Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I know Ive asked this question before but I want a solid answer.
    I have to send my A Level subject choices by Monday and im still not sure about 4th subject. I am a good all rounder and for my four GCSE choices I took Triple Science, Statistics, Applied ICT and French.

Ill probably get A in GCSE for French but I dont want to take it for A Levels.

My definite subjects Ill take for A Levels are:

Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths

I want to go to Oxbridge (I know, I have high expectations) or Imperial to study medicine so Id really like to know what subject to take for my fourth subject. I might not drop it so please dont say take an easy one. Ive been advised to take an essay non-science subject, is that advisable?

In my mind Ive narrowed it to a few choices:

History (Should I take it if I didnt take it for GCSE)
    Psychology (Been told not to a science and plus that good universities prefer the traditional subjects eg. History and that Psychology is a soft subject)
    English (Not too sure about this, been doing well so far [A* for coursework and 7 for SATS :P] but Ive got ideas in my head but I cant put them on paper, I got a BB for mocks)

Any other suggestions welcome.
    Please reply ASAP

ReputationRep:
    History is perfectly possible at A level despite not doing GCSE, I do it and find it really interesting. The few people in my class who didn't take it for GCSE have all said that you have to spend a couple of weeks learning the basic GCSE skills but once you've picked them up it's fine
    Psychology I also do, whilst it's the 'softest' of your choices, I wouldn't completely rule it out, it depends on whether you think you would find it enjoyable.
    Finally, English, would it be lit or language? I would consider doing Lit, which I do, it's interesting and like History is a well respected subject. You'd have lots of practice before your exams too to learn how to best put your ideas down on paper and develop your skills.

I would personally do History or Eng lit, probably History out of the two. It's respected and IMO really enjoyable, don't let not doing it at GCSE put you off either

ReputationRep:
    English out of those choices.

I did Maths, Physics, English Lit and Fine Art. Dropped Fine Art after AS and did AS&A2 Further Maths in my second year of sixth form. Was enough for Cambridge and Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    If you're taking Maths anyway, Further Maths really helps. I studied it outside of school so that I had three numerate A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DKB07)
    Hey

I have to send my A Level subject choices by Monday and im still not sure about 4th subject. I am a good all rounder and for my four GCSE choices I took Triple Science, Statistics, Applied ICT and French.

Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths

I want to go to Oxbridge (I know, I have high expectations) or Imperial to study medicine so Id really like to know what subject to take for my fourth subject. I might not drop it so please dont say take an easy one. Ive been advised to take an essay non-science subject, is that advisable?

Psychology (Been told not to a science and plus that good universities prefer the traditional subjects eg. History and that Psychology is a soft subject)
    English (Not too sure about this, been doing well so far [A* for coursework and 7 for SATS :P] but Ive got ideas in my head but I cant put them on paper, I got a BB for mocks)

Please reply ASAP
    I would agree with warpie! If you have an interest in History, and the units that your college/sixth form offer are interesting then by all means do History. GCSE History is good to have as background knowledge of everything, but as you will come to realise the content acquired at GCSE can be obtained within a few days of heavy reading! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    What about physics?

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about Philosophy? It links in very well to maths and is very interesting anyway... I so wish I took it...
    I wouldn't reccommend taking History if you did not take it for GCSE, and I also would not reccommend taking a subject in the knowledge that you will drop it - For some reason you may well end up stuck with this last subject for two years.

Don't worry about the BB in Mocks for English.. Everyone improves, so don't let it put you off.

Good Luck with the choice

ReputationRep:
    I'd say take either one of English or History that you think will enjoy studying the most for a year. It is completely possible to do it without doing GCSE so don't worry about that! To be honest, your 4th A-level choice is pretty irrelevant if you're planning on dropping one when you go into 2nd year.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    (Original post by ghast)
    (Original post by Jacinta)
    Thanks Warpie and Jacinta, any ideas on the GCSE skills that would be useful for A Levels? I really enjoyed it year 7 - 9 but in a moment of madness I chose French over it at GCSE.

As I said I like English and its interesting and Im pretty OK at it, my problem is I know Ill get much lower in the exams because of the examiners demand for certain things. Plus when Im writing in an exam, I write something amazing and it makes sense in my brain, but when I read it back my sentences dont make sense at all. I might just rule that one out.
    Jacinta, I did say that I may take the fourth subject for A2, but thanks for the advice

(Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    Have you thought about Philosophy? It links in very well to maths and is very interesting anyway... I so wish I took it.
    Never really considered it, what is it mainly about, and again people say it falls in the "soft" subject category.
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    (Original post by SmileyGurl13)
    I did think about Further Maths, I like Maths but some Universties dont consider it as a "Full A Level" and I think it will be too much Maths + Science. Then again if im not feeling the pressure I may take it outside school like you .
    SmileyGurl, as I said I dont want another Science subject as I already have two solid ones and I think Physics and Maths would be too much. I wanted some other Non Science\Maths subject.

