Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds crazy to be thinking about it so early on, but when is everyone planning on buying stuff for uni? there is a hell of a lot of things to buy such as kitchen utensils etc and im going to be extremely busy with exams and holidays until sept so wondered if its insane to start buying a few things now, what does everyone think?

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably get most of it over the summer / in the month and a half between results day and the start of uni :dontknow:

Of course, if I see something now that'll be great/really useful, and it's on sale or something, I'd probably get it. However, a month after results day is plenty of time! (IMO)

Someone gave me a student cook book yesterday Ahh, I am very excited about getting all my stuff for uni!

ReputationRep:
    Summer time. Slowly at the beginning, then more frequent shopping nearer the time before I go uni. Of course, any sales before Summer will be taken advantage of :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._To_University

read that :yy:

ReputationRep:
    i got all my stuff in the week before i started. you dont actually need to take huuge amounts

ReputationRep:
    last year i was buying things throughout the year as i saw them cheap/on offer so that it built up throughout the year and saved a last minute rush, also meant that it didnt hit my finances as much because it was throughout the year

ReputationRep:
    I got much of my stuff in the month between results and starting uni. I'd suggest maybe doing some of the buying now because otherwise you'll be spending a hell of a lot of money (or less if you don't get a new laptop) in a relatively short time and this, certainly for me, was quite shocking!

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I buy clothes now, I already think about whether they'll be good for uni/a gap year job :ninja:

But I'll get most things in the summer. Maybe even after results day, once I know I'm definitely going, wouldn't want to tempt fate.

ReputationRep:
    Okay Thanks TSR what to bring to uni list is soo long!

ReputationRep:
    If you live in a house that has an insane amount of empty storage space where you can keep all the stuff you buy until September, then I recommend you buy things gradually.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a lot of kitchen stuff from when I was living alone the past couple of years. It's been in the shed though since before Christmas so I'm going to have to replace some stuff. I dread to think what's got ruined but there isn't any space in the house. I don't think I really need to buy extra stuff apart from materials and clothes, if I manage to get in of course

Maybe if you see some stuff get it but then in the summer, you'll have plenty of time, I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    I already have everything I'll need. ;o

ReputationRep:
    I bought most stuff in September - there's a month between getting your results and freshers week so there's plenty of time for that.

I used the What to bring to Uni list on TSR (See robinson999's post above) - it helps cover a lot of stuff. After the first term, just bring back any stuff that you didn't use.

Start looking for clothes now :yy: I have about 2 weeks supply of them.

ReputationRep:
    haha thats cool... yeah thats the thing i will be in Egypt in september ! so not alot of time... my mum gave me a new cheese grater today ahah first thing to cross off my list!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tatty_)
    haha thats cool... yeah thats the thing i will be in Egypt in september ! so not alot of time... my mum gave me a new cheese grater today ahah first thing to cross off my list!
    You can buy everything you need for uni in a day... Everything you currently own + some stationary + cooking shiz. Cooking stuff can _all_ be bought in Tesco extra for example, and you can get a duvet there if you need too. You don't need lots of time...

ReputationRep:
    Well my mum bought me a mini ironing board the other day. It's a start.

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting till the summer holidays because it will just be another reason to procrastinate with revision otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    my mum bought me pans for xmas... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, you can get everything done in a day.

Don't think you need to take EVERYTHING that you own. I took WAY too much stuff with me to uni, and it was just a pain in the arse, especially as half of it didn't get used.

I've bought a fair amount of stuff already, crockery, cutlery, bedding etc but I am a gap year applicant so I know for sure I'll be going to uni . It's just spreading the cost (rather than the time) over a longer period to make it less painful for myself and my parents!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.