Turn on thread page Beta

help used the wrong ink! watch

ReputationRep:
    i used blue ink for my c1 and c2 papers. While almost everyone i know used black ink. I'm expecting full in c1 and an a in c2, will blue ink affect my chances?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you can write in either blue or black... at least you could when I did a levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    I'm pretty sure you can write in either blue or black... at least you could when I did a levels!
    As far as I know, any of the ones that are OMR read and anything you write in a lined booklet has to be in black ink. We were told not to use blue in any of our exams, but they were all AQA where you don't anwer next to the questions, and I have no idea how the maths is set up.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the exam board. Some are really strict about that sort of thing, and will take away marks because it 'might affect the legibility of your work' for the markers. AQA are pretty strict, but if it's any other board you'll probably get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    mine is edexcel. when i gave me eco unit it was written use black ink and i did so.
    however i didn't find any such thing on my math papers.

ReputationRep:
    I did edexcel maths and yes you do have to use black ink as it's machine read.

ReputationRep:
    The rule is black ink and has been for a while
    Blue ink does not scan well and most awarding bodies incl. Edexcel are now scanning papers to distribute them to markers, it improves efficiency of the process and minimises risk that your paper will be lost in distribution. Blue may make your paper harder to read on screen for the marker.
    It will p*** them off but in the end it will not affect your result.

ReputationRep:
    Did the same 2 years ago when black ink only was introduced. I contacted the examing board who said at that point would be okay they prefer black but blue is machine readable. They also asked if school had put up notices outside room and offered black pens (assume they were meant to) when I said no, they noted it. Ended up with an A so all okay. If u are very worried give them a ring and they will hopefully put your mind at rest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an overseas student. You think it would be possible to contact them via British council?

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought you could find contact details for overseas student on the examining boards website.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry they're not out to get you over something so trivial. As others have said it might not scan properly and maybe they have to do something manually and one Edexcel worker swears under his/her breath. But seriously, they're not going to take off marks for that - if they did it'd probably be a tabloid news story..

ReputationRep:
    thanks was really worried.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.