Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay)
    yeah- i think there is a problem with us telling people that university is the only route. south korea set out on a mission a decade ago to bring the number of people going to university up. they had fantastic success with this policy. a vast vast amount of the korean population now go to university. success? no.

they spent the best part of a generation, and so much time and energy promoting the benefits of university that they neglected the rest of their society. now in south korea there are no plumbers. there are no labourers. there are massive skills shortages in the primary sector. you now have a society of people with university degrees. great. they're not worth the paper they're written on.

yes- give help to the high flyers. but for goodness sake lets not neglect the grass roots of our society by forcing the message down people's throats that university is the only way. it isn't. we should be talking about helping whichever person in what they are best at. because we need them all. so yes, helping your high flyer is important. but it is no less important than helping a plumber become a plumber. forcing academia down people's throats is a road fraught with danger. we have seen it all over the world.

my problem with this thread in general is the way we are looking at getting society's plumbers to C grade in GCSE, and mentoring them to get there. No. If people are best at plumbing, we should be helping them toward the top end of a vocational qualification (a meaningful vocational qualification), not the mid-end of an academic qualification. Mentor people in what they are best at. Don't force an academic route upon people and don't tell society that university is the only way. And don't only mentor the academically bright. Mentor the vocationally bright as well. But mentor them in appropriate things.
    yeah i agree but the mentoring for these people is not there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIGTIG)
    yeah i agree but the mentoring for these people is not there.
    in america they just have mentoring sessions

every tuesday and thursday mornings and afternoons (after abd before) you go to that teachers class and get help if you want to *shrug* then the kids who dont care dont go and the kids who do care go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    yeah you do need someone to unplug the toilets and dig the ditchs :cool:
    But could these plumbers have achieved more if they had more mentoring
    most plumers i know say there in a dead end job but cant help it.
    most 40 year olds will tell you also.

ReputationRep:
    in america they just have mentoring sessions

every tuesday and thursday mornings and afternoons (after abd before) you go to that teachers class and get help if you want to *shrug* then the kids who dont care dont go and the kids who do care go
    yeah thats how it should be done

ReputationRep:
    well yeah

and that system does seem a bit unfair, but thats why in america its different !

ReputationRep:
    just to let you kno: the bad rep you gave me last nite only took away 2 points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    I think you just happen to know a few nasty people. I don't think all brainy students are like that.
    the majority I find are I've moved to alot of different schools and places around england so you know i think they mainly like that

How is a plumber with a B in Maths GCSE a better plumber than one with a D?

ReputationRep:
    We used to have a cleaner. She was really nice and was always going on about how important it was to get her kids to go to school cause when she was young she couldn't be arsed with it...which is why she's now a cleaner. Sure she probably could have been so much more but not everyone who gets low grades gets them because they needed more help, its cause they couldn't give a crap about school. You can't shove education down someone's throat. And if they regret it 20 years later after a thrilling career in plumbing then all they can do is encourage their kids to do better.

ReputationRep:
    just to let you kno: the bad rep you gave me last nite only took away 2 points
    and? i thought you were evil. by the way what grades did you get

(Original post by Toyosi)
    thrilling career in plumbing
    Plumbing is a skilled profession which is well-paid and probably more interesting than your average desk job .

ReputationRep:
    and? i thought you were evil. by the way what grades did you get
    we have the grading system as follows

a b c d f

i gor and 85 (thats a B) in Gifted and Talented program

I got a 79 in english (because i had a 14 on a major grade) thats a C in Gifted and Talented

a 84 in math (a B) im in honors math

a 91 in Gifted and Talented science (an A)

a 94 in French an A

in our system there are the following levels

GT- Gifted and Talented top 10 percent in the nation

Honors- whoever is smart enough to be a year up

and Level- right where you supposed to be

basiclly as a year nine im taking all yr 11 courses except math at yr 10 and french which doesnt have a level honors or GT

ReputationRep:
    How is a plumber with a B in Maths GCSE a better plumber than one with a D?
    they will develop a much more effective logic capibility which means they'll have a better perseption to problem solving.
    also tell me why an archtect would need better grades than that of the builders working for him/her?

ReputationRep:
    they will develop a much more effective logic capibility which means they'll have a better perseption to problem solving.
    also tell me why an archtect would need better grades than that of the builders working for him/her?
    CurryAdd is alright. She isn't a moron and perhaps somebody who you will grow to like.

ReputationRep:
    we have the grading system as follows

a b c d f

i gor and 85 (thats a B) in Gifted and Talented program

I got a 79 in english (because i had a 14 on a major grade) thats a C in Gifted and Talented

a 84 in math (a B) im in honors math

a 91 in Gifted and Talented science (an A)

a 94 in French an A

in our system there are the following levels

GT- Gifted and Talented top 10 percent in the nation

Honors- whoever is smart enough to be a year up

and Level- right where you supposed to be

basiclly as a year nine im taking all yr 11 courses except math at yr 10 and french which doesnt have a level honors or GT
    so basicly your mentoring helpe. and also you are another a grade student who is all up her own ass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    CurryAdd is alright. She isn't a moron and perhaps somebody who you will grow to like.
    awww thanx......

from my fave english kiddo too no less

ReputationRep:
    awww thanx......

from my fave english kiddo too no less
    I aint a kid, I'm old enough to be your granddad or ,aybe not I'm still older, and I'm off to Uni next year!!! How many years have you got left before you can do your degree?

ReputationRep:
    so basicly your mentoring helpe. and also you are another a grade student who is all up her own ass
    no im not

i was failing english the first nine weeks

im proud i pulled that up to a C

and im not up my own ass

i WORK super HARD for my GRADEs

i practice at swim for 4 hours a day........so i stay up all hours of the nite to get my stuff done

so im not stuck up my own ass. im proud of how good my grades are..... would you have me lie?

ReputationRep:
    Plumbing is a skilled profession which is well-paid and probably more interesting than your average desk job .
    well can you answer my question why does an architect need better qualifications than a builder who actually does the job of making the house.
    9 times out of 10 not that the architect just does the drawing/model and leaves the assistant architect the boss builder if you will, to add up the quantity and cost of the project

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I aint a kid, I'm old enough to be your granddad or ,aybe not I'm still older, and I'm off to Uni next year!!! How many years have you got left before you can do your degree?
    aww be nice

3 and a half more years and only 3 till me first ROAD TRIP

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.