Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How would i find an inverse of a matrix using row reduction?

Its really confusing me, and my lecturer is terrible, she didnt really explain.

I understand that it needs to have a zero determinant, but i dont understand the method.

For example if i had the matrix
    (a b c)
    (d e f)
    (g h i)

(sorry i dont know how to write matrices on computers... that is all one matrix)

Thanks for all the help, i just need to know the method
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Augment your matrix with the identity matrix, which basically means "stick them together", like this:

\left(\begin{array}{c c c|c c c} a&b&c&1&0&0 \\ d&e&f&0&1&0 \\ g&h&i&0&0&1 \end{array}\right)

and then perform row operations on the whole 3*6 matrix. (Ignore the vertical line for this purpose - it doesn't do anything special, it just serves as a convenient reminder of where your original matrix was and where the identity matrix was.) Your aim is to use row operations to turn the bit to the left of the vertical line into the identity matrix; once you've done that, the bit to the right of the vertical line will be the inverse of your original matrix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Augment your matrix with the identity matrix, which basically means "stick them together", like this:

\left(\begin{array}{c c c|c c c} a&b&c&1&0&0 \\ d&e&f&0&1&0 \\ g&h&i&0&0&1 \end{array}\right)

and then perform row operations on the whole 3*6 matrix. (Ignore the vertical line for this purpose - it doesn't do anything special, it just serves as a convenient reminder of where your original matrix was and where the identity matrix was.) Your aim is to use row operations to turn the bit to the left of the vertical line into the identity matrix; once you've done that, the bit to the right of the vertical line will be the inverse of your original matrix.
    Okay i think i understand a bit better. How do i use row operation to do that though? I change the matrix on the right to the matrix on the left?
    Sorry i really dont understand matrices.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ponpon14)
    Okay i think i understand a bit better. How do i use row operation to do that though? I change the matrix on the right to the matrix on the left?
    Sorry i really dont understand matrices.
    No, you ignore the matrix on the right. Use row operations on the whole matrix, but only concentrate on the matrix on the left (the matrix on the right will secretly keep track of things without you paying too much attention to it), and changing the matrix on the left into the identity. (Do you understand how you use row operations? If I told you to forget about augmenting the matrix and just use row operations to change your original matrix into the identity, would you know how?)

ReputationRep:
    http://math.uww.edu/~mcfarlat/inverse.htm

This site shows a worked example for the method that generalebriety just described.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, yeah thats making a bit more sense. Il do some practice now and see where i get Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Sorry, never mind. Ive figured it out after a very silly moment!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.