Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nope. My girlfriend is asian and hasn't experienced any racism at all. There isn't 0% racism, as with anywhere in the world, but it's probably one of the most non-racist places in Northern England. Also, you won't stick out like a sore thumb, UoY has a very healthy ethnic minority population.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it.

York's a fine city- you'll come across the occasional ass, but the overwhelming majority of people simply couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    There must be a couple of thousand non-White students at York and many don't even speak English fluently but they don't seem to encounter too many problems! People in York are very accustomed to welcoming outsiders given the importance of tourism to the city.

I am sure racism exists here though, I don't suppose there is a place in the world where it couldn't potentially be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    i have liven in york all my life and i don't think people are racist, they are really friendly its just that there isn't much diversity but i wouldn't be worried about racism
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    York racist?

Out of all the towns and cities in Yorkshire it's perhaps the least racist of the lot. Out of anywhere I've (both in and out of Yorkshire, it's probably the least racist place too).

So not, York is not that racist at all. There are also loads of international students or students in different minorities and the majority will probably never come across any racism and will be less likely to than in many other towns/cities.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, I was born in York, and much of my family lives in York, and as far as I know, there has been no trouble relating to racist abuse in their area. Part of the problem is one of the main employers of citizens in York was Aviva/Norwich Union. They took on many locals, and have now sacked/made redundant thousands of qualified people in favour of Indians. (I am not saying what they have done is bad - its very good in business terms, but you can understand if the odd person is a bit miffed that someone with no qualifications has taken their job, as they can be paid less.)

ReputationRep:
    My friend (who is of indian descent) said that she's never felt threatened or anything around York. She was one of 10 people (ish) in my whole year of 200 students that was not white though, so she was properly in the minority. She said that when she went to Leeds she felt there was more of a hostile feeling though.

ReputationRep:
    I've never noticed any racism either in campus or in the town. Granted I am white so I'm not as tuned to it I suppose, since I'm not really at risk of falling victim to it. However, York Uni has a high international ratio so I doubt you'd have any problems.

ReputationRep:
    I went to visit york the other day and didnt encounter any problems. The people were actually really cool and welcoming (as opposed to my home city London) and the place is amazing. Just firmed it now, York here I come!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.