The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As far as I know, anyone can be an organ donor, providing that the organs in question are healthy. Sexuality doesn't come into it.

As for the ban on gay and bisexual men giving blood, well that's just ridiculous and should be scrapped.
I don't see why not. :dontknow:
Reply 3
Gays are allowed to donate organs not blood though for some reason.
Reply 4
aaran-j
As for the ban on gay and bisexual men giving blood, well that's just ridiculous and should be scrapped.

Here's a link you might be interested in: http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/exclusion/

As you can see, the reasons are hardly ridiculous.
Reply 5
Gays aren't allowed to donate blood but can donate organs. Restrictions on blood are because of the high risk of HIV positive in gay men (only ?) who have had sexual intercourse even once. Seems to be in order to reduce a waste of blood (infected blood would have been more useful to the donor).
Phalanges
Here's a link you might be interested in: http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/exclusion/

As you can see, the reasons are hardly ridiculous.

What about men who have anal sex with women? I don't get it.
Reply 7
aaran-j
As far as I know, anyone can be an organ donor, providing that the organs in question are healthy. Sexuality doesn't come into it.

it's strange in a way 'cause I'm sure some blood comes along too when you get a new organ? :confused:
Reply 8
theBOON
Gays aren't allowed to donate blood but can donate organs. Restrictions on blood are because of the high risk of HIV positive in gay men (only ?) who have had sexual intercourse even once. Seems to be in order to reduce a waste of blood (infected blood would have been more useful to the donor).

that's what I'm trying to say, organs have blood passing through them too so if they can't allowed to donate blood then why organs it's stupid it should be all or nothing :yep:
Reply 9
it depends.. not if they're using it as an euphemism... :wink:
Reply 10
whitepearlbaby

EXACTLY! straight people have anal and give head too :rolleyes:
Reply 11
oh nice! i didn't know i wasn't allowed to give blood, at least i have a proper excuse now :biggrin: the idea of a needle sucking blood out of me always did make me feel sick...

andy12691
Please tell me that you're not serious, or I would call u an idiot.

:lol: nonono - are YOU serious?!
"Men who have sex with other men" aren't allowed to donate blood because there's a higher risk of them having HIV/AIDS, (and possibly other STIs?). I'm not really too fussed if they're not letting us donate. To be honest, I feel somewhat relieved, as every time I see one of those blood donation adverts where they're like "This child will die if you do not donate blood", I will be unfazed and guilt-free.

I couldn't find any exclusions to organ donation, but they will probably have some.

Pop_tart
it's strange in a way 'cause I'm sure some blood comes along too when you get a new organ? :confused:

Logically that makes sense, but apparently it's wrong. :confused:
Reply 13
aaran-j

It's because they have a higher chance of carrying HIV in their blood, so it's pretty safe really.
whitepearlbaby

Gay men can role reverse. A gay man can be easily infected through unprotected receptive anal sex, and then infect someone else through when they are the insertive partner. So as a population they're more susceptible to the spread of the virus than straight couples even if they have the same number of unprotected sexual partners.
Reply 15
Don John
It's because they have a higher chance of carrying HIV in their blood, so it's pretty safe really.

surely it'll be the case for organs from them then?!!! that's what i don't get, its so hypocritical, not allowed to donate blood but organs, yes?.... surely organs would be contaminated toooo
Reply 16
fr3shmang0
Gay men can role reverse. A gay man can be easily infected through unprotected receptive anal sex, and then infect someone else through when they are the insertive partner. So as a population they're more susceptible to the spread of the virus than straight couples even if they have the same number of unprotected sexual partners.

Surely women should be banned too then cos they receive :rolleyes:
whitepearlbaby

Gay men make up over 50% of the HIV positive population whilst only representing a minority of the actual population. So it's quite serious.
Reply 18
Anonymous
that's what I'm trying to say, organs have blood passing through them too so if they can't allowed to donate blood then why organs it's stupid it should be all or nothing :yep:

I think I know the reason. See every blood donation is tested and if it results positive to any blood inhabiting virus it will have to be thrown away result in a waste. On the other hand organ donations are less frequent and they will not turn down the chance of any one willing to participate. Before an organ donation takes place, blood tests are carried out to verify and the procedure will only continue if they occur to be negative.
whitepearlbaby

It's simple epidemiology. The last point is particularly relevant:

Research shows that completely removing the current exclusion on blood donation from men who have sex with men would result in a fivefold increase in the risk of HIV-infected blood entering the blood supply. While changing deferral to one year from the last sexual contact would have a lesser effect, it would still increase this risk by 60%

Beyond the fact that such as increase would be very bad for general health, if the risk of being infected with HIV suddenly shot up by 500% the NHS would be ripped to shreds by the media.

Latest

Trending

Trending