Spilt stuff on laptop keyboard Watch

Jane eyre
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've spilled a really sugary drink (it wasn't much but its really sugary, the kind that comes with canned fruits) on my laptop keyboard and the keys have gone weird. Its giving me 3 or 4 letters for every key I press and randomly turning on keys like shift and enter.

I've turned the laptop off within a few minutes and cleaned it with tissue and hair drier, but the keyboard isn't fully back to normal :/ Do I have to prise off the keys and clean under them? Should I be concerned about damage to the circuit?
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 8 years ago
Even though you say you didn't spill much, you should really have left it to dry for longer than it sounds like you did, just in case it got into the casing. Regarding the keys, leave them for now, but if it doesn't improve after it's completely dry (i.e. 24 hours or so) then they may require a clean.

http://www.ehow.com/video_113626_cle...op-spills.html
jt18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you can remove laptop keys as you can with a normal keyboard its a doddle. Pop them off, get some rubbing alcohol or soapy water, use q tips to clean it.
Jane eyre
Rep:
?
(Original post by secretmessages)
Even though you say you didn't spill much, you should really have left it to dry for longer than it sounds like you did, just in case it got into the casing. Regarding the keys, leave them for now, but if it doesn't improve after it's completely dry (i.e. 24 hours or so) then they may require a clean.

http://www.ehow.com/video_113626_cle...op-spills.html
Thanks for the link, I didn't realise how bad it could be before watching it. I've left if to dry overnight and it seems okay now except for one key. The 'm' key doesn't work all the time. It takes multiple attempts to type the letter m :/

As for the hard drive, its working fine atm. If any damage was done, it would have happened right away right? :erm:
Jane eyre
Rep:
?
(Original post by jt18)
If you can remove laptop keys as you can with a normal keyboard its a doddle. Pop them off, get some rubbing alcohol or soapy water, use q tips to clean it.
Soapy water is safe to use to clean laptops?? :eek: If I have to remove the keys, will I be able attach the again? It doesn't look re-attachable.
jt18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jane Eyre)
Soapy water is safe to use to clean laptops?? :eek: If I have to remove the keys, will I be able attach the again? It doesn't look re-attachable.
You will have to check. I've never done it with a laptop. It should be fine, use a minimal amount of soap. You will be using a very small applicator and applying it to plastic so it shouldn't cause any problems. With my keyboard, I pull off all the keys put them in the sink to steep. Then carefully clean the keyboard itself. (desktop keyboard).

Obviously dont go overboard, dont do it if your not comfortable. And ensure you can reattach your keys.
JayEm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't use soapy water!! Buy some electronic contact cleaner (basically nail polish remover in a can), spray that under the key and leave it for an hour in a warm place to evaporate. Don't get it on any painted bits as it'll probably remove it, lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1203)
79.56%
Leave (309)
20.44%

Watched Threads