Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    I was wondering if anyone could help answer my questions

I am a gap year resit student. Got an Alevel in Maths (Edexcel) with the modules c1,c2,c3,c4 and s1,s2. Got a B overall. I am resitting S2 and C3 to get an A this year.

However I want to pick up AS maths in my gap year too. However I do NOT want to do mechanics (I tried it for a while and hated it). I am aiming for an A in this too.

My questions are:
    What modules can i take to get an AS in further maths? - I know I can do D1,FP1, but what else? (apart from mechanics)

Which exam board should I go with? Are AQA better than Edexcel?

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated!

ps. probably important to know that I have to self teach!

ReputationRep:
    D2 is just as easy as D1.
    If you do D1, D2 and FP1 I think you'll find it even easier than normal A Level Maths
    Edit: I do OCR all those modules are fairly easy with them. Not sure about other exam boards though.

ReputationRep:
    Were you okay with C4? If so, try FP2 or FP3.
    Otherwise, S3 is quite nice, especially if you enjoyed S1 and S2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky21)
    D2 is just as easy as D1.
    If you do D1, D2 and FP1 I think you'll find it even easier than normal A Level Maths
    Edit: I do OCR all those modules are fairly easy with them. Not sure about other exam boards though.
    Hi thanks for your reply.
    I had heard D1 was quite easy, I personally havent looked at it myself so I dont know if I will. I hadnt thought about doing D2, thanks for the suggestion I'll look into it!

Really not sure which exam board to go with though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    Were you okay with C4? If so, try FP2 or FP3.
    Otherwise, S3 is quite nice, especially if you enjoyed S1 and S2.
    I doubt I would enjoy FP3 and FP2, i didnt realyl like c4! Was my weakest module.

Hmm i had thought about s3 as i have already done s1 and s2. Have you done it? What is it like?

Bare in mind I have to self-teach these modules!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsP)
    Hi thanks for your reply.
    I had heard D1 was quite easy, I personally havent looked at it myself so I dont know if I will. I hadnt thought about doing D2, thanks for the suggestion I'll look into it!

Really not sure which exam board to go with though
    I would stick with Edexcel, because if you end up with a situation where you can swap one of the modules you do for further maths with a module you did for maths to get an A, then you'll only be able to do this if you're with the same exam board.

ReputationRep:
    OCR are respected but definately a challenge. Depends if you want it for employers or for uni i guess.

ReputationRep:
    I would stick with Edexcel, because if you end up with a situation where you can swap one of the modules you do for further maths with a module you did for maths to get an A, then you'll only be able to do this if you're with the same exam board.
    Thanks, I'll bare that in mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsP)
    I doubt I would enjoy FP3 and FP2, i didnt realyl like c4! Was my weakest module.

Hmm i had thought about s3 as i have already done s1 and s2. Have you done it? What is it like?

Bare in mind I have to self-teach these modules!
    Not sure how the S modules are done on Edexcel, but for WJEC it's like this:

S1: Basic probability rules, Baye's theorem, Binomial dist., Poisson dist., Approximation of Poisson to Binomial, E(aX + b) = aE(X) + b, Var(X) = a^2Var(X)
    S2: Uniform (rectangular) dist., Normal dist., approximations of Binomiala and Poisson to Normal, Hypothesis testing (one and two tailed tests), continuity corrections

S3: Sampling. Our beloved formula for standard deviation (no longer just "E(X^2) - E^2(X)". It's the one that you use in other subjects. It's also in the formula book, BUT, the form it's in is rarely ever the 'best' one.
    Estimators; determining the best estimator.
    Student t-distribution
    Further hypothesis testing, to include confidence intervals
    Method of least squares. This is just plugging numbers into a formula!

So basically, I'm pretty sure S3 on Edexcel will be something like:
    student t-dist.
    hypothesis testing
    sampling

and whatever I wrote above that you haven't already covered.

If you have a good understanding of S1 and S2, then you should be able to self teach S3. If you don't though, then I wouldn't attempt it.
    I would never have understood a thing in statistics without it being taught to me! But I had to self teach alot of S3 because... I like not going to lessons. :p: It was fine though because I was taught S2 very well.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how the S modules are done on Edexcel, but for WJEC it's like this:

S1: Basic probability rules, Baye's theorem, Binomial dist., Poisson dist., Approximation of Poisson to Binomial, E(aX + b) = aE(X) + b, Var(X) = a^2Var(X)
    S2: Uniform (rectangular) dist., Normal dist., approximations of Binomiala and Poisson to Normal, Hypothesis testing (one and two tailed tests), continuity corrections

S3: Sampling. Our beloved formula for standard deviation (no longer just "E(X^2) - E^2(X)". It's the one that you use in other subjects. It's also in the formula book, BUT, the form it's in is rarely ever the 'best' one.
    Estimators; determining the best estimator.
    Student t-distribution
    Further hypothesis testing, to include confidence intervals
    Method of least squares. This is just plugging numbers into a formula!

So basically, I'm pretty sure S3 on Edexcel will be something like:
    student t-dist.
    hypothesis testing
    sampling

and whatever I wrote above that you haven't already covered.

