Turn on thread page Beta

Labour battles back - possibility of a hung parliament or Labour majority heightens! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alecangeltess)
    Sadie, they are nationwide phone polls I think.
    Paddyman, Brown had no clue about the recession and he couldn't have stopped it. No government could have. Luckily, he acted fast and pragmatically, a lot more so than cutter Cameron (yet he can't even promise that now) would do.
    Whoever neg-repped me, yay!
    My economics teacher knew it was coming, so Gordon would have known

ReputationRep:
    Paddyman, Brown had no clue about the recession and he couldn't have stopped it. No government could have. Luckily, he acted fast and pragmatically, a lot more so than cutter Cameron (yet he can't even promise that now) would do.
    Well for someone who had such little control over the recession, he behaves as if he's the ******* operator. Spouting ***** like "Britain is the best placed country to weather the recession", how the **** did this goon work that one out?

ReputationRep:
    This has been one of the shortest recessions ever, we are now out of it. Do you know what the state of the country was like when the conservatives had to handle a recession?
    Brown has done an amazing job to get the coutnry back on it's feet, he has won an award in America for world statesman of the year, Europe and America have followed labours ideas and policies to get out the recession and they have worked, while they all disagreed with the conservatives ideas. It's funny how, in the Uk a lot of people (where there are newspapers like The Sun who have chosen to back up the conservatives) dislike Gordon Brown, but in the rest of the world he is extremely liked. I would have thought that people wouldn't take in the words of scummy newspapers who write nonsense. But obviously, they do. -.- Think for yourselves, people! Sir Allen Sugar once said that Cameron should be happy, as the media are working for him. Pppff, he couldn't be more right! And i'd also like to add that, while there are many saying reasons as to why Labour shouldn't win the election, imyet to see any reasonable arguments as to why the Torys should. Who knows what thier policies are? They either speak totaly jibberish, and avoid showing their real policies or come up with ridiculous little ideas that obviously won't happen, that aim to get readers of The Sun on their side, they say nothing that will actually benefit the country. :| People forget that change is not always good.

ReputationRep:
    We're not the last one because of primeministerial failure though, its due to what was, initially, more or less denial by the banks and the BoE, and the fact our infrastructure was least prepared. Yes, Brown did make mistakes in his 2005 spending splurges, but not many believed there would be a major recession. And now he has a sure way out: a balance of key spending and necessary cuts, rather than blind cuts to the very services that are key to the United Kingdom. And, as I said, Cameron can't even stick to that. His lack of policy is also, put frankly, scary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    This has been one of the shortest recessions ever, we are now out of it.
    Wow:

The economy had previously contracted for six consecutive quarters - the longest period since quarterly figures were first recorded in 1955.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8479639.stm

That doesn't take into account the real risk of a double dip recession now that the scrap scheme has ended and VAT has risen. That's not to say the Conservative approach of letting the markets correct themselves would have been the right approach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Brown had nothing to do with getting us out of the recession. The Bank of England decides monetary policy on its own, because the people there actually understand economics. The one good call that Brown made was the scrappage scheme to try and save car companies.
    What are you on about? :rolleyes:
    Labour had everything to do with getting us out of the recession, all the other countries followed Browns policies and he even won an award... Stop reading The Sun, please, and stop watching GMTV.

ReputationRep:
    This has been one of the shortest recessions ever, we are now out of it. Do you know what the state of the country was like when the conservatives had to handle a recession?
    Brown has done an amazing job to get the coutnry back on it's feet, he has won an award in America for world statesman of the year, Europe and America have followed labours ideas and policies to get out the recession and they have worked, while they all disagreed with the conservatives ideas.
    As so many of you lefties say, the length of the recession ultimately has nothing to do with him, so I certainly don't think he's worthy of praise simply because the recession has been less severe than previous ones.

Even though this recession has been shorter than previous ones, Brown has managed to prolonge it the longest of any country in Europe, most of Europe was out of it months before the government declared pathetic growth of 0.1%, which quite frankly is **** all. Remove Labours spendings from fiddiling expenses and you're probably back into negative growth.

Also, America giving him some award means **** all because Americans have absolutely no clue about politics and issues "accros the pond", Americans just assume that by default Britain must be better at everything, and they don't particularly like French or Germans. The Yanks have just brought his ******** like you have, it is meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    I posted this on another thread:

I will not be voting Labour because:

1. Excessive borrowing.

2. Ridiculous taxation.

3. Biggest assault on civil liberties in recent memory.

4. Got approval for war based on heart attack inducing 'intelligence' that has been described by those who used it to gain support for their war as 'a bit of colour'.

5. Spent over a decade screwing over the middle classes and only when they are in election trouble do they declare themselves as a party for the middle classes. Bull, they will never deliver on that.

6. Ridiculous claims from Brown of how much they intend to reduce our debt in a few years, without naming anything they are willing to cut. If his claims are possible, then he has been running everything public incredibly innefficiently for years. If they're not, then he is just lying to try and gain support.

7. Caved to the mob bloodlust for 'bankers' and is now doing everything he can to hurt the one industry that we have. If he keeps waging war on bonuses (which are usually not really bonuses in the financial sector, they are pretty guaranteed and seen as part of the salary) and pushing up income tax, companies will relocate. Financial services can move easier than most industries.

