1. Comprehensive
    2. Grammar
    3. Private/ Independent

ReputationRep:
    Comprehensive and proud of it.

ReputationRep:
    me too! didnt want2 go to the local grammar school

ReputationRep:
    comprehensive, though i wish i could have gone to a grammar because i would have got a better education there.

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between the three? sorry to sound a bit dense but I've always seen grammar and independent used interchangably when referring to my school in particular.

ReputationRep:
    technically it was a high school, and selective...but still it was a comprehensive when i started, so i ticked that box.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Comprehensive and proud of it.

This may be true for some schools, but I didn't enjoy my state education one bit.

ReputationRep:
    Education is more than getting grades though. That is only part of it. Some of the stuff I have seen at my comp school was very good education. I've seen how the poor live etc and that is a very valuable thing to know.

One of the students in my class got shot dead last year in a drugs deal that went wrong (3 years after he both left school).

ReputationRep:
    comprehensive...funnily enough was a great decision ( i got into the girls grammar but decided i didnt want to go), things have ended up fantastically..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    This may be true for some schools, but I didn't enjoy my state education one bit.
    I didn't enjoy mine either.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen how the poor live etc and that is a very valuable thing to know.

I wish I knew how to be that patronising.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that was badly worded. I was simply meaning that I have seen how poorer people live and I know that are just ordinary people like the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I knew how to be that patronising.
    Funny - I didn't see any patronising there. I think that if you do not experience hardships in your life then you cannot always appreciate just how fortunate you are. To see how some people have to survive can be an eye-opener and will hopefully make you determined to try to help those less fortunate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Funny - I didn't see any patronising there. I think that if you do not experience hardships in your life then you cannot always appreciate just how fortunate you are. To see how some people have to survive can be an eye-opener and will hopefully make you determined to try to help those less fortunate.
    I am sure he didn't intend to be, but I think the way it was written most people would consider it patronising. Sounded a little like a Tory politician.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure he didn't intend to be, but I think the way it was written most people would consider it patronising. Sounded a little like a Tory politician.
    yep, i agree. there are certainly better things to be said of comprehensive schools than their provision of an education of how poor people live.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't just go to your average compehensive though. At my school 70% or more of the students were on free dinners. There was two ques, one for the dinner tickets and one for the teachers.

That is why I mentioned it. And I know a good size of them people who are now doing very well at university or what ever.

It made me realise that I wasn't poor, before going to that school I used to think I was poor I know realise I am not and my background is quite afluent in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't just go to your average compehensive though. At my school 70% or more of the students were on free dinners. There was two ques, one for the dinner tickets and one for the teachers.

That is why I mentioned it. And I know a good size of them people who are now doing very well at university or what ever.

It made me realise that I wasn't poor, before going to that school I used to think I was poor I know realise I am not and my background is quite afluent in comparison.
    Yes- but surely that wasn't the most important thing that particular comprehensive school taught you. It would have perhaps been better if you'd have made the above statement in your original post. As originally worded it did appear to be something of a blanket statement on the comprehensive sector. While allowing for the fact that it was your own personal experience in one (perhaps isolated case) makes the original statement less patronising, i'll stick by my guns. i think that comprehensive education (even your experience of comprehensive education) has more value to it than as an insight into ones own, or other people's poverty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsLite)
    I know this will provoke reaction...but an independent...by far the BEST
    Erm....no. Are you an AS or A2 student?

ReputationRep:
    I am completly agree but in my case I cannot say it gave me a very good academic education. I got some of the highest GCSE in my year I got 5 C's and 4 D's. Only 9 people out of 100 got 5 C's or more. The school has since shut down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsLite)
    Hahahaha....who the helll does A2???
    Well duh brain. A-level contains two parts, AS level and A2 level. As is done in the fist year and A2 is done in the second year.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.