Turn on thread page Beta

General Anxiety watch

Announcements

Has anyone gone to see their GP about general anxiety? i'm considering going to speak to someone about it, and was wondering what kind of things might happen. What did they say? what did they do? (medication, councelling, nothing?)

obviously its going to depend on the individual situation, but i just want to hear experiences.

i've always been a bit of an anxious person, but recently its gotten ridiculous. i am panicing about loads of things, plus one thing in particular (don't want to mention it because i'm embarassed about how stupid and irrational it actually is) and its taking over my life and getting in the way of my uni work.
    if i get an idea in my head about something bad that might happen, i will fixate on it and panic until in my mind it has become clear that this thing probably isn't going to happen. this is usually days, and so in that time very little of what i actually need to do gets done....

ReputationRep:
    When you say anxiety, do you mean generally being worried about stuff or do you mean actually suffering from anxiety and get physical symptoms. Does that make sense?

well when i'm having these bouts

my heart sometimes races for long periods of time
    i can't do much else but sit and panic
    some hyperventilating

i have had a panic attack in the past, but not recently with this particular 'set of worries', but that was a one off. this is prolonged and is affecting day to day living.

ReputationRep:
    Go see your GP for sure. They will most likely prescribe you some anti-anxiety meds like citalopram. They may offer you counselling but you usually have to push for it.

does anyone want to share their experiences? i feel so alone right now. and i'm panicing.

ReputationRep:
    I started suffering from anxiety about 3 years ago, it has now been diagnosed as social phobia with some depression. Don't be scared you will be surprised how many people suffer from symptoms like ours. If it is interfering with your daily life go and make an appointment with your GP and they will help you out.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I suffer from anxiety and it got really bad at one point worrying about the most stupid things (don't be embarrised about how irrational you think it is). I went to the GP and he gave me citalapram and he was also great to talk to.

Just go to the doctors what the point in letting it ruin your life when you can get help.

:hugs:

Yeah i suffer from anxiety, pretty similar to what you've described; GP first prescribed me dosulepin; which is used to treat depression (cos i have that as well), anxiety, and sleeping problems (had relly bad imsomnia cos of the anxiety), but that was making me tired all the time and suicidal at one point, so i stopped taking that. I'm now taking citalopram. The Gp was saying that the drugs used to treat depression and anxiety overlap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    what affect did the medication have on you? did you stop worrying?
    It worked for me yeah. It also makes me less shy which is good. I'm not perfect but I think I'm a worrier by nature anyway. I don't think the medication alone would be enough though, I was lucky that I got a great GP to talk to but you need to talk to somebody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    does anyone want to share their experiences? i feel so alone right now. and i'm panicing.
    Use the search function I think just yesterday another 'general anxiety' thread was posted and I added calming techniques I had posted on another thread. There are loads with lots of advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    ok. part of the problem is that i can't/hate leaving the house, so getting to the GP is going to be a whole nother panic episode in itself.

i do need help though. it wouldn't be so bad if i had some one to confide in. i just want a hug.

and massive annon fail.
    You deffinitely need some help, I hope you can force yourself to go to the doctors. See if you can get a doctor to do a home visit if you can't.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.