Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do Dutch people dress better than British people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was reading on another forum a rather petty arguement between British and Dutch argueing over which country was better, etc, and the Dutch kept bringing up the idea that style in the Netherlands is better than that in the UK.

That suprises me, because of all the countries I'd stereotypically describe as fashionable, the Netherlands isn't one. I've been there a couple of times and I don't remember the way people dressed being particularly memorable at all, it was all very plain.

But yes, in my experience British people are certainly more fashion concious than Dutch people, as far as I can see the Dutch don't seem to particularly care about their dress that much and simply wear what they feel is comfortable rather than what they feel they have to wear.

Which I guess as a result makes for possibly a more individualistic society, but I don't think it makes for a better dressed society.

ReputationRep:
    Do Nikey make Clogs now?

ReputationRep:
    British do have the reputation of having a terrible sense of fashion even if it's not always true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    British do have the reputation of having a terrible sense of fashion even if it's not always true.
    To be honest I think that's a rather out-dated outlook. Your typical Frenchman doesn't have amazing dress sense either.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Having lived almost my whole in Holland I can say that I do agree that the Dutch have better style. We always had a sense of 'swagga' before the British even knew what it meant.

ReputationRep:
    when u look at G-star u cover ur face with ur palm and go OMG :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    To be honest I think that's a rather out-dated outlook. Your typical Frenchman doesn't have amazing dress sense either.
    I suggest you discuss with foreigners about their first experience of English fashion. I think the best bit comes to when they talk about nightclubs, it's fascinating, you'll see.

And French have a more classical dress sense, meaning you won't see as much horrible patterns there as you would in the UK as they tend to focus on looking exactly the same, wearing jeans and a blouse for girls, or a polo shirt for guys. It definitely is boring and not creative at all, but it doesn't make anyone cringe apart from the fact everyone wears the same thing.

That said, I do enjoy walking down the street in Manchester after a night out and watching totally overdressed (or half-naked) girls wearing too much make up and heels too high for their balance to be stable. Snog, Marry, Avoid is an amazing show as well, even if not depicting real English fashion, it shows how ludicrous it can get. So, yeah, I'd rather be really boring than over the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireythepinkfairy)
    Because every British person dresses like that... Dear god, this site is pathetic, if you suggest Britain is better at anything, people will start using stereotypes to try and beat Britain back down into inferiority.

Seriously, I'm afraid the chav stereotype exists in the Netherlands too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangstermidget)
    when u look at G-star u cover ur face with ur palm and go OMG :facepalm:
    Theres nothing wrong with Gstar...

ReputationRep:
    Possibly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    Babel is a hardcore rapper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirona)
    Theres nothing wrong with Gstar...
    no darling, its just plain boring thats all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    Possibly.

You probably picked the most ugly dutch celebrity -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    It's not true, so that assumption is stupid. As are those who do it.

(Original post by claireythepinkfairy)
    Chavs are scum.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.hackett.com/

No-one dresses better than British people. On the other hand, alot of the people who live in Britain don't dress particularly well at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    http://www.hackett.com/

No-one dresses better than British people. On the other hand, alot of the people who live in Britain don't dress particularly well at all.
    I didnt get that..explain?!

ReputationRep:
    the ones i met didnt dress too differently

ReputationRep:
    If your a chav. Anyone can dress better. But its just how people are and what style/fashion trends/social life affects the way you dress.

I personally prefer a mix of modern 80's with some aspects of punk rock. But i make myself look up to date and not like i fell from a time machine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.