Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

gay organ donor allowed? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr3shmang0)
    Gay men can role reverse. A gay man can be easily infected through unprotected receptive anal sex, and then infect someone else through when they are the insertive partner. So as a population they're more susceptible to the spread of the virus than straight couples even if they have the same number of unprotected sexual partners.
    Ah! That makes sense, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    surely it'll be the case for organs from them then?!!! that's what i don't get, its so hypocritical, not allowed to donate blood but organs, yes?.... surely organs would be contaminated toooo
    It's not hypocritical at all. A lot more blood is needed than organs, so with an organ a lot more tests can afford to be done per organ, whereas to do the same level of testing for every donation of blood would be extremely cost-prohibitive.

ReputationRep:
    Surely women should be banned too then cos they receive :rolleyes:
    The HIV rates aren't as high. It wouldn't make sense banning them. Over half of new HIV infections are gay men. That's disproportionately high even though large population surveys show that homosexual men have the same number of unprotected sexual partners as heterosexual men and women.

Don't get me wrong, ideally I would like for gay men to be able to donate blood. The more the merrier. But statistically it is too risky. This isn't a matter of equality or morality... Just cold uncaring statistics and disease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewk)
    :lol: nonono - are YOU serious?!
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Its basic biology m8..
    I didn't know there was such thing as "gay gene" , I should have read more Biology then :lol:

I haven't donated blood but I assume that they would test everyone who wants to do it, right? So why can't a gay man give his blood if he is totally healthy ?

ReputationRep:
    Pointls ban really. If a homosexual really wants to donate blood or an organ, surely they can just lie.

If not, just test the blood and organs donated by gays. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Exactly.

If I was strongly compelled to give blood, say my brother needed it and I was a match...of course I'd ******* lie. I know fine well I'm not infected*, so as far as I'm concerned my sexuality is none of their business and between admitting I'm gay and them not taking my blood 'just in case' and saving someones life...I think most of us know which one to go for.

*obviously you'd make sure.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Here's a link you might be interested in: http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/exclusion/

As you can see, the reasons are hardly ridiculous.
    I have read it but I'm still not convinced with their reasoning.

I can't donate blood myself (I'm diabetic) so I do get annoyed when the NBS turn away potentially healthy donor's (especially those with rare blood types), based on the fact that they have had gay sex.

ReputationRep:
    One more thing... Technically gay men aren't barred from donating blood. They don't care about your sexuality.

Men who have had sex with men are barred from donating blood.

Also research suggests that lifting this ban (for 12 months since last male with male sex) would cause a 60% increased risk in HIV infected blood from entering the supply. However many assumptions were made and the accuracy is uncertain and the range of probability is wide.

Sauce

ReputationRep:
    Why are they not allowed to give blood? Thats ridiculous, internally they are no different to to straight people. And I presume they are allowed to donor an organ. Who would refuse one because it came from a gay person
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by UndercoverChemist)
    Why are they not allowed to give blood? Thats ridiculous, internally they are no different to to straight people. And I presume they are allowed to donor an organ. Who would refuse one because it came from a gay person
    Have you read any of the rest of the thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Have you read any of the rest of the thread?
    Ignorance on a TSR thread is second only to the need to express that ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    I didn't know there was such thing as "gay gene" , I should have read more Biology then :lol:

I haven't donated blood but I assume that they would test everyone who wants to do it, right? So why can't a gay man give his blood if he is totally healthy ?
    its more cost effective to have a blanket ban on all the people more likely to be a risk than test everyone

ReputationRep:
    surely it'll be the case for organs from them then?!!! that's what i don't get, its so hypocritical, not allowed to donate blood but organs, yes?.... surely organs would be contaminated toooo
    We don't know that, we're not doctors are we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    its more cost effective to have a blanket ban on all the people more likely to be a risk than test everyone
    So a guy carrying HIV can donate blood without being tested? Sorry if it seems a silly question, I just have no ideas about how the process works.

ReputationRep:
    So a guy carrying HIV can donate blood without being tested? Sorry if it seems a silly question, I just have no ideas about how the process works.
    no, everyone is tested. but a straight male is much less likely to have hiv than a homosexual one. a straight male can donate blood but they will still be tested. its just that as stated above homosexual males make up 50% of the hiv cases in the uk, so it costs much less money to reject them before they can be tested for it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nope, all blood is tested.

ReputationRep:

Because you don't have an immune spike until quite some while after you contract the virus. So there's still a risk, even if you're healthy now, that you have HIV. It's easier to say no men who love men than it is to get into the hows and whys of if you haven't had sex in 10 years and have had an HIV test in the last 6 months or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    No, you see gay people have something wrong with their blood and so when you do blood/organ transplants you end up getting the 'gay gene' - its contagious.
    It's not because they're being discriminated against, it's because they have such a high risk of HIV infection which is an unfortunate by product of their sexual practises.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is ridiculous that they ban any man who has EVER had gay sex. I understand there is a higher risk in the gay population but I don't see why a man who had gay sex in the past is banned from ever giving blood. A HIV test requires a wait of 3 months I think so I can see the sense in saying if you have had gay sex in the last, say, 6 months then you can't give blood. But I think saying NEVER EVER is a bit too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    I think it is ridiculous that they ban any man who has EVER had gay sex. I understand there is a higher risk in the gay population but I don't see why a man who had gay sex in the past is banned from ever giving blood. A HIV test requires a wait of 3 months I think so I can see the sense in saying if you have had gay sex in the last, say, 6 months then you can't give blood. But I think saying NEVER EVER is a bit too much.
    Exactly this. By having an outright ban, you're increasing the incentive for people to lie, which allows those who really do have the HIV virus to get in. They don't have the reasoning on the entry forms, there is no incentive for them not to lie, other than feeling good inside of telling the truth!

There were complaints about having to trust that people are telling the truth about when they last had gay sex - but you had to trust people were telling the truth about not having gay sex in the first place!

The elephant in the room, though, is that the NBS have surplus blood supplies. The reason they wouldn't want to advertise this fact, though, is obvious. But of some blood types that are very valuable (O-negative, for instance), some exceptions ought to be made for gay men, I think.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.