Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Protesters stage mass overdose outside Boots watch

• View Poll Results: Homeopathy
    It works
    10.95%
    I have no opinion
    18.25%
    It's a con... A fool and his money are soon parted!
    70.80%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    for those who dont know what homeopathy is:

1st) they take a flower and dilute its atoms into water
    then) they take this solution and dilute it down until there is almost none of the original susbstance left.

as somebody has allready said, it was mentioned on the wright stuff the other week, that you would have to buy multiple bottles to get even one atom that wasnt water.
    And it's even worse than that. Before you even get to the dilution bit, the principle behind it is that "like cures like" (hence the "homo" part of the name). So the substances which get diluted are substances which are meant to cause similar symptoms to the symptoms of the illness. So first you'd have to prove that "like cures like" isn't a load of nonsense, and then you'd have to prove that it can have any effect with no molecules at all left in the final product.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    So if a company made a face cream, and it was just plain face cream with nothing in it, you'd be fine with them advertising it saying it'd cure skin conditions? It'd then be the customer's fault for believing them, not the company's fault for talking crap about their face cream?
    A company lying about what a form of homeopathic medicine does is very different to them offering homeopathic medicines. Deceit isn't what I expressed an opinion on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    The NHS is using your taxes to fund them, don't you find that objectionable? They're literally throwing money down the pan on this junk.
    Your statement is pathetic and is so commonly used.
    Are you under the illusion that if these are stopped by the NHS you will receive some sort of tax deduction in the future or you will see some tangible improvement in an area controlled by the government which will directly benefit you all thanks to a reallocation of this '12 million' or would you prefer some sort of tax rebate of 19p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thingeh)
    A company lying about what a form of homeopathic medicine does is very different to them offering homeopathic medicines. Deceit isn't what I expressed an opinion on.
    They are lying about what it does by selling it as a "remedy" or "treatment" in the first place, because it doesn't work.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    They are claiming that the homeopathic 'medicine' does something, in fact they are lying about it being 'medicine' at all!

ReputationRep:
    It is allowing prescriptions for homeopathic remedies, which are then dispensed at Boots chemists.
    So boots are filling doctors prescriptions, and they are doing something wrong? Surely they'd be doing something wrong if they didn't fill a prescription from a qualified medical prefossional? Who are they to judge what has been prescribed for each patient?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttocserp)
    Your statement is pathetic and is so commonly used.
    Are you under the illusion that if these are stopped by the NHS you will receive some sort of tax deduction in the future or you will see some tangible improvement in an area controlled by the government which will directly benefit you all thanks to a reallocation of this '12 million' or would you prefer some sort of tax rebate of 19p
    I'm not bothered about getting 19p pence back, however I am concerned that they're freely pissing money down the drain on things that are proven to be utter claptrap. That money could be used to fund drugs that actually work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    I think you have missed the point of the protest old son. The other obvious place to protest would be at hospitals - but I don;t think that will go down too well.
    Surely if it is an 'overdose' then it is an overdose and will have to be dealth with by the local hospital anyway. How much would of an ineffectual substance would constitute an overdose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfect_Gent)
    So boots are filling doctors prescriptions, and they are doing something wrong? Surely they'd be doing something wrong if they didn't fill a prescription from a qualified medical prefossional? Who are they to judge what has been prescribed for each patient?
    They also sell it for profit.

Surely if it is an 'overdose' then it is an overdose and will have to be dealth with by the local hospital anyway. How much would of an ineffectual substance would constitute an overdose?
    more than the label says that it is safe to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    thats the point.

by showing that it is impossible to overdose on them they will show that they dont do anything.
    I mean it wont make a difference in both senses of the word. ie won't die/won change anything.

ReputationRep:
    They also sell it for profit.
    and I refer you back to post 2 of this thread
    (Original post by MrGuillotine)
    Unless Im severly mistaken, I thought the point of shops was you go in, buy what you want, and get the hell out? There are LOTS of things I dont agree with, but I really couldnt give a rats ass whether they're on sale or not.

ReputationRep:
    and I refer you back to post 2 of this thread
    They are lying about the product by selling it as a "remedy." It's false advertising and it's unethical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    They are claiming that the homeopathic 'medicine' does something, in fact they are lying about it being 'medicine' at all!
    Can you provide evidence that homeopathic methods don't do anything? Any data on the thousands of people who've invested in homeopathic resources to suggest that none of them have definately not been affected after taking them?

I personally believe that those who homeopathic methods have "worked" on are likely benefiting from placebo effects, but so what? Is it bad that they're no longer suffering? The drug companies do not lie about what these products are, if people choose to believe that taking watered down flowers makes them magically better then that's their choice.

ReputationRep:
    Who are they to judge? A pharmacists job is to check what has been prescribed by a doctor is correct, not just dispense blindly.

By accepting prescriptions for phoney rememdies they are partaking in conning patients and the tax payer out of money. £7 prescription charge for what is effectively plain water? They might as well just sell them a bottle of 90 pence Evian or give them directions to the nearest tap and have done with it.

Homeopathy has been rubbished time and time again in the British Medical Journal and the Lancet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I dont know if homeopathy works or not tbh. But I read about this in my local paper, I reckon all those tablets will do is give them a dose of the squits.:p: . But wouldnt it funny ( in a haha kind of way) if the medicine made them protestors feel healthier??.
    Or, even better would be if it makes them all superhuman. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Can you provide evidence that homeopathic methods don't do anything? Any data on the thousands of people who've invested in homeopathic resources to suggest that none of them have definitely not been affected after taking them?

Claims of homeopathy's efficacy beyond the placebo effect are unsupported by the collective weight of scientific and clinical evidence. While some studies have positive results, systematic reviews of all the published trials fail to conclusively demonstrate efficacy. Furthermore, higher quality trials tend to report less positive results, and most positive studies have not been replicated or show methodological problems that prevent them from being considered unambiguous evidence of homeopathy's efficacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy
    Have a look at how many citations are in that paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    They are lying about the product by selling it as a "remedy." It's false advertising and it's unethical.
    If it was false advertising then they would have stopped them seling these products decades ago and whos ethics are they breaking? There is a lot of evidence that drugs anti-depressants only have a placebo effect in a large number of patients but should they stop selling these until they have been prescribed by a mental health professional?

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as homeopathy is a great big con, I doubt they'll suffer any ill effects. Thoughts and opinions? Good way to protests, or are they simply wasting their time?
    I'd laugh my balls off if they all died of an OD the following morning.

ReputationRep:
    Why Boots? Let people spend their own hard-earned money on whatever they want. Who has been disadvantaged enough by other people buying homeopathic remedies to have any sort of right to protest it? Honestly, people can buy imported air if they want - I'm not affected.

Homeopathic treatments being given on the NHS, however, is something else entirely.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.