8. Labour takes so much money from people and then wastes it away. They have been throwing money at education for over a decade, desperate to look proactive, and have just made it worse and worse and made it harder and harder for teachers to do their jobs.

9. Brown is basically an idiot. He knew the economic crisis was coming, or at least the Bank of England knew and he should have listened. Then he sold our gold just before it hit. Yes, he's the genius economist we've all heard about who forgot that gold prices go UP in troubled times.

10. Harriet Harman is a massive sexist and loves a bit of positive discrimination.

Add to that the fact that it was the most corrupt party in the expenses scandal.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    He did. The Bank of England predicted it, and I imagine most other national banks did. He couldn't have stopped it, but he certainly shouldn't have sold our gold. He was advised by the Bank of England not to. He ignored them, sold the gold, lost £2bn in the process, and then spent 18 months trying to block any newspaper from publishing the fact.

That's £2bn and a cheeky bit of censorship on top. How can he just brush that off without even an apology? That's our money that he takes from us when we get paid, when we earn interest, when we sell shares, when we buy food, when we inherit, when we buy a house, when we do anything. And this man is apparently an economic genius?

No can you tell me how he acted fast and pragmatically? What exactly did he do? Because those words sound suspiciously like something out of a Labour speech of bull.

In case you were wondering though, it wasn't me who negged you. I don't neg people for a having a different opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Wow:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8479639.stm
    Eeeer. What was the point in that link? My point was that this recession has been one of the shortest. The one in 80s, when the conservatives where in charge lasted for years. The media has chosen to back the Conservatives (because the people who run the bbc are obviously bloody posh). Remember when Allen Sugar said about the media 'working for the conservatives'? Well, you obviously shouldn't take everything they say serious, should you? Use your own mind, come up with your own opinions. You don't have to copy what the BBC says you know.

ReputationRep:
    Eeeer. What was the point in that link? My point was that this recession has been one of the shortest. The one in 80s, when the conservatives where in charge lasted for years. The media has chosen to back the Conservatives (because the people who run the bbc are obviously bloody posh). Remember when Allen Sugar said about the media 'working for the conservatives'? Well, you obviously shouldn't take everything they say serious, should you? Use your own mind, come up with your own opinions. You don't have to copy what the BBC says you know.
    Did you even read the quote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    As so many of you lefties say, the length of the recession ultimately has nothing to do with him, so I certainly don't think he's worthy of praise simply because the recession has been less severe than previous ones.

Even though this recession has been shorter than previous ones, Brown has managed to prolonge it the longest of any country in Europe, most of Europe was out of it months before the government declared pathetic growth of 0.1%, which quite frankly is **** all. Remove Labours spendings from fiddiling expenses and you're probably back into negative growth.

Also, America giving him some award means **** all because Americans have absolutely no clue about politics and issues "accros the pond", Americans just assume that by default Britain must be better at everything, and they don't particularly like French or Germans. The Yanks have just brought his ******** like you have, it is meaningless.
    All that nonsense you said about the Americans etc isn't even worth replying to. :/ The only way that you would ever change your mind is if the Sun suddenly where pro labour. It's really worrying, :/ I'm shocked at how much people actualy do take in the rubbish written by the scummiest of newspapers.

ReputationRep:
    If Labour wins then this country is gone. Seriously, I shudder to think how bad it will get. Anyone who votes Brown is so so so stupid. I can't put into words how stupid they will be.

ReputationRep:
    A large increase is a month is certainly remarkable, and characterises the process of excelling.

No, I meant the bit about it being 'excellent'. It isn't.

ReputationRep:
    What are you on about? :rolleyes:
    Labour had everything to do with getting us out of the recession, all the other countries followed Browns policies and he even won an award... Stop reading The Sun, please, and stop watching GMTV.
    No, every country followed the Bank of England's monetary policies. Brown was the messenger.

Can you name me a policy which Brown came up with that every other country followed? If not, please stop regurgitating Labour speeches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    We're the LAST major economy out of recession, and we're out of it by a pathetic 0.1%. In Brown's imaginary world he thought (and still thinks) we're the "best placed country to weather the recession".

How the hell can anyone be less deserving of praise than him?

If we don't get a new government soon who's prepared to make difficult choices (ie, cuts), then we're all up **** creek.
    Labours economic stimulus was replicated by most of developed europe, and the united states.

GDP wise, we're in less debt then most other countries, 50% GDP compared to 75% US and i can't remember the figures for the rest of europe.

ReputationRep:
    There is a list of reasons why NOT to vote for the Conservatives but it's so big it won't fit! So I'll have to post a link - sorry to nonFacebook users.

http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?...id=40556497527

Click on read more.

ReputationRep:
    All that nonsense you said about the Americans etc isn't even worth replying to. :/ The only way that you would ever change your mind is if the Sun suddenly where pro labour. It's really worrying, :/ I'm shocked at how much people actualy do take in the rubbish written by the scummiest of newspapers.
    I'm shocked at the amount of rubbish you take in from the scummiest of human beings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    No, I meant the bit about it being 'excellent'. It isn't.
    In that case, congrats for the sig that makes you look pro-Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    I'm shocked at the amount of rubbish you take in from the scummiest of human beings.
    People like this in charge of the country, peppered in swearing and discrimination? No thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.