The Student Room Group
Leave it alone, don't touch it unless you need to, and even then make sure your hands are spotlessly clean. One of mine flared up for a couple of months, but if you just leave it alone, it'll calm down. Take some Ibuprofen for the pain if you can.
Reply 2
Stop playing with it. Try not to sleep on it.

I found the best thing (tragus piercing though) was lying in the bath really soaking it and then move with it.

Give it time.
blondyx
Hi,

i got my helix pierced last week and everything was fine, but last night i was playing with it a bit, and since then its been painful, red and swollen. I have used the anti-bacterial lotion to clean it so hopefully it will start getting better. Does anyone have any advice on what i should do? i really don't want to take it out!

Thanks

Whatever you do, don't take it out.

Just leave it. Don't touch it, I wouldn't bother doing too much in the way of cleaning, let it sort itself out. It'll calm down and be fine.

Don't take it out. I have 2 and they get a bit iffy but fix on their own accord, if you take it out the pain will be unbearable to put it back in.
Google "sea salt soak" and do that and nothing else. No antibacterial lotion or touching it or twisting it or anything.
Reply 5
Don't take it out, don't prod it, twist it, touch it. Just do a salt soak (see http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Sea_salt_solution for directions), it shouldn't need anything more than that.
LondonMinx
Stop playing with it. Try not to sleep on it.

I found the best thing (tragus piercing though) was lying in the bath really soaking it and then move with it.

Give it time.

You're not supposed to have baths or even submerge piercings when they're still healing...

OP swelling is common between two and five days after the piercing so leave it unless it gets really bad. For now mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water then with a cotton bud clean the area around the piercing with the salt water and after than just pour it over your ear.
Reply 7
It takes 10 weeks to heal, I was told. So no bathing for 10 weeks????

Well I found bathing it in the bath worked best for mine.
Reply 8
I got my helix pierced just over a week ago, it was giving me bother so I went to the piercer and he said it was fine, it started getting ichy and wasn't sore then I hit it on Wednesday and the next day it swelled up and abit of green pus started to come out, I cleaned and left now today there's no pus but it's still swollen, should I take it out??? Is mine really bad? In quite worried!!
Original post by Yma1
I got my helix pierced just over a week ago, it was giving me bother so I went to the piercer and he said it was fine, it started getting ichy and wasn't sore then I hit it on Wednesday and the next day it swelled up and abit of green pus started to come out, I cleaned and left now today there's no pus but it's still swollen, should I take it out??? Is mine really bad? In quite worried!!

Just keep sea salt soaking it. Swelling is normal at this stage. It is probably lymph, not pus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have had my forward helix done for about 7 months now along with many other cartilage piercings, for the first week it's really hurt and I couldn't sleep on it and it was really swollen but that's pretty standard for the first week on cartilage piercing. It was heeling well no problems but every now and then it swells up and hurts with no redness or blood or infection i clean all my piercing with sea salt and tea tree oil every day but I think it mainly swells because of where it is, easily cought on hair or slept on touched when doing make up or hair ect I have been dealing with this on and off swelling for a while, I wouldn't worry about it unless it is red with discharge which means it's infected
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Whatever you do, don't take it out.

Just leave it. Don't touch it, I wouldn't bother doing too much in the way of cleaning, let it sort itself out. It'll calm down and be fine.

Don't take it out. I have 2 and they get a bit iffy but fix on their own accord, if you take it out the pain will be unbearable to put it back in.

I wish I read this earlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
It's been about two weeks since my cartilage piercing on my both ears and just yesterday out of the blue my left ear started throbbing and swelling up and they were doing just fine, I don't remember touching them or anything. At night I cleaned them up and went to bed thinking it would be ok in the morning but when I woke up it was even worse my whole ear was big and red and it was hurting I was forced to take the earring out which hurt a lot. What should I do?
This just happened to me this morning, except i got my piercing 1 week ago. It was okay until last night when it started to hurt a lot and in the morning i woke up and my ear was huge and red... still is. Well i took it out, cleaned everything and then after i applied antibiotoc cream i put the piercing back (painful). It didn't hurt until a few hours later, which is now :frown: is your piercing doing well now? If so, what did you do to fix it?
i am having the same problem 😬
Original post by paigeproud_
i am having the same problem 😬

Hi Paige! This is a super old thread so you're unlikely to get any responses here. I'm just going to close this one up as I see you've already started your own. I'll take a look at yours in a second!

Latest

Trending

Trending