wine in. And make sure there are LOADS of mixers - means the non-drinkers are happy and people are less likely to invent their own crazy dangerous shots. I'd advise providing some sort of food too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As someone said before, make it strictly invite only. It pisses people off if they're not invited but they think they should have, but at the end of the day there's always going to be a crowd of people who'll go along and cause chaos unless they know they're not welcome.
    Also, be prepared to have some stuff broken at the end of the night.
    And keep the noise down...you don't want the police coming over and ending the whole thing.

Also, you yourself might want to stay relatively sober in case anything kicks off.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid offering red wine as an alcohol option. At my 17th my friend spilled red wine all over my cream carpet :eek: I made him spend 2 hours scrubbing it out tho

Keep a back door open for people to rush out of if they need to puke and the loo is occupied.

Can't think of anything else that hasn't already been said.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not bolted down, people will steal it. Even if they're your friends, people do stupid things when they're drunk.

I had one and drunk people decided to slide down the stairs for fun, they were wearing their shoes and left giant black scuff marks all down the wall. That = unhappy parents + being forced into repainting the hallway on your weekend. Plus some decided it'd be a funny idea to hide the sky remote... in the pond :/

House parties are not good ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Napkins! Don't forget them. Such a guy thing to forget, one of my best friends hosted a BBQ the other week and while the food was good, he had nothing in the way of napkins. NOTHING! Maybe except toilet paper. I had to rush out and get some for everyone. Lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.