Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am planning to go to York in october as i have an unconditional offer from them. While I know the university will be fine, i have heard that north yorks area is quite racist ? I am indian myself, which may be even worse as ill stick out like a sore thumb ! This is mainly due to the BNP elections having a strong concentration in the area. Quite frankly i dont want to be walking in a city while people are hurling racist abuse at me....home is bad enough!

Can anyone offer some perspectives on this ? it would help if ethnic students did this as well. Its just this element that is kinda making me worried about going to York.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Dude, it's like 1960s Jo'berg there.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Ive seen this post before, the BNP concentration isn't in York it is in Sheffield/barnsley. Also York is the most friendly city of all and isn't racist at all.

ReputationRep:
    short answer is yes

Some are, and some aren't.

ReputationRep:
    The North is a weird place. I think Cumbria has one of the highest BNP concentrations and yet it's 99% white. Who are they trying to keep out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurkeyProphet)
    The North is a weird place. I think Cumbria has one of the highest BNP concentrations and yet it's 99% white. Who are they trying to keep out?
    White doesn't necessarily mean British.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the slaughter of all jews in york in the 13th century, I would say that its not rascist overtly. The town itself is very nice, so no.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    White doesn't necessarily mean British.
    Yeah you are right. It is 96.7% White British and 1.7% White Other. Which means there are probably 8,000 Polish in Cumbria. Guess I can't be as relaxed anymore!

ReputationRep:
    yes.. although it is a really nice place... yumm betty's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spl00sh)
    yes.. although it is a really nice place... yumm betty's
    tbh, i think betty's would make up for any racism :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    i have heard that north yorks area is quite racist ? This is mainly due to the BNP elections having a strong concentration in the area.

Don't know where you heard this from, but I'd suggest getting a better source.

North Yorkshire may have very few minorities, but it has very few anything. Nearest BNP councillor is probably 40+miles away [WEST Yorkshire, a different county altogether] and York's council is primarily Lib Dem.

York is tame. Very, very tame.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf? No.

ReputationRep:
    Nooo generally they are not at all ! I live about 45 mins away.
    They'll always be the odd small-minded person but its nothing to worry about there i wouldn't say.

ReputationRep:
    York, maybe, but its a University so its international enough, and not full of chavs

Cumbria on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    Not at all tbh

ReputationRep:
    Yorkshire and the Humber have a BNP MEP - voted for by about 12%, but if you take York's average, it was just about 6%, making York less BNP than the regional average.

ReputationRep:
    haah its good that ive got some clarity. My mates were talking about yorkshire in general so thts where I got it from.
    Once im in York, I doubt id be going to Cumbria right ?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a fair bit of racism in York, mostly just yorkshire people + alcohol though and never really things other than randomers making off hand comments to friends of mine. Mostly around micklegate past midnight.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sun, 16 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.