Labour battles back - possibility of a hung parliament or Labour majority heightens! Watch

alecangeltess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
In 2 opinion polls published today, it came to light that Labour are on an excellent increase.

The Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/elec...oll-shows.html

YouGov Poll shows only a 7 point lead for the Tories, meaning a hung parliament if replicated on May 6th.

Sky: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Pol...15538571?f=rss

Ipsos MORI poll, the same that showed devastating results for Labour in December, now shows a six point increase for the party, with only an 8 point lead for the Tories.

Most crucially however, is this, indicating a Labour majority for another 5 years:

"The headline figures were based on the 52% of those quizzed who said they were certain to vote.

But if all 78% who expressed a preference were included, the Tory lead drops to just 4% - 38% to 34%.

That would leave Labour as the largest party and could pave the way for Mr Brown to remain in Downing Street.

He would control 300 seats, compared to 278 for the Conservatives and 38 for the Lib Dems."

With Cameron's policies becoming heavily scrutinised, and even a great deal of rightists shunning a progressive Conservative Party, along with a general backlash, most notably across the Internet, against the Conservatives, it looks likely these uncertain of voting will - to keep the Tories out.

Thoughts? Personally I'm elated.
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alecangeltess)
In 2 opinion polls published today, it came to light that Labour are on an excellent increase.

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.
paddyman4
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The threat of a Labour win will likely motivate more people to vote. I can't stress enough how bad another Labour term will be for this country. If they get in again it will be off the back of more false promises that people have been too stupid to see through.
alecangeltess
Rep:
?
(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.
A large increase is a month is certainly remarkable, and characterises the process of excelling.
alecangeltess
Rep:
?
(Original post by paddyman4)
The threat of a Labour win will likely motivate more people to vote. I can't stress enough how bad another Labour term will be for this country. If they get in again it will be off the back of more false promises that people have been too stupid to see through.
Really? I think more people are worried by a Conservative win and what that would mean for the country.
paddyman4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A large increase is a month is certainly remarkable, and characterises the process of excelling.
I think he couldn't agree with you more, but I'm not confident I've deciphered it correctly.
aeonflux
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Labour have been in power too long, and I'm not a tory supporter, but any party thats been in power for 12 years gets begins to loose sight of its aims IMO.
Rubgish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paddyman4)
I can't stress enough how bad a Conserative term will be for this country. Both main parties are pretty crap, but I know i'd rather have Brown than Cameron, Brown is the lesser of two evils.
Rubgish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by aeonflux)
Labour have been in power too long, and I'm not a tory supporter, but any party thats been in power for 12 years gets begins to loose sight of its aims IMO.
Every party always just aims to do what it thinks will get most votes, without annoying the core support of the party too much.
ChrisBan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by aeonflux)
This!
alecangeltess
Rep:
?
Also, Brown is competent of running the country, has lifted us from recession, kept unemployment down, while continuing good morals and the emphasis of the public sector.
AnythingButChardonnay
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
2,000 more criminal offences have been created since Labour came to power, while the victims of real crimes seldom see justice done.

That is one of Labour's biggest failings. I mean, other than buggering-up the economy, inflicting the Lisbon Treaty, debasing our Constitution, failing to properly equip our fantastic troops, bloating the civil service, failing to control our borders...
paddyman4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Really? I think more people are worried by a Conservative win and what that would mean for the country.
I posted this on another thread:

I will not be voting Labour because:

1. Excessive borrowing.

2. Ridiculous taxation.

3. Biggest assault on civil liberties in recent memory.

4. Got approval for war based on heart attack inducing 'intelligence' that has been described by those who used it to gain support for their war as 'a bit of colour'.

5. Spent over a decade screwing over the middle classes and only when they are in election trouble do they declare themselves as a party for the middle classes. Bull, they will never deliver on that.

6. Ridiculous claims from Brown of how much they intend to reduce our debt in a few years, without naming anything they are willing to cut. If his claims are possible, then he has been running everything public incredibly innefficiently for years. If they're not, then he is just lying to try and gain support.

7. Caved to the mob bloodlust for 'bankers' and is now doing everything he can to hurt the one industry that we have. If he keeps waging war on bonuses (which are usually not really bonuses in the financial sector, they are pretty guaranteed and seen as part of the salary) and pushing up income tax, companies will relocate. Financial services can move easier than most industries.

8. Labour takes so much money from people and then wastes it away. They have been throwing money at education for over a decade, desperate to look proactive, and have just made it worse and worse and made it harder and harder for teachers to do their jobs.

9. Brown is basically an idiot. He knew the economic crisis was coming, or at least the Bank of England knew and he should have listened. Then he sold our gold just before it hit. Yes, he's the genius economist we've all heard about who forgot that gold prices go UP in troubled times.

10. Harriet Harman is a massive sexist and loves a bit of positive discrimination.

Add to that the fact that it was the most corrupt party in the expenses scandal.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
personally I think that because polls are not done on a constituency by constituency basis, we have a fftp system, and the polls often target a small minority of people, (in a certain area perhaps or those who are interested enough to go and seek one out and fill it in) they are not really an accurate way of predicting how the next parliament will look. a 22 seat majority is very very shaky for any party, and the fact that the number of marginal seats exceeds this means that the election is going to be pretty hard to predict either way. We have to wait for the exit polls now :p:
EffieFlowers
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rubgish)
I can't stress enough how bad a Conserative term will be for this country. Both main parties are pretty crap, but I know i'd rather have Brown than Cameron, Brown is the lesser of two evils.
Well said.
paddyman4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also, Brown is competent of running the country, has lifted us from recession, kept unemployment down, while continuing good morals and the emphasis of the public sector.
Brown had nothing to do with getting us out of the recession. The Bank of England decides monetary policy on its own, because the people there actually understand economics. The one good call that Brown made was the scrappage scheme to try and save car companies.
alecangeltess
Rep:
?
Sadie, they are nationwide phone polls I think.
Paddyman, Brown had no clue about the recession and he couldn't have stopped it. No government could have. Luckily, he acted fast and pragmatically, a lot more so than cutter Cameron (yet he can't even promise that now) would do.
Whoever neg-repped me, yay!
AnythingButChardonnay
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
We're the LAST major economy out of recession, and we're out of it by a pathetic 0.1%. In Brown's imaginary world he thought (and still thinks) we're the "best placed country to weather the recession".

How the hell can anyone be less deserving of praise than him?

If we don't get a new government soon who's prepared to make difficult choices (ie, cuts), then we're all up **** creek.
ak56
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This country is pathetic. Labour has raped this country in the arse so much, the Iraq War, the expenses scandle, our very delayed recovery from the recession (most countries had already been out of it for months before the government declared this minute growth of like 0.1%).

If Labour get back in again then all I can say is it is clear to me that British people love getting shafted. However, if this is what British people want, then they deserve all the shafting they get.
ak56
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
We're the LAST major economy out of recession, and we're out of it by a pathetic 0.1%. In Brown's imaginary world he thought (and still thinks) we're the "best placed country to weather the recession".
The way people praise Brown it really makes me question the intelligence of your typical British person.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (70)
75.27%
No (23)
24.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed