Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, great to become part of this community of helpful people!

Anyways, I'm in Year 10 and currently choosing our 2 GCSE's for next year (We do 1 year courses at our school) and this year I'm currently doing History and French.

I'm set on taking Geography as one option next year, but cannot decide on either German, Ap. Business or PE

I'm aiming for all A's and A*'s (At the moment, all French coursework and mocks have been A*!) - I've been considering German for some time as 2 Language GCSE's looks great these days? But to show I'm not only academic, I took Music in Year 9.

I was wondering from you guys what may be most worthwhile - My own struggle with German is whether it is going to be hard work with us still doing most of our GCSE's next year; should I take a subject with less hassle and stress like Ap. Business (But I've heard it can be boring - I'm interested in facts and figures rather than how a business works )

Am looking forward to hearing all your suggestions and thanks once again!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm curious as to how your one year GCSE courses work?

Anyway, I haven't taken Applied Business but those who have in my year have got a lot of coursework. I'm taking both German and French, though, and it really depends on your strengths in languages whether you want to take German next year. Obviously, you're currently doing well in French, and since French and German have the same types of exams (the only difference being the language). So, I think German might be better.

Sadly, I can't really say anything about PE. I'm biased against it as I hate PE.

ReputationRep:
    OK, obviously I'm pretty biased towards German because I actually did it. I ended up getting a B with absolutely terrible teaching (until three months before the exam) and relatively little effort. And obviously you're good at languages, and German is a fairly easy one to learn in terms of vocabulary and pronounciation.

Dunno about Business, but I don't see PE being particularly important unless you want to do more of it in the future.

Also, GCSE Geography ftw :top:

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Guys!

Basically, we have 1 day's worth of lessons each week for our options that we choose (I have French Monday-Wednesday and a full day of History on Thursday :eek: ).

What I'm more interested in is if two languages make a big difference at GCSE when Universities take a look at what you took.

Does it make a big difference, or do they generally just look at the grades that you achieved?

Thanks once again!

ReputationRep:
    do you have any idea what you want to do at uni yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Crashin I)
    What I'm more interested in is if two languages make a big difference at GCSE when Universities take a look at what you took.

Does it make a big difference, or do they generally just look at the grades that you achieved?
    I think it does depend what you're applying to uni to do. If you're undecided, then German would be regarded as a more challenging subject than PE or Applied Business, so I'd be more inclined to go for German.

ReputationRep:
    German is the most useful out of the three imo.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do PE. It is one of the hardest to get an an A/A* in because, although the theory is easy it only counts for 40%; the practical is worth 60% and its very difficult to get full marks as you have to be good at the sport and the teacher/examiner has to like you to give you a high grade in your 4 practical activities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    do you have any idea what you want to do at uni yet?
    I'm really interested in finance and economics for sure - hence why I was thinking of taking Business; although the syllabus doesn't contain these aspects that I find interesting.

I've always found German easier than French, but is it worth doing a subject like this that may bring a lot of work when doing all the other GCSE's next year?

Also, I think our school is changing to the "New" GCSE with AQA when there's no coursework - 2 written pieces in controlled conditions instead :mad:

Really, is it worth the extra work taking German?

Thanks once again guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Crashin I)
    I'm really interested in finance and economics for sure - hence why I was thinking of taking Business; although the syllabus doesn't contain these aspects that I find interesting.

I've always found German easier than French, but is it worth doing a subject like this that may bring a lot of work when doing all the other GCSE's next year?

Also, I think our school is changing to the "New" GCSE with AQA when there's no coursework - 2 written pieces in controlled conditions instead :mad:

Really, is it worth the extra work taking German?

Thanks once again guys!
    Well i've heard that German actually gets a lot harder when you go up to GCSE compared to French (despite everyone finding it easy when in year 9/10) :dontnknow:

I do Applied Business for A level but can't speak for it at GCSE but it's relatively easy to get a good mark in it if you do the work (and you could say in your personal statement when you reach that point that you'd been interested since exploring subjects related to it at GCSE :dontknow:) and German is a LOT of work especially as you're already doing French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    German is a LOT of work especially as you're already doing French.
    My French GCSE will be done by June as we're doing one year courses (first year group to do it in our school :eek3: ) if German looks far better on Uni application, then is it worth taking?

You could say in your personal statement when you reach that point that you'd been interested since exploring subjects related to it at GCSE
    That is very true!

ReputationRep:
    I would say do German - it looks better than the other two. There's no point doing PE unless you want to continue it later, and you can do A Level Business Studies without the GCSE.

Currently, I do French AS (took the GCSE in year 10) and GCSE German and it works fine. I'm doing OCR for the GCSE and AQA for the A Level, both of which have no coursework, and it's working fine. The content of GCSE German is so much easier than it was for French.

ReputationRep:
    I would say business - im taking applied business at the moment and its certainly the most interesting and its quite easy to get your A's/A*'s if your good at coursework. I also took german which was a big regret for me - a complete waste of time. Its seriously hard to get above a C unless you are confident with speaking it fluently especially in the speaking exam. You also need to know a lot of vocab which takes a lot of time and need to be so imagionative to get above a C in coursework. Also your taking french as well - i don't think you should take another language. Business gives it more variety and plus you will have so many speaking paragraphs to learn, i mean a lot. P.E is also useless unless you want to take it further. Business is the one

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't imagine that taking two languages at GCSE would not make a massive difference for universities. What I mean is that not taking two won't disadvantage you IMO.

However, I'd suggest doing German anyway (I may be slightly biased because I can't stand PE :p:) But I Would Definitely Pick German over Applied Business or PE (its more respected and I imagine it would be much more fun! - again biased as I love languages :p:)

However, you should just take what you enjoy the most. If you enjoy German, and think you could manage with the workload (it would be similar to French) then do it.
    If you don't think you could cope with the extra workload of German then do Applied Business or PE!

Hope that helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    There are a number of considerations.

You need to think about what you would enjoy because you are unlikely to suceed in a subject that you find boring.

You might also want to try to assess where your academic peak is. In order to aim for your best, it is useful to try to have some idea of the type of discipline that this might be in.

If you can, try to find out details about the assessment method. Applied Business is a vocational qualification and as such there is a lot of coursework. It is also worth bearing in mind that there are written components for GCSE PE as well.

There is a national shortage of people doing at least one language because this is no longer enforced by the government past the age of 14.

If you are interested in applying to ancient universities - especially Oxbridge - PE and vocational subjects are often considered to be unacademic, but this applies to a greater extent at A-level.

I hope this helps. Good luck in making your decision.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.