Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Does anybody have any good info on what the JPM trading conversion rate is like historically?

Feel free to break it down by desk if you can.

Thanks.

Andy

ReputationRep:
    Last year JPM markets took, from what I understand, 4 trading interns from a class of ~35 interns. Historically lower than average but JPM conversion isn't impressively high.

ReputationRep:
    Last year, the desk that made me an offer hasn't converted an intern in the past three or so years, and the most junior guy was a VP.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard 25 pc. Got a couple of friends doing sales-trading who were converted from summer '08.

JPM barely recruited for markets this year though. Didn't open grad recruitment and it sounds like they only took a few of the interns.

ReputationRep:
    Back in 2008 I remember a friend telling me that 12 out of 80 got offers. Not sure who was included in those 80 though. S&T+IBD interns should be more than 80 I guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)

Didn't open grad recruitment and it sounds like they only took a few of the interns.
    I know people who have been offered JPM Trading as a grad position who did not intern there during summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiiiiiigh123)
    I know people who have been offered JPM Trading as a grad position who did not intern there during summer.
    not the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    not the same thing

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply it was.

It does however show that either the summer interns weren't of 'JPM calibre', or that desk specific internships make it tougher to be recruited even if you are capable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiiiiiigh123)
    I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply it was.

It does however show that either the summer interns weren't of 'JPM calibre', or that desk specific internships make it tougher to be recruited even if you are capable.
    probably true.

i find it amusing how banks reject interns after they have been exposed as being not qualified yet good at ************ in interviews, only to then hire people from... interviews (who've also been rejected after doing an internship at another bank, so are likely to be a similar character).

ReputationRep:
    probably true.

i find it amusing how banks reject interns after they have been exposed as being not qualified yet good at ************ in interviews, only to then hire people from... interviews (who've also been rejected after doing an internship at another bank, so are likely to be a similar character).
    Same.

It is slightly bizarre. Similarly though, a BB has hired me and I've never even been on a trading floor. Had some pretty hefty internship stuff pricing exotic swaptions for a consultancy though...

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly low conversion....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon65)
    Hi all,

Does anybody have any good info on what the JPM trading conversion rate is like historically?

Feel free to break it down by desk if you can.

Thanks.

Andy
    have you got an offer then with them Andy?
    I had a few 2nd rounds interviews with them about a week ago. And Im just waiting to hear from them. I wonder how long I need to wait?

Anyone know how many trading interns JPM takes on each year in total?

ReputationRep:
    probably true.

Amen. Couldn't agree more. They're all spoilt with 1000s of applicants. And given that an internship is a 9 or 10 week interview, converting an offer at the likes of GS/JPM is harder than having 5/6 grad interviews there and doing it that way.

ReputationRep:
    There were 40 in STR this summer. If 25% was the number for trading on it's own - to a degree understandable, however implying they only took 10 from the summer scheme is a bit farfetched.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtOfWar)
    have you got an offer then with them Andy?
    I had a few 2nd rounds interviews with them about a week ago. And Im just waiting to hear from them. I wonder how long I need to wait?

Anyone know how many trading interns JPM takes on each year in total?
    I had interviews in the afternoon and heard the next morning - if it's been a week I'd call them...

ReputationRep:
    I had interviews in the afternoon and heard the next morning - if it's been a week I'd call them...
    It really depends on how many people they are interviewing for a particular desk... If you were one of the first, it may take a while since they still have more people to interview. If you were the last (or only) it will be much faster...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthecoast)
    It really depends on how many people they are interviewing for a particular desk... If you were one of the first, it may take a while since they still have more people to interview. If you were the last (or only) it will be much faster...
    good point

ReputationRep:
    which desk did u interview with? I assume you got an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtOfWar)
    which desk did u interview with? I assume you got an offer.
    Would rather not say - I did get the offer though

ReputationRep:
    Would rather not say - I did get the offer though

yeah I can understand. I'm just trying to see if we were interviewed on the same desk, if so then I can stop waiting thats all. My last interview was on last tuesday. When was yours? thanks

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.