Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Protesters stage mass overdose outside Boots watch

• View Poll Results: Homeopathy
    It works
    10.95%
    I have no opinion
    18.25%
    It's a con... A fool and his money are soon parted!
    70.80%

ReputationRep:
    Homeopathy sceptics have staged a mass "overdose" of homeopathic remedies, in a bid to prove they have no effect.

Protesters ate whole bottles of tablets at branches of Boots in places such as Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, London, Leicester, Edinburgh and Birmingham.

They have asked the pharmacy chain to stop selling the remedies, which they call "scientifically absurd".

The Society of Homeopaths called it a "stunt". Boots said it followed industry guidelines on homeopathy.

From 2005 to 2008 the NHS spent almost £12m on homeopathic treatments, according to a 2009 Freedom Of Information request by Channel 4 News.

'Placebo effect'

Supporters of homeopathy say it is a system that uses very highly diluted substances to trigger the body to heal itself, but critics argue there is no evidence they work.

Rest of the article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8489019.stm
    Seeing as homeopathy is a great big con, I doubt they'll suffer any ill effects. Thoughts and opinions? Good way to protests, or are they simply wasting their time?

ReputationRep:
    Unless Im severly mistaken, I thought the point of shops was you go in, buy what you want, and get the hell out? There are LOTS of things I dont agree with, but I really couldnt give a rats ass whether they're on sale or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGuillotine)
    Unless Im severly mistaken, I thought the point of shops was you go in, buy what you want, and get the hell out? There are LOTS of things I dont agree with, but I really couldnt give a rats ass whether they're on sale or not.
    The NHS is using your taxes to fund them, don't you find that objectionable? They're literally throwing money down the pan on this junk.

I hope it ***** all there livers up and the NHS laughs at them as they die on the street.

If qualified doctors want to use it, thats up to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    The NHS is using your taxes to fund them, don't you find that objectionable? They're literally throwing money down the pan on this junk.
    I do, but I thought my response made it clear I was referring to OTC 'remedies'.

ReputationRep:
    why do they care if boots sells them. some people need to get a life.

ReputationRep:
    Good way to protests, or are they simply wasting their time?
    TBH the homeopaths' (fair, according to their POV) counter-argument would be that the homeopathic remedies work the better, the more dilluted they are. Therefore consuming a whole package is not likely to 'cause any side effects. Not consuming homeopathic drugs at all when you're ill would, though

ReputationRep:
    Send that to The Daily Mail and they might just give you a job!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If the tablets have 0 mg of medicine...and there's 50 tablets in a bottle (for example) then by my calculation eating an entire bottle will have....0 mg of medicine.

Homeopathy is nothing more than the placebo effect (if that) and should not be provided by the NHS because it's as good as giving a child a boiled sweet and saying that it'll make them better.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if homeopathy works or not tbh. But I read about this in my local paper, I reckon all those tablets will do is give them a dose of the squits.:p: . But wouldnt it funny ( in a haha kind of way) if the medicine made them protestors feel healthier??.

ReputationRep:
    Good. It's pretty ridiculous that Boots sell it, they are a very trusted company. They shouldn't be selling "medicines" which don't work.

And of course the NHS shouldn't be paying for it, that they do is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    I hope it ***** all there livers up and the NHS laughs at them as they die on the street.

If qualified doctors want to use it, thats up to them.
    It's got about as much chance of ******* their livers up as Princess Diana has of coming back from the dead and winning the lottery.

Hence why every medical journal calls them a con.

(Original post by Annie72)
    I dont know if homeopathy works or not tbh. But I read about this in my local paper, I reckon all those tablets will do is give them a dose of the squits.:p: . But wouldnt it funny ( in a haha kind of way) if the medicine made them protestors feel healthier??.
    Would be even more funny if they all died.

It's got about as much chance of ******* their livers up as Princess Diana has of coming back from the dead and winning the lottery.

Thats why qualified doctors use them in treatment yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacinta)
    Send that to The Daily Mail and they might just give you a job!
    Doubt it, I don't vote Tory you see and I object to fox hunting. They'd probably lynch me and call me a commie.

(Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Good. It's pretty ridiculous that Boots sell it, they are a very trusted company. They shouldn't be selling "medicines" which don't work.

And of course the NHS shouldn't be paying for it, that they do is absurd.
    Last time I checked you had eyes to read a label. And you were not forced with a gun to buy them?

ReputationRep:
    The was on the wright stuff 2 weeks ago, they said in one particular homeopathic tablet (can't remember what kind) you had to have over a 8 million billion billion billion tablets to have get one gram of the substance. I have no objection to shops selling homeopathic things as long as they don't claim it has benefits that it does not.

I'm a bit confused about homeopathic remedies though, I know its tablets that are so diluted it no longer has any of the actual thing it claims is in it but I thought things like acupuncture also counted as homeopathic, and I have no objections to that being on the NHS :confused:

I think the majority of people don't understand what homeopathic means, I know I don't, so can someone clear it up for me? Does homeopathic include alternative things like acupuncture or massages? :confused:

ReputationRep:

You never know, they could have been contaminated during manufacture. Come on, irony is always funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGuillotine)
    I do, but I thought my response made it clear I was referring to OTC 'remedies'.
    He's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Thats why qualified doctors use them in treatment yes?
    Those doctors are a minority and rubbished by their colleagues on a regular basis.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.