Turn on thread page Beta

Should I quit latin? (it will add a C to my predicted 11 A*) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Some people on TSR have brought this up, which got me thinking so I thought I'd make a thread. Thing is I have been doing Latin as an after school club for a GCSE short course which takes up a quite a lot time, but I still only have it for an hour a week (excluding hw), and am predicted a C.

(I am predicted 11 A* and 2 As otherwise)

I enjoy it, but it is a lot of work and I was wondering if it would bring down my UCAS and things later on? (I really want to do English at Oxford later) Would it be better just to drop it.? I do have fun, don't get me wrong - just wondering if you thought I should stop so I can put the effort into my other studies? oh! I don't know? How much impact do you think it will have on my grades?

ReputationRep:
    It would not make any difference you got 11A*.

Universities wouldn't care unless you apply for Classics.

Don't worry ~

Note: If you think it WILL impact on your grades then drop it if you like, you don't need it.

ReputationRep:
    11A* is fine. Don't drop Latin, you say yourself you enjoy it, and an extra GCSE is always good.

ReputationRep:
    If you think it will impact on your other grades then probably. If you can keep up with the work in everything else then it isn't so much of a problem - besides, if it's a short course then it's only half a grade isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd prefer to not have the C as you have to disclose it on applications and things but thats my personal preference and I know people will disagree as this is a question that has come up alot before and most people say its better to have the extra GCSE which is a fair point I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    As logn as it isn't impacting any of your other GCSEs in terms of workload I would keep it on! With 11A*s they aren't going to mind the C, especially if its a short course. Like someone has said- you don't want to apply for Classics so it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    I would drop it.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt it would make much of a difference either way to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    1) It's only a short course, so Oxbridge won't even count it.

2) It's only a predicted grade.

You like it? Keep doing it!

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise dropping it. Getting a C in a GCSE wouldn't look good.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted grades are just useless, I was predicted plenty of C's and I didn't get a single one in the actual exam period.

Stick with it seeing as you enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was predicted Cs for my GCSEs. Lol, predicted grades are rubbish, you'll get more if you try.

ReputationRep:
    As someone already said, this is only a PREDICTED grade so means nothing.
    I don't see why you couldn't work really hard to get an A* in Latin too. This is what I had to do for my Chinese GCSE as we had barely been taught anything at all - without doing my own work and actually teaching myself the specification I would not have got an A*; I would have probably got a C/D.
    You can put the effort into all of your studies anyway.
    And yes, Oxbridge don't care about short courses GCSEs anyway - Cambridge rule them out of their process for giving scores to applicants' GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    I did it at GCSE and got a C which was my lowest grade but I don't really care because the times I had with my classmates were hilarious and I wouldn't change that for the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)

I am predicted 11 A* and 2 A* otherwise
    Its starting to get annoying when people say they have x no. of A* PREDICTIONS You haven't achieve them yet, you should just try and better yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    Hey,

(I am predicted 11 A* and 2 A* otherwise)

I enjoy it, but it is a lot of work and I was wondering if it would bring down my UCAS and things later on? (I really want to do English at Oxford later) Would it be better just to drop it.? I do have fun, don't get me wrong - just wondering if you thought I should stop so I can put the effort into my other studies? oh! I don't know? How much impact do you think it will have on my grades?
    I'm thinking you mean 11 A*s and 2As there. That's a pretty awesome set of grades so, no, a C in Latin (which is a challenging course in itself so I'm told) won't matter very much. Especially if it's an extra.

I'd point you to the grades in my spoiler- does the B bother me? No. And if a university rejected me specifically because I had a B in one subject (and at GCSE level!) then, frankly, I'd think it rather ridiculous. The same would go for your C in Latin, if you got your predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    Don't quit Latin. It is a good GCSE to have even if it might only be a grade C which in my opinion is still good.

ReputationRep:
    Latin's dead mate
    It's like taking up astrology or religious studies

ReputationRep:
    I spent the whole two years of Latin GCSE getting Cs and Ds on my tests. Over the four exams at the end, I dropped a total of 10 marks. I really wouldn't worry about predicted grades, just work hard when it comes to the exams. Plus, Latin exams are pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should quit. I had Latin at school and it was a nightmare.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.