Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8488765.stm

Why not just call in the U.S. debt?

Here I thought Obama wasn't a hypocrite...

Isn't Taiwan part of China, like South Ossetia and Abhazia are parts of Georgia?

ReputationRep:
    *hopes obama nukes the japs*

ReputationRep:
    Taiwan isn't part of China, but China thinks it is, so anything like this China hates. It feels threatened, and it feels like this little country is showing it up.

China wants Taiwan once and for all, they won't stop until it's part of the People's republic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    *hopes obama nukes the japs*
    Already done. But now they have found their balls, so they may need to be nuked again. Good call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Already done. But now they have found their balls, so they may need to be nuked again. Good call.
    Found their balls? When?

ReputationRep:
    Black Hawks are rather nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Spoof)
    Found their balls? When?
    Since their general election late last year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Since their general election late last year?
    I think the jury is still out on that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    China can't afford to, that's the seriously funny thing about the whole situation. They have to keep giving USA "free" stuff and if they try to stop doing it, their whole house of cards will collapse. It continues to astonish me that China is taking so long to get an internal market working, then it can actually have a degree of independence from the US. An internal market will give China more independence then 10,000 nuclear ICBM's ever could.

Starting an economic war now wont go China's way.

China just has to suck this one up. My issue isn't that Taiwan "isn't a part of China" but rather that China should have one government. It's a very broad cultural area. I find it a bit of dangerous thinking and will lead to behaviour not unlike Hitler's anschluss or the acquisition of the sudetenland.

ReputationRep:
    The USA is basically Nazi Germany with a democratic face. As you can tell, they're not my favourite country. They're both as bad as each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    China can't afford to, that's the seriously funny thing about the whole situation. They have to keep giving USA "free" stuff and if they try to stop doing it, their whole house of cards will collapse. It continues to astonish me that China is taking so long to get an internal market working, then it can actually have a degree of independence from the US. An internal market will give China more independence then 10,000 nuclear ICBM's ever could.

Starting an economic war now wont go China's way.

China just has to suck this one up. My issue isn't that Taiwan "isn't a part of China" but rather that China should have one government. It's a very broad cultural area. I find it a bit of dangerous thinking and will lead to behaviour not unlike Hitler's anschluss or the acquisition of the sudetenland.

Really , this is going nowhere. China will grow and then there'll be a deadlock in the balance of power. Short of a full blown war its petty squabbles like this from now on. Thing is i think China will develop well in the end, they're not delusional.

Only problem is if the USA and China are stupid enough to start a war regardless of whether its hot or cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Because US consumerism keeps the Chinese economy going. The US needs China and China needs the US.
    Nothing will come of this petty little squabble. The US can't do anything but keep up its end of the deal in arming Taiwan, and China knows that it can't invade Taiwan and risk an almighty backlash from America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Because US consumerism keeps the Chinese economy going. The US needs China and China needs the US.
    Nothing will come of this petty little squabble. The US can't do anything but keep up its end of the deal in arming Taiwan, and China knows that it can't invade Taiwan and risk an almighty backlash from America.
    Another front will not be as almighty as you may think.

What about Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan? What about the EU support?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Another front will not be as almighty as you may think.

What about Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan? What about the EU support?
    Could you clarify what you mean, I don't really understand.

ReputationRep:
    The US needs China and China needs the US.
    Really? You think so?

If Taiwan finally got the international recognition of independence that they've wanted for so long, why would the US be reliant on China anymore? They'd just use Taiwanese sweatshops instead! Apple already do.

And there are always other countries which we can exploit. Nike use sweatshops in Vietnam, for example.

And the fact that one of major reasons that China's production is so cheap is because of what is effectively an artificially low exchange rate can't exactly help in the long term either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by socksy)
    Really? You think so?

If Taiwan finally got the international recognition of independence that they've wanted for so long, why would the US be reliant on China anymore? They'd just use Taiwanese sweatshops instead! Apple already do.
    You do realise that Taiwan is a much more developed nation than China don't you... Its GDP per capita is about 6 ties higher than China's, and if it was ranked on the HDI it would be alongside the likes of Greece and Hong Kong.
    Because Taiwan is becoming an increasingly developed nation, TNCs are actually moving production to China from Taiwan because wages there are much lower. The country is already beginning to moving away from the sweatshop industries that made it one of the Asian Tigers and towards a services based high tech economy.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that Taiwan is a much more developed nation than China don't you... Its GDP per capita is about 6 ties higher than China's, and if it was ranked on the HDI it would be alongside the likes of Greece and Hong Kong.
    Because Taiwan is becoming an increasingly developed nation, TNCs are actually moving production to China from Taiwan because wages there are much lower. The country is already beginning to moving away from the sweatshop industries that made it one of the Asian Tigers and towards a services based high tech economy.
    Yes, you're right. But I still stand by my point that if China stopped all trade with the US, then it wouldn't have any long last effects on the US economy, as production can be moved over to other countries.

If the alternative is production in America and Britain, Taiwan still seems like a cheaper option - and potentially better quality than China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by socksy)
    Yes, you're right. But I still stand by my point that if China stopped all trade with the US, then it wouldn't have any long last effects on the US economy, as production can be moved over to other countries.

If the alternative is production in America and Britain, Taiwan still seems like a cheaper option - and potentially better quality than China.
    The governments of the US and China do not decide where manufacturing takes place - TNCs themselves do. And no TNC in their right mind would move production to somewhere more expensive (i.e. Taiwan) than where they currently are (i.e. China) - it goes against the basic principle of what they call the "race to the bottom".
    I don't know why I'm even debating this. Companies leaving China en masse is an absolutely ludicrous thing to debate because it'll never happen.

ReputationRep:
    The governments of the US and China do not decide where manufacturing takes place - TNCs themselves do. And no TNC in their right mind would move production to somewhere more expensive (i.e. Taiwan) than where they currently are (i.e. China) - it goes against the basic principle of what they call the "race to the bottom".
    I don't know why I'm even debating this. Companies leaving China en masse is an absolutely ludicrous thing to debate because it'll never happen.
    Until the yuan rises and then it'll all take place in Zimbabwe.

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    taiwan is surely part of china... from a long time ago till NOW.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.