On the subject of Psychology it may sound interesting, but I havent studied it yet so I cant say.

ReputationRep:
    Forget about what you "think" you should do, ie, what you think would look good. What subject do you WANT to do? It will really make no difference what you choose.

ReputationRep:
    English Literature or History maybe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Forget about what you "think" you should do, ie, what you think would look good. What subject do you WANT to do? It will really make no difference what you choose.
    This is so true. Unless you're enjoying the subjects, A-levels will be quite hard becasue there is quite a big jump from GCSE. What's your next favourite subject? Do that.

Philosophy is all about the 'big' questions in life.. So it's really interesting stuff like "Is there a God?" and you look at what different Philosophers have said about different questions.. You don't have to have done it for GCSE and rather than seeing it as a soft subject I think it makes a student a more rounded person: For the first time you really have to think about what YOU believe...

ReputationRep:
    Do further maths or physics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DKB07)
    Hey

Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths

Please reply ASAP

Plain and simple. You're going for medicine, you have the two must-have subjects, and maths is a great addition to them.

So the fourth choice is flexible. I would recommend going for something you enjoy and are good at. If there is no preference for a subject that you enjoy, then physics will definitely be best because ICL want science subjects- its great too, because all 3 of the sciences have interlinked theories in the syllabus.

If you like maths, then further maths is adviseable too, but not many unis see that as a whole alevel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DKB07)
    Thanks Warpie and Jacinta, any ideas on the GCSE skills that would be useful for A Levels? I really enjoyed it year 7 - 9 but in a moment of madness I chose French over it at GCSE.

As I said I like English and its interesting and Im pretty OK at it, my problem is I know Ill get much lower in the exams because of the examiners demand for certain things. Plus when Im writing in an exam, I write something amazing and it makes sense in my brain, but when I read it back my sentences dont make sense at all. I might just rule that one out.
    Jacinta, I did say that I may take the fourth subject for A2, but thanks for the advice

Never really considered it, what is it mainly about, and again people say it falls in the "soft" subject category.

I did think about Further Maths, I like Maths but some Universties dont consider it as a "Full A Level" and I think it will be too much Maths + Science. Then again if im not feeling the pressure I may take it outside school like you .
    SmileyGurl, as I said I dont want another Science subject as I already have two solid ones and I think Physics and Maths would be too much. I wanted some other Non Science\Maths subject.

On the subject of Psychology it may sound interesting, but I havent studied it yet so I cant say.
    As far as 'skills' go, I'd say practise your essay writing and analytical skills if you're looking to go for History or English, they'll help you a lot

ReputationRep:
    Out of those three options, history would be your best bet by far. It is probably the most respected, the most useful for a course in medicine, and, with a bit of hard work, you should get an A. To top it off, it is probably one of the few subjects that is not made more difficult by not having taken it at GCSE.

However, I would also advise seriously considering further maths or physics. I realise that you've said you want to study a non-science subject, but medicine is deeply rooted in the sciences, and if I were you, I would go for physics - if you are comfortable with maths, you should be able to get an A comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porkstein)
    Out of those three options, history would be your best bet by far. It is probably the most respected, the most useful for a course in medicine, and, with a bit of hard work, you should get an A. To top it off, it is probably one of the few subjects that is not made more difficult by not having taken it at GCSE.

However, I would also advise seriously considering further maths or physics. I realise that you've said you want to study a non-science subject, but medicine is deeply rooted in the sciences, and if I were you, I would go for physics - if you are comfortable with maths, you should be able to get an A comfortably.
    If he WANTS to study a non-science, by all means, he should do so. However, that's not the impression I get. He says he's "been advised" to do so, which makes me think that some misinformed people are telling him that's it "bad" to do the 3 sciences and maths, which is completely untrue.

ReputationRep:
    Right, exactly. Sorry if my wording was off.

I also got the impression that he 'wanted' to study a non-science subject because he was led to believe that it would give him a better combination of A-Levels. That is certainly far from the truth.

ReputationRep:
    No thanks guys, it would certainly do my head in if I had 5 periods of science, even though the subject interests me, some topics make me sleep after 1 and a half hour atleast.

ReputationRep:
    Sure thing. In that case, I would go for history. It will afford you the breaks from science that you feel you need.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.