Turn on thread page Beta

Would You EVER USE THIS SERVICE? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you try this service?
    Yes! - I reckon I'd use it alot.
    20.79%
    Maybe! - id try it once and see if I liked it.
    40.59%
    No! - I would never even try this, no one gets late night cravings.
    38.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawIsBraw)
    What if..I sold at the same price.
    Sounds like a real money spinner.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I have snacks in bulk in a cupboard should I need them.

Although not everyone is like me and a lot of people get the munchies or alcohol induced lack of care towards their health/weight.

You'd do well to compete with the traditional student late night munch which is fast food places that are open late.

ReputationRep:
    To clear some stuff up:

I would higher staff depending on the amount of demand.

I would buy wholesale, however I would charge a small delivery rate for orders after 11PM.

Therefore say an item costing £1, delivered to you before 11PM would cost £1, after 11PM, say a 5/10% delivery fee, so it would cost £1.05 or £1.10.

I could also supply items such as tea and milk etc.

Even if there is a local shop, are you seriously going to go out in the cold/rain while you're sitting in the warmth of your room and perhaps trying to revise? No. And how often is a mate going to be out at the exact same time you want a snack...

If you have someone working for you delivering stuff, the amount of money they can make in one hour with a profit of about 10p per delivery isn't even going to be enough to pay them minimum wage. If it's just people ordering a bottle of Coke or a Mars bar or whatever, then you would have to be doing dozens of deliveries every hour just to make enough money to pay one person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    If you have someone working for you delivering stuff, the amount of money they can make in one hour with a profit of about 10p per delivery isn't even going to be enough to pay them minimum wage. If it's just people ordering a bottle of Coke or a Mars bar or whatever, then you would have to be doing dozens of deliveries every hour just to make enough money to pay one person.

Yeah you're right, I think the problem here is not that there isn't a market, it's just the profit margins...

However, perhaps buying wholesale, with say for example, an item costing 1 pound, if i could buy for like 30-40p, then that is 60p profit in the item alone...so that could be perhaps one delivery, say on average a delivery will be two snacks, that is 1.20 a delivery...

But how many deliveries can I get is the question... Because personally, i'd just buy all my snacks whenever I went shopping...I think it needs a bit of thought put into it, but perhaps it's not the best of ideas...

Thanks for your contribution.

ReputationRep:
    Well the polls aren't looking too good...

ReputationRep:
    your poll options are stupid. i would never use that but i do get middle of the night cravings.

ReputationRep:
    When I am a 30sec walk from my own fridge, no.

ReputationRep:
    Where will you store all the milk and perishable items?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamasamaka)
    I know a very similar service in Birmingham which delivers alcohol (mainly for parties and get-togethers) and it's pretty popular.

Definitely give it a go. Never mind asking around and doing surveys.

The best way to go is to really think through your business plan, your stock, your rules and stuff and get a flyer printed and put it through doors, and make sure you get that word of mouth going.

This could be the beginning of something big, make sure you kick it off correctly.

Good luck
    what's the number for this service?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it'd be pretty popular....but after nights out I've noticed a lot of students tend to order pizza rather than anything else. However if they're offered an alternative then yeah probably as most people would be impressed with the quick delivery.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to just buy food I like and eat that. But I can see other people using it. Especially if you deliver alcohol

ReputationRep:
    It was juSt an example FFS...let me rephrase it, something that costs 1 pound I'd sell for 1.10.
    oh yes! because paying MORE than the RRP is DEFINITELY what I want as a broke student

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.