Turn on thread page Beta

I've been at Uni for 5 months now, I try be friendly to everyone I meet, I act confident (I used to be confident but, now I have no confidence), I try to stay positive, I'm outgoing and I have a life (I've joined various societies and sports teams I enjoy - Kickboxing, Boxing, Public Speaking, Football etc.), I go down to the bar whenever anything is on and I try to go out clubbing as much as I can (although I'm only ever invited if it's a thing with everyone in our halls or if it's someones birthday or something)

Anyway, despite all this I have absolutely no friends, I have no idea why but, I think people must think I'm socially awkward or weird even though I've not done anything wrong. Everyone else is in their friendship groups and most people have student houses for next year but, not me. I have no idea why but, no one likes me and I'm ******* miserable here. I feel like dropping out because everyday it just gets worse and worse. I just don't know what to do anymore because it just seems like there's no point to anything.

That's it I guess, so does anyone have any advice on how to get myself out of this hole of misery and make friends? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Go chat in your university's subforum and meet friendly TSRians? My old uni subforum had meetups and they were a good laugh.

ReputationRep:
    have you tried to initiate any meet ups? because if you want friends sometimes you have to make the first move
    when you say you have no friends, do you mean that you aren't in a group?
    maybe you should spend time really trying to get to know someone, and not just saying the odd comment, you have all of the opportunities, you just need to make plans to go out with people, and form friendships good luck and don't drop out

(Original post by jessie437)
    have you tried to initiate any meet ups? because if you want friends sometimes you have to make the first move
    sounds like a good idea, I have asked people in lectures and stuff if they want to hang out afterwards and I've tried organising one or two other things but, most of the time I get rejected.
    when you say you have no friends, do you mean that you aren't in a group?
    That's one thing, everyone has a group they hang out with, the other thing is that I've not made friends with anyone at all on an individual level either
    maybe you should spend time really trying to get to know someone, and not just saying the odd comment, you have all of the opportunities, you just need to make plans to go out with people, and form friendships good luck and don't drop out
    I do try and get to know people yet, I feel like they're all close accquaintances, for some reason I have no idea how to bridge the gap from accquaintance to friendship, I guess arranging to go out is the answer but, most people are already in groups and stuff so it's hard to arrange to go out when they hang round each others flat and barely anyone goes to the bar in our halls so it's hard.

(Original post by Ham22)
    don't drop out because of your social life. you will regret it.

maybe you have lots of money though and it won't matter if you just keep trying differnt unis until one works out.

who can say.
    I was thinking of dropping out and reapplying to another uni so hopefully my social situation would be better there, Unless I can find some way of feeling less miserable (which I'm trying to do) then I can't see any reason to stay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was thinking of dropping out and reapplying to another uni so hopefully my social situation would be better there, Unless I can find some way of feeling less miserable (which I'm trying to do) then I can't see any reason to stay
    OK so you might be feeling like you have no friends in the world but I'm sure if you told the few people you do talk to that you're feeling really down and you just need some good close people to hang out with they'd just invite you out with them.

I had this exact same problem going into my second year, I lived with my boyfriend so I always had him to go to but if you start keeping in touch with a couple of people in particular and talk to them online, in lectures etc. try to hang out with them at lunch etc. then I'm sure they'll invite you out and things with them and you'll soon have a close knit group. Believe me, I know how hard it is but I know things will get better, I don't think it's worth jeopardising your degree over. Hope this helps, feel free to PM x

ReputationRep:
    I think the main question here is whether or not you enjoy your uni course? If you do, then there is no reason to drop out solely because of a 'crap social life'...because at the end of the day, you're at uni to get a decent degree. (Right?)

If you start feelin really lonely, what about your home friends? Can you arrange to visit them at their unis, or vice versa..or go home at weekends?

(Original post by Queen_Pinky)
    I think the main question here is whether or not you enjoy your uni course? If you do, then there is no reason to drop out solely because of a 'crap social life'...because at the end of the day, you're at uni to get a decent degree. (Right?)
    I guess so but, I don't see the point of being here if it's making me miserable - there are times when I love my course but, other times when I hate it but, I suppose that's true with everyone
    If you start feelin really lonely, what about your home friends? Can you arrange to visit them at their unis, or vice versa..or go home at weekends?
    Actually, 2 of them came to visit and stayed overnight on Tuesday, It's been a strange week because on Monday I went out had a great time, talked to some people and had fun however, on Thursday after my friends left I went out clubbing and just felt socially rejected by everyone there, I left early and ended up drunkenly chatting to a mate from home on the phone and she reccomended I come home next week and talk to her about it but, I'm not sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.