Quick chemistry problem please help! Watch

lauram992
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is probably a very basic problem but my mind has gone blank, so I apologise in advance :P

Suppose I had a compound X. I measured out a weight of it such that there were 0.6 moles of it. I then added it to 10 ml of water to make a solution of it.
(So the concentration of it in the 10 ml of water would be 60moldm^-3, right?)

Next, I only want 1 ml of the solution, so I take it 1ml of it out and put it into a beaker, already containing say 10 ml of a different solution. What would be the concentration of the solution of compound X in the beaker?

Thanks in advance!
LetoKynes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lauram992)
This is probably a very basic problem but my mind has gone blank, so I apologise in advance :P

Suppose I had a compound X. I measured out a weight of it such that there were 0.6 moles of it. I then added it to 10 ml of water to make a solution of it.
(So the concentration of it in the 10 ml of water would be 60moldm^-3, right?)

Next, I only want 1 ml of the solution, so I take it 1ml of it out and put it into a beaker, already containing say 10 ml of a different solution. What would be the concentration of the solution of compound X in the beaker?

Thanks in advance!
This is assuming compound X hasn't undergone any reactions, right?

60 mol dm^-3 should be right. (That number is really high though, not sure if it's realistic :p:)

In 1ml of the solution there would be (60 * 0.001 = 0.06) mol.

(I realise I'm using a sort of round-about method here, but hopefully it helps you understand )

Since you're adding 1 ml to 10ml of a different solution, you'll end up with a total of 11ml.

You now have 0.06 mol of Compound X in the 11ml solution.

Conc. of X in the solution = 0.06/0.011 mol dm^-3

Sorry if I've gone wrong anywhere
lauram992
Rep:
?
(Original post by LetoKynes)
This is assuming compound X hasn't undergone any reactions, right?

60 mol dm^-3 should be right. (That number is really high though, not sure if it's realistic :p:)

In 1ml of the solution there would be (60 * 0.01 = 0.6) mol.

Since you're adding 1 ml to 10ml of a different solution, you'll end up with a total of 11ml.

You now have 0.6 mol of Compound X in the 11ml solution.

Conc. of X in the solution = 0.6/0.011 mol dm^-3

Sorry if I've gone wrong anywhere
Thanks, but when you take the 1ml out, you wouldn't be removing the whole 0.6 moles, would you? :P
LetoKynes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lauram992)
Thanks, but when you take the 1ml out, you wouldn't be removing the whole 0.6 moles, would you? :P
Woops sorry lol, had it right at first then edited it and made it wrong :woo: re-edited it, should be okay now
lauram992
Rep:
?
(Original post by LetoKynes)
Woops sorry lol, had it right at first then edited it and made it wrong :woo: re-edited it, should be okay now
Ahh ok, thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (860)
80.37%
Leave (210)
19.63%

Watched Threads