If you have a good understanding of S1 and S2, then you should be able to self teach S3. If you don't though, then I wouldn't attempt it.
    I would never have understood a thing in statistics without it being taught to me! But I had to self teach alot of S3 because... I like not going to lessons. :p: It was fine though because I was taught S2 very well.
    Hmm our topics are the same, but kind of mixed around i.e. learnt some topics in your s2, in our s1 and vice versa.
    When learning s2, i was surprised how short and small our spec was. Only 4 chapters in the textbook to give you an idea. It was simple too, and regarded as one of the easiest modules in alevel maths!. So im wondering now how big is s3, if you have an idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsP)
    Hi guys
    I was wondering if anyone could help answer my questions

I am a gap year resit student. Got an Alevel in Maths (Edexcel) with the modules c1,c2,c3,c4 and s1,s2. Got a B overall. I am resitting S2 and C3 to get an A this year.

However I want to pick up AS maths in my gap year too. However I do NOT want to do mechanics (I tried it for a while and hated it). I am aiming for an A in this too.

My questions are:
    What modules can i take to get an AS in further maths? - I know I can do D1,FP1, but what else? (apart from mechanics)

Which exam board should I go with? Are AQA better than Edexcel?

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated!

ps. probably important to know that I have to self teach!
    I am pretty sure you can pick any other statistics/decision module in the series. I think you should go for S3 or D2... maybe you can do FP2 if you want? I hate all the FP modules though. :yep: I'm doing maths and FM with Edexcel and I think they're fine. No idea about the other exam boards though. :no: Hope that helps though in some way! :p:

Edit: just realised you wrote that you probably wouldn't enjoy any more of the FP modules. I'm doing D1 atm and just like S1 it's self - teachable. I am being taught D1 atm but I know I'll end up teaching myself most of the contents of the modules which I still have remaining. :p: For the S3 contents, have a look inside this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/04...pt#reader-page .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly-Star)
    I am pretty sure you can pick any other statistics/decision module in the series. I think you should go for S3 or D2... maybe you can do FP2 if you want? I hate all the FP modules though. :yep: I'm doing maths and FM with Edexcel and I think they're fine. No idea about the other exam boards though. :no: Hope that helps though in some way! :p:
    thank you! i think il stick with edexcel
    which modules do you do? if you dont mind me asking! just trying to see how people find modules so it can help me pick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsP)
    thank you! i think il stick with edexcel
    which modules do you do? if you dont mind me asking! just trying to see how people find modules so it can help me pick
    Have a look at my post again, it's got some more info on it which you might find useful. :yep: Sorry about that. :p: For my AS maths I'm doing C1, C2 & M1. For my AS FM I'm doing FP1, S1 & D1. I didn't really choose cos it was the school's decision but I'm happy with that. Though I will be upset if I did better in FM modules than my normal one haha. :yep: But next year I think I have more of a choice but I'm not planning to do FM next year though! :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd stick with edexcel, as another poster has mentioned it means your grades will be optimized by moving your applied modules around if necessary. You'll need to do FP1 for an AS in futher maths and after that I'd recommend S3 and either D1 or FP2...D1 is easier...but can be difficult to maintain interest with it especially if you're teaching yourself, FP2 is more interesting, but more difficult and wouldn't be easy to time things to fit in FP1 and FP2 before Summer...whereas you could study S3, D1 and FP1 simultaneously :yep:

This site has a list of edexcel modules:

http://www.mathsnetalevel.com/index....yllabus&s=EDEX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsP)
    Hmm our topics are the same, but kind of mixed around i.e. learnt some topics in your s2, in our s1 and vice versa.
    When learning s2, i was surprised how short and small our spec was. Only 4 chapters in the textbook to give you an idea. It was simple too, and regarded as one of the easiest modules in alevel maths!. So im wondering now how big is s3, if you have an idea?
    S3 is small, but don't be fooled. I dunno how it is for Edexcel, but for WJEC, it's sort of synoptic. I know that in some way, all the modules that aren't X'1' are, but S3 really is. You're not really given any distributions, and you need to work out your own means and standard deviations. You need to work out which distribution you need, and then usually approximate it to the normal distribution, often using a continuity correct, and then apply your results to a hypothesis test, often after finding the confidence interval for the overall question. Stuff like that! It's actually quite fun/interesting. Much more than the typical "Oh look, this follows a poisson distribution. Here is the mean. What's the variance? Oh, they're the same LOL! Anyway, now find P(X=2). Oh, you have the formula in the formula book, LOL! Oh well, here's an A. "

After looking at the contents page of the book that someone above linked to, it seems the same as what I've said above except there is no student t-distribution. There's something else instead though ("contingency tables"? wat?) and the regression thing in the method of least squares thing. It's just pluggin numbers into the GIGANTIC FORMULA usually at the back of the formula booklet. With all the Sxx things.

In fact, I have to start relearning S3 myself. Last summer I 'only' got 71, not sure why. I really liked it. I'm gonna resit to try and get 90+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will1692)
    OCR are respected but definately a challenge. Depends if you want it for employers or for uni i guess.
    Is there really that much difference between the difficulty of the exam boards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky21)
    Is there really that much difference between the difficulty of the exam boards?
    Not across the whole a level but OCR have been a bit strange recently, AQA and OCR are well respected, and ocr has oxbridge in its name.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.