Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've had a minor form of acne on my nose and around my mouth for a couple of years now. I've recently found an over the counter acne cream (recommended by my Doctor) that actually works. So now the spots are gone, well most of them.

The problem now is that the area I've had them is very red and looks inflamed, its not swollen or anything but looks like it is.
    Are there any products out there which I could use to reduce the redness? Its really getting me down and wearing concealer everyday just makes my skin worse and then I'm back to the beginning.

Any advice would be really good thank you

ReputationRep:
    Nobody got any advice for me? I was thinking Tea Tree but I don't know if that wouldn't just bring back the acne....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyhol1012)
    Nobody got any advice for me? I was thinking Tea Tree but I don't know if that wouldn't just bring back the acne....
    Is the skin particularly dry in those areas too? Could be Rosacea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosacea

I have it around my nose, cheeks and on my chin and forehead in patches. Looks like scaring but it's not.

It's worth getting it checked out at the doctors. There's various different treatments.

Also, a light moisturiser, and perhaps mineral cosmetics, would be easier on your skin.

ReputationRep:
    Is the redness pigment change in the skin? If it is the aftermath of acne that has healed then it is post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It will fade on it's own, but it can take quite a long time. To speed things up you can use products called AHA's ( alpha hydroxy acids ) such as mandelic acid and glycolic acid.

Other things that I know of that people have had success with are

Diluted apple cider vinegar as a toner.

Zinc Oxide

Vitamin C serum ( effective but expensive it needs to be at least 10% vitamin C but you can get up to 20% )

Topical niacin ( niacinamide )

ReputationRep:
    If it's just that the spot cream has been a bit tough on your skin, all you need is something gentle for a little while (i.e. NOT tea-tree, it dries skin out). I'd recommend using a Pond's cleanser (they do lots, I like the Cold Cream cleanser but it's very oily so takes some time to remove) and removing it with warm water and a muslin cloth; it's somehow incredibly powerful at cleaning your skin but so gentle that it's like a moisturiser in itself. I've found a little dab of Aqueous Cream to be the best follow-up moisturiser, since it's very hydrating but never gives me spots/oily skin. The pair should cost you £5 or thereabouts from Boots, and if you get some muslin squares from the baby section of Tesco add on an extra £3 for six cloths.

In terms of make-up, the best thing I could recommend is Elemental Beauty mineral make-up, it's one of the cheapest real mineral brands about and they even do a Healing line of foundations and concealers which are specially designed for people with acne/rosacea/sensitive skin. No idea if it makes your skin any better, but it's certainly never done mine any harm and the coverage/longevity is great. Google for the website if you're interested .

Oh and, could I just ask which cream you used? I don't get many spots at all since I switched to the Pond's/muslin cloths thing, but it'd be nice to have an alternative to my super-gloopy Lush Grease Lightening when I do (it looks like phlegm)!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    As you've already pointed out the concealer will make it worse :p: I used to wear it every day...but after running out and not wearing it for a few weeks I've found my skin's a lot clearer...it was more red to begin with...and eventually it's all cleared up
    A good moisturiser also works well, try to get one for oily skin, and a day moisturiser that reduces shine if that's a problem for you, again it may take some getting used to, but eventually it should reduce dryness and therefore redness

ReputationRep:
    I use this:

http://www.garden.co.uk/php/showProd...hp?plu=0604390

Applying after some Olay moisturiser.

Works reasonably well.

ReputationRep:
    I have rosacea and have a green cream I got from the chemist. It's by Fade out and says it's a soothing facial redness remedy. Now, it doesn't work miracles but it is soothing.

As for concealer making it worse, maybe try some mineral make up. I switched to minerals when my acne was really bad and it worked wonders.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the help everyone I really appreciate it.
    I'm going to stop using concealer as it is doing me no favours and will invest in a good moisturiser but one that won't make my skin oily.

That anti-redness cream looks really good too so I think I'll get some of that too I'm not too bothered about the price as long as it does a good job.

Thank you again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAnnThropic)
    Do you mean which acne cream?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyhol1012)
    Do you mean which acne cream?
    Yes please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good1m8)
    To speed things up you can use products called AHA's ( alpha hydroxy acids ) such as mandelic acid and glycolic acid.
    you could try this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAnnThropic)
    Yes please
    PanOxyl its not very strong but its good if you're in the recovery stages. ie. Your acne isn't too severe. I'm using 5% at the moment as 10% strips my face of skin

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.