Turn on thread page Beta

AT UNI? Advice to your younger self about A-levels, and Uni!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am a genie, and am able to send a message through time to your younger A-LEVEL-self......

1.What advice do you want to give yourself about A-LEVELS?

2.What advice do you want to give to yourself about University?

Wish away!!!

ReputationRep:
    1) Enjoy it while you can, it's going to get much much harder.

2) Join sports groups and societies in 1st year. As if you join in second year you will be swamped with things to do. Also get as much work experience along side your degree as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwentyTen)
    Hello

I am a genie, and am able to send a message through time to your younger A-LEVEL-self......

Wish away!!!
    1. do not choose subjects which have no correlation. i.e. choose physics and philosophy/ geography over history + chemistry at AS.

2. pick the course that you like. do not get forced into any choices just because someone else told you to.

EDIT: sorry, i didn't realise this was for people AT UNI lol, i would still give this advice to myself two years ago

ReputationRep:
    Just applied to uni, and I would tell my younger self to try and be a straight A student...as it isnt hard for me to get A's...Im just too frickin lazy >< and Oxford looks mighty nice..

ReputationRep:
    I have no advice for 1.

2. Don't go.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni yet so I couldn't comment on the latter...but if I could go back in time I would not have changed sixth forms and I wouldn't have started originally doing 7 A levels...was a ridiculous plan! I wouldn't have chosen my original A levels based on what I needed to get into the career I wanted to go into but rather...what I enjoyed and where my talents lie.

So basically...

• don't change sixth form for the prestige (I changed to a selective girls' school and then returned to my original school after)

• choose to do 4 A levels at most

• make sure you choose the right subjects for you

• I'm really glad that I had the guts to go back to my original sixth form and retake year 12...despite all my friends going off to uni...it took guts but it was well worth it because now I can go to a decent uni and do what I want to do!

ReputationRep:
    It gets better. Stick it out and don't let it get to you.

Listen to what you want, and not what others 'advise' you.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Wish away!!!
    Thats very irresponsible. Please dont mess with the space-time continuum in future. But since youve probably already sent a load of messages:

1) enjoy yourself. you'll do fine.

2) dont pick your uni based solely on league tables. You have to live there for 3 years aswell. And do some work experience/internships during the summer.

ReputationRep:
    1) pick 1 hard subject 1 medium and 2 easy subjects, getting A's in all of these is better than getting C's in 4 hard subjects
    2) join as many sport clubs and societies as you can...even if you've never played the sport

ReputationRep:
    Drink more, sleep more, shag more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Drink more, sleep more, shag more.
    Off topic, but what accomodation did you stay in during your first year at Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAyy)
    Off topic, but what accomodation did you stay in during your first year at Nottingham?
    Broadgate Park. :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've been to uni so I guess I sort of count? But anyway.

1. Work harder in the subjects you don't enjoy as much. You were always going to do well in psych. Not so much the others.

2. BE REALISTIC. And have a bloody insurance choice or you'll end up on a course you hate, making yourself ill, and then having to reapply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Broadgate Park. :gthumb:
    Was it nice there? I've heard people complain about it, kinda putting me off of it :o:

ReputationRep:
    Go and see as many universities as possible before applying.
    Work harder at AS.
    If your results at A level don't get you into your first choice university or course, don't panic and take the first thing you are offered on clearing. Make sure it's right for you.

ReputationRep:
    Not at uni yet but for the first question, don't get so flipping complacent! You still need to work, you aren't as good as exams as your GCSEs might suggest, you can't get away with the bare minimum of work.

ReputationRep:
    1. Stand your ground on Latin. Do a little more work, especially on history coursework.

2. Pick Linguistics with German ffs not Russian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAyy)
    Was it nice there? I've heard people complain about it, kinda putting me off of it :o:
    Well I was in the old(er) part and I still had one of the best years of my life. It's the people you meet and the things you do that make it fun. The newer blocks are nice and the older ones are being renovated apparently.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Do different A Levels (possibly Business Studies/Biology/Psychology instead of Business Studies/English/History).

Do a different degree (possibly Biology and Psychology). Work harder at uni.

Go to uni nearer home.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To myself:
    1) Don't make your sixth form choice on the basis of one A-Level you want to do and one good mate who's going there, go to the better sixth form that have offered you a place. Don't quit French after AS Level just because you don't like the teacher, you'll miss learning languages. Don't doss about and get complacent because you have great predicted grades; predictions don't get you into your chosen uni, results do.

2) Don't take law, you'll find it really dull and really difficult. Take English or something you know you're good at instead. Work hard at politics. Stay well. Learn to say no. Don't let your irrational nature or your worries get the better of you, seek help the minute you think they are.

To anyone:
    1) Don't doss about and get complacent because you have great predicted grades; predictions don't get you into your chosen uni, results do.
    2) Choose your uni and your course because it's what you want, not because your school said so, or mum and dad want a doctor in the family, or someone on TSR said Whatever Studies at Anyville University will get you nowhere in life. If you can afford the time, get some relevant ECs/volunteer work under your belt. Apply early for grad schemes. Work hard but play hard too, just get the balance right!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.