Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Labour battles back - possibility of a hung parliament or Labour majority heightens! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alecangeltess)
    Added to that, conservatism is also morally wrong.
    We're into the dregs now...

ReputationRep:
    He would control 300 seats, compared to 278 for the Conservatives and 38 for the Lib Dems."
    Thats the key part, 278+38 = 316. Thats not a majority, what would happen is either the Tories and Liberal Democrats would conspire to create a coalition and gain power, or they'd boot out Brown over the first contentious issue, resulting in another election.

ReputationRep:
    It is only opinion polls. I have not been asked my voting intentions, have you? I am willing to bet these polls were carried out in Glasgow, Bethnal Green, Liverpool, Manchester, etc. Strong Labour areas will usually provide some artificial relief to a beleaguered party.

Labour will be decimated come the Summer. The "recovery" will aid their defeat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    And yet you trust the brainless, simple-minded, ****-kissing baboons that are in power at the moment?
    I trust them more than Cameron put it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alecangeltess)
    Added to that, conservatism is also morally wrong.
    Quoted for stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Any growth is good growth, what it means is that people start having higher expectations which lead to even more growth, dont look at why were got the growth more about how we can continue it, and in this sense it will have an effect on unemployment and tax revue increases.
    But 0.1% isn't a figure to inspire confidence is it? A predict growth of 1% in the next year isn't that impressive either. The road to recovery will be long and tricky. This little rise won't really change much.
    And what about a double dip? What happens once people stop spending money as it's no longer christmas? What happens now the car scrapage scheme has ended? What happens if the BoE stop pumping money in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    I can't stress enough how bad a Conserative term will be for this country. Both main parties are pretty crap, but I know i'd rather have Brown than Cameron, Brown is the lesser of two evils.
    I'm genuinely stunned that people can look at the state of the economy and the national debt, and still actually believe this. If everyone in the country acted with the reckless financial abandon that the government has displayed over the recent past, Britain would collapse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacky_B)
    I trust them more than Cameron put it that way.
    Then you are one of the many who seem to support labour because they can't be bothered looking at anything else. - Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ever trust Cameron, but the way Labour have lied themselves into power by decieving simple minded idiots, and lied to stay in power is just despicable,

ReputationRep:
    If Labour do catch up there will need to be fundamental upheaval on the front benches. I'm not predicting anything though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    If Labour do catch up there will need to be fundamental upheaval on the front benches. I'm not predicting anything though.
    The thing is theres no talent left in the Labour backbenches anymore, it has been exhausted. This is why we see so many non entities in the cabinet these days and rebellious cabinet members hanging onto their jobs because theres simply no one to replace them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    The thing is theres no talent left in the Labour backbenches anymore, it has been exhausted. This is why we see so many non entities in the cabinet these days and rebellious cabinet members hanging onto their jobs because theres simply no one to replace them.
    If Labour get anything in May though people will come forward, it's just that confidence is low right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Any growth is good growth, what it means is that people start having higher expectations which lead to even more growth, dont look at why were got the growth more about how we can continue it, and in this sense it will have an effect on unemployment and tax revue increases.
    Urrrm, not in the quarter that has Christmas conveniently placed into it. You should be looking at 1.5% - 2.0% growth in Oct/Dec.

In response to your other question. What economic mess? You nutter, we have had the worst period of economic downturn in 20 years. Not good to have on your CV that one Mr Brown. All be it, it isn't his fault, but 0.1% growth and £200bn in borrowed funds. God I feel for those repaying it. Oh yeah, that's us.

(Original post by ajp100688)
    Hear Hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Add to that the fact that it was the most corrupt party in the expenses scandal.

that was the tories - by far

ReputationRep:
    The conservative party have done nothing to indicate their stance on major, politically-defining issues of our time. Whether this is down to the lack of ideas or a complete lack of concensus on the direction the party should move in, I don't know. However, because of this the Conservative party have had to base a whole election campaign on one man and, as such, it is vital that they discredit David Cameron's opposite number (Ie, Gordon Brown) as much as possible. Which you've probably noticed them trying to do with constant soundbites delivered by every shadow cabinet member with impeccable timing (they've had enough practise by now).

I personally don't think any politician would stand up to the kinds of co-ordinated media frenzy that has been targeted on Gordon Brown and I think, in the long-run, he has come out fairly strong (he can now be legitimately called the Iron Chancellor). I make no excuses for some of his actions but to completely disregard the support of the international community for him and to echo the same kind of personal attacks that the tories have tried to is nothing other than denial. The election will be close but if the conservatives do win, it will be a win that owes solely to David Cameron's PR skills and nothing at all to values/policies that the Conservative party may/may not stand for. And I think 12 years out of power has left this sort of victory more than acceptable in the eyes of the party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    that was the tories - by far
    I'll pick up on this expenses scandal stuff.

The only thing that all the MPs did that was technically wrong by the book was the house flipping. It was morally wrong but technically nothing they did was illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    So what are you saying. That they had a brilliant idea but was incapable of putting into practice here; hence why we were the last out of all the countries that replicated Labour's economic stimulus" to come out of recession?

Or perhaps you agree with me that he's spent so much ******* money on this stimulus that the markets have totally lost faith in the British economy.

Either way. Things don't look good for your hero's record.
    1) He's not my hero, and i'm not even a labour member.

2) Considering how reliant our country is in the financial sector, the recession wasn't as bad as it could have been. Indeed, it'd've been worse if we didn't bail out the banks and get in debt! Furthermore, if hundreds of countries replicated this economic stimulus, does it not suggest that labour got something right?

GDP wise, we're in less debt then most other countries, 50% GDP compared to 75% US and i can't remember the figures for the rest of europe.
    http://www.metlin.org/blog/wp-conten...ntage-data.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2fuk3iGxQx...June112009.jpg This I presume is what you mean. Hardly glowing is it?[/QUOTE]
    I concede in this point, i was using bad figures (wikipedia)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Then you are one of the many who seem to support labour because they can't be bothered looking at anything else. - Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ever trust Cameron, but the way Labour have lied themselves into power by decieving simple minded idiots, and lied to stay in power is just despicable,
    Don't get me wrong something has to change, whether that be under a Labour government or not. But I cannot trust the Tories, especially while Cameron is leader. He just comes across as a slimy person with only self-interest in heart.

In an ideal world I would like to see the Liberal Democrats win, however the chances of this are very slim. So I can effectively 'waste' a vote on the Liberals or vote for Labour as they are the most likely to win over the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacky_B)
    Don't get me wrong something has to change, whether that be under a Labour government or not. But I cannot trust the Tories, especially while Cameron is leader. He just comes across as a slimy person with only self-interest in heart.

In an ideal world I would like to see the Liberal Democrats win, however the chances of this are very slim. So I can effectively 'waste' a vote on the Liberals or vote for Labour as they are the most likely to win over the Tories.
    That or you could not vote, and then you don't fell guilty if labour get another term in office and complete their job of ruining our country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    That or you could not vote, and then you don't fell guilty if labour get another term in office and complete their job of ruining our country
    Or I could not vote and feel guilty if the Tories win.

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.