Turn on thread page Beta

John Denham's right: It's class, not race, that determines Britain's have-nots... watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's a sentence you don't often see, so make the most of it: yesterday, a New Labour minister got something right. John Denham, the Communities Secretary, has shifted the focus of the Government's anti-discrimination efforts towards class and away from race. "We must avoid a one-dimensional debate that assumes all minority ethnic people are disadvantaged," he said. "The landscape has changed... if the cause of disadvantage is social class, we will promote opportunity."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...have-nots.html

It mentions about British Indians, Pakistanis and Banlgadeshis how they are the same ethnic group but just are descendants of the new countries of Pakistan in Bangladesh from India.

It shows are parallel between the three groups in Britian today...that Indians are better-off and more middle-class and then about the Chinese and Arabs.

That it has nothing to do with Race or Religion but Class.

I think this is not correct, Yes many Indians seem to be wealthy these days but they are still derived from the poor backgrounds of thier ancestors.

I think its to do with a much higher work-ethic and a better life for the families back home and here in UK.

What do you think? Are individuals better off in Britain in terms of wealth,income and education due to class rather than race?

Feel free to post

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think that, to say people are better off due to class is quite a circular statement - because surely your class is all about how well off you are!
    It would be like saying "Your weight determines how heavy you are". No, your weight is how heavy you are.

I agree with him in that race and religion don't determine how well off you are. It's not like a person can't get a high paying job and a good education just because he's Bangladeshi, or Muslim or something like that. It may simply be that different types of people have come from different places. For example, people who originally came here as students might end up more well off than people who originally came as refugees.

I think the standards of wealth and education etc. here are mainly due to the reason why a person came here in the first place. If a person came here as an educated, white-collar professional, he'll probably have more wealth than someone who came as an unskilled labourer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I think that, to say people are better off due to class is quite a circular statement - because surely your class is all about how well off you are!
    It would be like saying "Your weight determines how heavy you are". No, your weight is how heavy you are.

I agree with him in that race and religion don't determine how well off you are. It's not like a person can't get a high paying job and a good education just because he's Bangladeshi, or Muslim or something like that. It may simply be that different types of people have come from different places. For example, people who originally came here as students might end up more well off than people who originally came as refugees.
    Yeh thats true..its all about equality in opportunity. Many other factors also aswell.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.