Turn on thread page Beta

Social Anxiety Disorder... watch

Announcements

I think i may have social anxiety disorder, im bad at meeting new people and recently its started to actually affect mt life. I wont go out with my bf if hes with his mates ect even though i really want to, but when the time comes i get an overwhelming feeling and back out. I never used to be like this, it started at the end of high school where i was bullied because of my looks, and it has really affected my self esteem. Ive joined a dance class to meet new people ect which is good but hasnt been enough to change me. This might sound like a dumb question, but if i went to the doctors and mentioned this problem would it affect my uni offer? Surely uni wouldnt want someone with a social anxiety problem??? Anyone else in the same situation or can relate? keep anon please x

ReputationRep:
    No it wouldn't affect your uni offer at all, I'm sorry that's all the advice I have.

ReputationRep:
    like i said, MAN up

this "disorder" is just an excuse weak people use

ReputationRep:
    how would your uni find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilwaynefan)
    like i said, MAN up

Just shut up, please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilwaynefan)
    like i said, MAN up

I suffer from SA, and I can tell you that it is far from a weak excuse. Your ignorance is an insult for those who suffer from this condition day to day. While you may be able to interact socially in a normal manner, we have great difficulty in doing so. I suggest you refrain from posting messages like this because they stagnate or take away any progress that people suffering from SA have made.

I'd read up on it and try talking to people who suffer from this condition and listening to them, find out how they feel and how SA effects them. Only then, might you understand how insensitive and blind-sighted you are being.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a doctor and get diagnosed.
    Self-diagnosis of SA is what has caused so many people like one of the above posters to consider it a mockery.

To be personally honest it doesn't even sound like you suffer from SA, you're just shy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.