York:PAFI
    50.00%
    Exeter:finance and investment
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    I have recieved both two offers.
    Yorkroject analysis,finance and investment
    Exeter:finance and investment.

i`m from china,and not very familiar with these two schools,just wondering which is better?
    plz give me some useful advises on these 2 schools,including its reputations,the scientific research abalities,etc.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Both are good universities but for business I would say Exeter has the better reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    Both are good universities but for business I would say Exeter has the better reputation.

thank u so much for your advise!^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicole0129)
    thank u so much for your advise!^^
    Thats okay, I mean I can't speak for finance precisely only business schools in general but Exeter is usually ranked in the top 7 schools in the country for business where as York is not usually regarded as a top 20 business school however there is no doubt it is a good university.

ReputationRep:
    After some more research it appears Exeter is ranked even higher for finance than it is for business so therefore IMO it is by far the better option, but it is of course upto you. Better spend your time at the university you prefer

ReputationRep:
    After some more research it appears Exeter is ranked even higher for finance than it is for business so therefore IMO it is by far the better option, but it is of course upto you. Better spend your time at the university you prefer

3Q~you know in China,employers regard the World Reputations more important than whether it is excellent in some certain academic circles.
    So,this makes me hesitate whether to choose YORK,which is world known or Exeter,which is very excellent in finance area,but not known by most chinese people.
    I searched Q-S,York ranked 77,the top 100.But there is no exeter.so,it is hard for me to make a decision.

ReputationRep:
    3Q~you know in China,employers regard the World Reputations more important than whether it is excellent in some certain academic circles.
    So,this makes me hesitate whether to choose YORK,which is world known or Exeter,which is very excellent in finance area,but not known by most chinese people.
    I searched Q-S,York ranked 77,the top 100.But there is no exeter.so,it is hard for me to make a decision.
    Ah in which case I would say it is up to where you want to work. If in China then perhaps York would be the better option. I'm afraid I can only speak on behalf of the UK views.

ReputationRep:
    Ah in which case I would say it is up to where you want to work. If in China then perhaps York would be the better option. I'm afraid I can only speak on behalf of the UK views.

The key point is ,it is said that it`s hard for an international student to be employed in UK after they graduate from the one-year Master degree`s study,especially in financial area.Is that ture?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    The key point is ,it is said that it`s hard for an international student to be employed in UK after they graduate from the one-year Master degree`s study,especially in financial area.Is that ture?:confused:
    I'm no expert in the field by any measure but I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I have a number of friends who have relatives who have been international students who now work at respected banks. Your CV is what you make of it and its probably fair to say that in today's climate a 2.1 from a decent uni is not enough on its own. You need a good degree, good extra curriculars and work experience

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert in the field by any measure but I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I have a number of friends who have relatives who have been international students who now work at respected banks. Your CV is what you make of it and its probably fair to say that in today's climate a 2.1 from a decent uni is not enough on its own. You need a good degree, good extra curriculars and work experience

sorry,i`m not very clear what u mean by saying:its probably fair to say that in today's climate a 2.1 from a decent uni? But i got your key point.

ReputationRep:
    sorry,i`m not very clear what u mean by saying:its probably fair to say that in today's climate a 2.1 from a decent uni? But i got your key point.
    Oh well a 2.1 is an undergraduate degree mark

ReputationRep:
    Oh well a 2.1 is an undergraduate degree mark
    Exeter write that: As a student on the MSc Finance and Investment you will be eligible for the award of the CISI Diploma and will therefore receive a globally recognised, professional certificate in addition to your Masters degree.Are u familiar with the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) ?

ReputationRep:
    Exeter write that: As a student on the MSc Finance and Investment you will be eligible for the award of the CISI Diploma and will therefore receive a globally recognised, professional certificate in addition to your Masters degree.Are u familiar with the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) ?
    Cant say Ive ever really heard of it but then again Finance is not my area. It sounds good though I'm guessing it is a prequisite to become a member of CISI which may be necessary for a job in banking involving Securities and Investments. Either way its another thing to add to your CV against maybe someone that doesnt have it

ReputationRep:
    anyone else could give me some advises? 3Q~~

ReputationRep:
    hey, I had a simalar issue (although it was for undergraduate) I had to decide between going to york or exeter to study business/finance. I looked into it a good deal and finally decided to go to exeter. Both universities had advantages and disadvantages. If your most important criteria is going to a university which ranked highly internationally then york might suit your needs better as it is ranked 77 (or something like that as you said) in the QS rankings, (exeter is ranked approx. 200). However, in my opinion rankings are not the most important thing. It is important to take into account that york is not well known for business and finance. The York management school is a rather new school and does not have as an established reputation as the Exeter Business School. Exeter in all the UK rankings outperforms york for subjects such as finance/business/accounting etc. so this is something to take into account. I visited both campuses and also prefferred the Exeter campus, the location is quite nice (in the south of england) and the campus is very green and welcoming. The york campus is also nice but it is in the north so the weather is generally worse.

Therefore to sum it up York-overall perhaps better reputation internationally, Exeter- better uni for business/finance etc. However, in exeter's defence it does seem to be a uni on the rise (it's been climbing up the rankings these past few years :P, although who knows if it will continue to do so

In the end of the day they are both good unis, you should go with your instinct :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrand)
    hey, I had a simalar issue (although it was for undergraduate) I had to decide between going to york or exeter to study business/finance. I looked into it a good deal and finally decided to go to exeter. Both universities had advantages and disadvantages. If your most important criteria is going to a university which ranked highly internationally then york might suit your needs better as it is ranked 77 (or something like that as you said) in the QS rankings, (exeter is ranked approx. 200). However, in my opinion rankings are not the most important thing. It is important to take into account that york is not well known for business and finance. The York management school is a rather new school and does not have as an established reputation as the Exeter Business School. Exeter in all the UK rankings outperforms york for subjects such as finance/business/accounting etc. so this is something to take into account. I visited both campuses and also prefferred the Exeter campus, the location is quite nice (in the south of england) and the campus is very green and welcoming. The york campus is also nice but it is in the north so the weather is generally worse.

Therefore to sum it up York-overall perhaps better reputation internationally, Exeter- better uni for business/finance etc. However, in exeter's defence it does seem to be a uni on the rise (it's been climbing up the rankings these past few years :P, although who knows if it will continue to do so

In the end of the day they are both good unis, you should go with your instinct :P

3Q for your analysis:yes: and now,to sum up these opinions ,i have decided to choose Exeter,too

ReputationRep:
    Hey, and between Exeter and Durham, what do you think is the best choice for MSc Finance and Investment? In terms of reputation, quality, etc.. The location it is not as important as terms mentioned above...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.