Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Protesters stage mass overdose outside Boots watch

• View Poll Results: Homeopathy
    It works
    10.95%
    I have no opinion
    18.25%
    It's a con... A fool and his money are soon parted!
    70.80%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    I never understand how debates about alternative medicine get past this point.
    Because it's a meaningless semantic point that's only worth a little giggle about. It's not in any way useful in considering the merits of particular therapies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batmaz)
    What is your point here? I was asking if it is ethical to deceive patients into thinking they are receiving real drugs. Even in medical trials they inform the subjects that some of them will receive a placebo. And what about the people who are unaffected by placebos? There is no room for prescription of placebo in our society.
    You also don't seem to understand the point I am making.
    In response to :

So are you suggesting that it is ethical to prescribe placebos to patients, whilst deceiving them into thinking it is a valid remedy?
    I said:

(Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    Surely the nature of a placebo is that you can't know it's a placebo... because then it wouldn't be a placebo at all.
    If the placebo is going to cure their ailment, the placebo is a remedy. You are not therefore decieveing them.

I am guessing that currently we do not know enough of the mind and in which cases placebos may work - or indeed to what kind of person a placebo may be useful. What I am suggesting, however, is that the power of the mind is too powerful a thing to not be used - in a very controlled and safe way - to our own advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    If the placebo is going to cure their ailment, the placebo is a remedy. You are not therefore decieveing them.

I am guessing that currently we do not know enough of the mind and in which cases placebos may work - or indeed to what kind of person a placebo may be useful. What I am suggesting, however, is that the power of the mind is too powerful a thing to not be used - in a very controlled and safe way - to our own advantage.
    The mistake you're making here is in thinking that the placebo effect is enough to cure somebody of an illness. It is not. If sugar pills and glasses of water worked to cure illnesses, doctors would prescribe them and pharmaceutical companies would make them instead of costly medicines because it's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier that spending all that money of trials and development and manufacturing and paying for the pills.

ReputationRep:
    The mistake you're making here is in thinking that the placebo effect is enough to cure somebody of an illness. It is not. If sugar pills and glasses of water worked to cure illnesses, doctors would prescribe them and pharmaceutical companies would make them instead of costly medicines because it's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier that spending all that money of trials and development and manufacturing and paying for the pills.
    Whether it's powerful enough to cure an illness or not, i'd sggest that it's too powerful to be ignored.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.