Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of putting Badock as my first choice... is this generally considered a more oversubscribed hall? And if so, which ones should then be eliminated as a second choice, due to also being oversubscribed? Does anyone know how often people at Bristol usually get their first choice?

ReputationRep:
    85% get either their first or second choice, if this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonbeatific)
    85% get either their first or second choice, if this helps.
    Do you know anything about Badock and Hiatt Baker? As I am thinking of putting one for my first, and the other for my second

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinetik)
    Do you know anything about Badock and Hiatt Baker? As I am thinking of putting one for my first, and the other for my second
    Just took a look at the accommodation prospectus, there is about 440 places for Badock Hall and slightly less then this selected it as their first choice. So it was not over subscribed as a first choice. Hiatt was first choice to about 160 applications for first choice, with simular amount of places as Badock. Hope this helps, quote or pm me If you want to ask anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Hiatt Baker is phenomenally amazing, and thus should obviously be your first choice

ReputationRep:
    I vaguely remember there being something on the website with a Red, Yellow and Green rating - red halls are oversubscribed, yellows are roughly equal and greens are undersubscribed (in general).

I'll see if I can find it, but Badock isn't generally oversubscribed. It is pretty awesome though (or was in my year). HB was the king though! <i have to say that>

ReputationRep:
    When you are sent the accommodation prospectus later in the yearthere will be a bar chart showing you the difference between the number of places per hall/house and the number of first choice applicants for them. You'll be able to see then how popular/ oversubscribed certain accomodation is. Ones which are undersubscribed though are not automatically rubbish .

Ruth xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonbeatific)
    Just took a look at the accommodation prospectus, there is about 440 places for Badock Hall and slightly less then this selected it as their first choice. So it was not over subscribed as a first choice. Hiatt was first choice to about 160 applications for first choice, with simular amount of places as Badock. Hope this helps, quote or pm me If you want to ask anything else.
    Uh wrong. Normally that's the case... but last year Badock had double the number of applicants as they had places (probably because of the credit crunch and people wanting cheaper accomodation... but not UH :ninja:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinetik)
    I'm thinking of putting Badock as my first choice... is this generally considered a more oversubscribed hall? And if so, which ones should then be eliminated as a second choice, due to also being oversubscribed? Does anyone know how often people at Bristol usually get their first choice?
    The figures for not last year but the year before are in here in a little graph
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodati...prospectus.pdf
    but I'm sure when there is an accom prospectus for this year it will have a similar table

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about Badock, but Hiatt Baker is generally pretty undersubscribed. I'm saying this because Bristol was my insurance place (which means I'm pretty much bottom priority for accomodation) HB was my second choice, and I still got in! Which doesn't mean that it's bad by any means, Hiatt Baker is amazing! Fact.

Also, we're the only catered hall with proper kitchens. Doesn't seem like a major selling point, but it's a lifesaver at weekends

Definitely check out the updated graph in the prospectus though, that's probably your best indication of how oversubscribed halls are

ReputationRep:
    hey, sorry to bump a dead thread but just got my accomodation guide through and it didn't have the oversubscribed chart thing and I couldn't find last years as all the sites link to the new prospectus. I'm thinking Goldney as 1st but also >love< CHH but I know I won't get it, like Wills (same), hawthorns, durdham and manor hall so far. Can someone link me to one or let me know which is best to put as a 2nd offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watchtheskyx)
    hey, sorry to bump a dead thread but just got my accomodation guide through and it didn't have the oversubscribed chart thing and I couldn't find last years as all the sites link to the new prospectus. I'm thinking Goldney as 1st but also >love< CHH but I know I won't get it, like Wills (same), hawthorns, durdham and manor hall so far. Can someone link me to one or let me know which is best to put as a 2nd offer?
    Hi, you're better off asking questions in this thread as it is all about Bristol accom. and it has like 1000s of posts over the years.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...81178&page=239

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.