Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently doing my GCSE's and i would like to become a doctor when I am older.

I would like to know how to become one, so the steps you have to go through, which A Levels you have to do, how many years you have to go at medical school and what you do after that. How hard it is to become a Doctor how much time you have to spend going over notes, revising etc.

I am in year 10 and I have done my P1a,C1a,B1a exams. I got:

Physics: A*
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry:A

please could you provide me with this information
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Walk into a bar
    Tell the ladies you're a heart surgeon with this expression on your face: :smug:
    ??????
    Profit!

:sigh:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._at_University

ReputationRep:
    Link in signature.

ReputationRep:
    dude, google is that wat >>>>> along with your brain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razwan-786)
    Hi, I am currently doing my GCSE's and i would like to become a doctor when I am older.

I would like to know how to become one, so the steps you have to go through, which A Levels you have to do, how many years you have to go at medical school and what you do after that. How hard it is to become a Doctor how much time you have to spend going over notes, revising etc.

I am in year 10 and I have done my P1a,C1a,B1a exams. I got:

Physics: A*
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry:A

please could you provide me with this information
    Thanks
    Sum up...

Do well in GCSE's - get 7 A*s for a top uni.
    Pick Biology and Chemistry at A Level (compulsory)
    Choose a third science (for example Physics or Maths)
    Pick an essay style option to show you are not a one trick pony (Eng Lit, History, Geog)
    Get 4 A's at AS
    Drop one for A2
    Aim for AAA for top uni, though AAB still leaves you plenty of choice.

Whilst doing all this make sure you are doing plenty of voluntary work, and work experience in a hospital/care home etc. This looks good on a personal statement and makes sure in your own mind that medicine is right for you.

Also, keep an active social like - sports/music etc all look good on your personal statement and give you something to talk about.

The whole what to choose for A2 is just my personal opinion about what will look best. Apart from Bio and Chem which you have to pick.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogueTrombonist)
    Sum up...

Pick an essay style option to show you are not a one trick pony (Eng Lit, History, Geog)
    Get 4 A's at AS
    Drop one for A2

Whilst doing all this make sure you are doing plenty of voluntary work, and work experience in a hospital/care home etc. This looks good on a personal statement and makes sure in your own mind that medicine is right for you.

Also, keep an active social like - sports/music etc all look good on your personal statement and give you something to talk about.

The whole what to choose for A2 is just my personal opinion about what will look best. Apart from Bio and Chem which you have to pick.

Hope that helps.
    Just to repeat what you said so people are not confused, with respect to A Level choices, you do not NEED to do a 3rd science, but neither do you need to do a contrasting subject. After Chemistry and Biology, it doesn't really matter what you choose (although Cambridge do require a third science/maths). Medical schools, once you have chemistry and biology, will assess you on a variety of other factors, not what you chose for A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Walk into a bar
    Tell the ladies you're a heart surgeon with this expression on your face: :smug:
    ??????
    Profit!

:sigh:
    You sir, get +rep, even if it's only symbolic!

ReputationRep:
    Start building up your alcohol tolerance now

ReputationRep:
    Sum up...

Get 4 A's at AS
    Drop one for A2

Hope that helps.
    You don't need 7a*s at all to get into a top university...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassan_s)
    WTF is a "top university" anyway? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There is no top university for medicine.

It's been said 12867592 times and counting.

ReputationRep:
    erm..tbh

dunno if you have been told this...but...

to be a doctor, you need to get into med school...and not kill anyone while you're there

ReputationRep:
    Sum up...

Get 4 A's at AS
    Drop one for A2

Hope that helps.
    Actually no it doesnt. Seriously I dont know whether your a medical student or applicant but you are giving some pretty wrong advice. Firstly there is no such thing as a top university for Medicine. Secondly the point about having 7 A*s is also wrong. Different Universities have different entry requirements. Birminghan for example want 8A*s whereas Newcastle want only 6 Bs. You also dont need a third science (apart from maybe a few colleges at cambridge which require you to have have them). Likewise you also dont need to take a essay style option (apart from UCL and peninsula). Also biology and chemistry aint actually compulsary not up to A2 anyway. Thats the mistakes I can think of at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I like the myth of telling people they need at least 7A*s. Inspires people to do well at GCSE if they want to do medicine. The more A*s the better really. Why deny yourself the opportunity to get an advantage. Aiming for at least 7A*s is a good precedent as that'll probably get you past every GCSE requirment from Med schools (except Birmingham perhaps).

And at the current rate where Med applicants are getting better and better academically, the quality of your GCSEs will increase in significance. GCSEs is an easy way to differentiate med applicants (who all virtually have AAA predictions). Incredibly easy way to cut down the number of applicants and choose those they want to interview/give offers.

ReputationRep:
    Develop a Vicodin addiction and get a cane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I like the myth of telling people they need at least 7A*s. Inspires people to do well at GCSE if they want to do medicine. The more A*s the better really. Why deny yourself the opportunity to get an advantage. Aiming for at least 7A*s is a good precedent as that'll probably get you past every GCSE requirment from Med schools (except Birmingham perhaps).

And at the current rate where Med applicants are getting better and better academically, the quality of your GCSEs will increase in significance. GCSEs is an easy way to differentiate med applicants (who all virtually have AAA predictions). Incredibly easy way to cut down the number of applicants and choose those they want to interview/give offers.
    GCSEs are a piece of piss....I think most people who go on to get AAA invariably all have 9As/A*s at GCSE...not very good for diffrentiating candidates. In fact, as I recall, that's one of the reasons universities started looking at BMAT/UKCAT scores...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp2r)
    Actually no it doesnt. Seriously I dont know whether your a medical student or applicant but you are giving some pretty wrong advice. Firstly there is no such thing as a top university for Medicine. Secondly the point about having 7 A*s is also wrong. Different Universities have different entry requirements. Birminghan for example want 8A*s whereas Newcastle want only 6 Bs. You also dont need a third science (apart from maybe a few colleges at cambridge which require you to have have them). Likewise you also dont need to take a essay style option (apart from UCL and peninsula). Also biology and chemistry aint actually compulsary not up to A2 anyway. Thats the mistakes I can think of at the moment.
    If we are nit-picking, UCL don't need an essay style option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)

I sort of agree, but don't think it's right to mislead people by saying you NEED amazing GCSEs. I think that people should try their very hardest in their GCSEs - it gives medschools one less thing to reject them for. I really do think people on this forum underestimate the importance of GCSEs. I know at some medical schools they don't overly matter, but I think at some of the others, they're more important than people think.

ReputationRep:
    Go to med school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp2r)
    I am quoting the 7 a stars from what Ive heard Birmingham want which seem to be the uni after the most a stars. Oxford want 70% I believe. This is also 6/7/8 a stars. So what have I said about getting 7 a stars which is so drastically wrong?
    Also my definition of top universties for med is Oxford, Cambridge and Birmingham as these seem to be, from the info I've read, the hardest to get into.
    Oh and don't have a go at me for saying you need 3rd science and an essay type subject at AS as I said this is just my opinion not fact. So I'm not givin wrong information as you claim, just my opinion which obviously differs from yours.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2010

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.