Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would You EVER USE THIS SERVICE? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you try this service?
    Yes! - I reckon I'd use it alot.
    20.79%
    Maybe! - id try it once and see if I liked it.
    40.59%
    No! - I would never even try this, no one gets late night cravings.
    38.61%

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am thinking of starting an on campus business called DormSnacks.

Basically it's a snack delivery service that delivers straight to your dorm room up to 3AM, so whenever you have a craving late at night, you can either phone in/text/go online and order the snack you wish and it'll get delivered within 10-15 minutes, if delivery exceeds beyond that you get your snack free of charge...

Snacks would range from frozen means to crisps, dips, drinks, everything really except cooked stuff

the prices would not be too expensive, for example a bottle of coke costing 1.29 usually in shops, I would sell for 1.40 that's just an example not specific pricing.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am thinking of starting an on campus business called DormSnacks.

Basically it's a snack delivery service that delivers straight to your dorm room up to 3AM, so whenever you have a craving late at night, you can either phone in/text/go online and order the snack you wish and it'll get delivered within 10-15 minutes, if delivery exceeds beyond that you get your snack free of charge...

Snacks would range from frozen means to crisps, dips, drinks, everything really except cooked stuff

the prices would not be too expensive, for example a bottle of coke costing 1.29 usually in shops, I would sell for 1.40 that's just an example not specific pricing.

So do you reckon you would ever use this service if it existed on your campus, would you try it out and see if it's a good service or not try it at all?

Also please vote in poll,

thanks for your time.

ReputationRep:
    probably not.

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea how often I've craved that service at 2am... I'd use it like every night and get totally obese in the process. :p:

ReputationRep:
    1.40 for coke?

Absolutely no way.

Surely people would have food in their rooms anyway so I don't really see this working but it's worth a shot? Maybe do a uni questionnaire to see the interest levels?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but rarely...

ReputationRep:
    The average student's waistline will increase.

ReputationRep:
    I know a very similar service in Birmingham which delivers alcohol (mainly for parties and get-togethers) and it's pretty popular.

Definitely give it a go. Never mind asking around and doing surveys.

The best way to go is to really think through your business plan, your stock, your rules and stuff and get a flyer printed and put it through doors, and make sure you get that word of mouth going.

This could be the beginning of something big, make sure you kick it off correctly.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I'll buy coke in bulk.

ReputationRep:
    Bottle of coke for 1.40? I can get it for a £1 and less from Asda.

I wouldn't use it.

ReputationRep:
    im not sure it would be all that successful tbh. does your campus have shops? newsagents and whatnot? i think people would rather walk to the shop and get snacks cheaper + without a delivery cost. the snacks are a luxury item, i dont think people would pay premium prices/delivery for this kind of product (and thats coming from a chocolate/crisp lover).
    plus i doubt you'd make much money, i dont think you'd get enough business to make a decent profit... i really dont see much of a market in this idea im afraid.

like someone else said. carry out a questionairre or give it a trial run and see what kind of interest it generates. you would have to promote it hard if you wanted it to make a reasonable amount of money.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it could be more popular for people organising parties or for those in catered halls. I had all the food I ever needed in my flat last year as I was self-catered, so wouldn't have used the service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    Bottle of coke for 1.40? I can get it for a £1 and less from Asda.

I wouldn't use it.

It was juSt an example FFS...let me rephrase it, something that costs 1 pound I'd sell for 1.10.

ReputationRep:
    no..i'd stock up during the day for purposes like this

ReputationRep:
    I would've used it as a student, but not at the price you used as an example.

You'd be better off buying your products in bulk at a cash and carry, getting low prices yourself, and then selling them on (with delivery) for the same price they would be in the shops. This would mean that a customer is getting their order delivered at a cost no higher than they'd have to pay to walk to the shops, but you could also make a profit.

ReputationRep:
    I think some people would use it, but I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)

You'd be better off buying your products in bulk at a cash and carry, getting low prices yourself, and then selling them on (with delivery) for the same price they would be in the shops. This would mean that a customer is getting their order delivered at a cost no higher than they'd have to pay to walk to the shops, but you could also make a profit.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    What if..I sold at the same price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawIsBraw)
    What if..I sold at the same price.
    How on earth will you make a profit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)

Yeah good idea thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.