Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey,

I have got MSc offers from Edinburgh (straight Economics), Notts (Economics) and Durham Businees School (Econ and Finance).

what would be the best choice for pursuing a career in IB (macro research or IBD) in London?
    please also consider the costs: 11 750 for Ed, 10 880 for Notts, 15 000 for DBS

Please help.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Unrelated, but when did you apply for Edinburgh and Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Probably Nottingham, which is usually the strongest for econ and business out of those and has quite a IB prominence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthb)
    Unrelated, but when did you apply for Edinburgh and Nottingham?
    at the end of november and received their offers within 2-3 weeks.

and was rejected by warwick

by the moment my priority is Notts...

ReputationRep:
    wow masters are expensive. are you itnernational? and id go for nottigham or durham probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsP)
    wow masters are expensive. are you itnernational? and id go for nottigham or durham probably
    Masters reflect the true price of doing a degree. Normal degrees are heavily subsidised. Some Masters programmes cost £20,000+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mscstudent)

and was rejected by warwick

Aight. Sorry about Warwick, their loss

I'm waiting on Notts & Edinburgh regarding Msc Economics..

ReputationRep:
    What is your background?
    e.g. current uni and course.

and was rejected by warwick ...
    Sorry to hear that.
    Any idea why?

That sounds reasonable: according to the World wide Economics Research rating:
    82) Notts
    126) Edinburgh
    unrated) Durham (outside top world 5%)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    What is your background?
    e.g. current uni and course.
    i'm an international so the price is quite high especially for DBS.
    i hold BSc Finance Honors from a Russian uni. as well as CFA1,2 and some experience in equity research, business valuation and banking.

Sorry to hear that.
    Any idea why?
    may be PS,
    may be Russian BSc Finance and UK BSc Economics programmes are not very much coincide in terms of Maths and Econometrics,
    they said quite high demand (higher than usual) this year for MSc programmes.
    but i'm still waiting on UCL.

That sounds reasonable: according to the World wide Economics Research rating:
    82) Notts
    126) Edinburgh
    unrated) Durham (outside top world 5%)
    i agree this is a real advantage for a macro research career (my first priority) but does this really help for a career in IBD (my second priority in case I've failed with the first one)? Durham's Econ and Finance sounds more sutable for IBD?

and Paul, do you know which of the three departments (Edinburgh,Notts and UCL) is more prominent particularly in macro?

ReputationRep:
    i'm an international so the price is quite high especially for DBS.
    i hold BSc Finance Honors from a Russian uni. as well as CFA1,2 and some experience in equity research, business valuation and banking..
    Why do you want to switch subjects for msc from finance to economics?

may be PS,
    may be Russian BSc Finance and UK BSc Economics programmes are not very much coincide in terms of Maths and Econometrics,
    they said quite high demand (higher than usual) this year for MSc programmes.
    but i'm still waiting on UCL.
    It is not the PS. Warwick Economics will have rejected you because you have not studied economics before (and econometrics in particular). Similarly I can't see UCL making you an offer. To get into msc econ at top places (i.e. Warwick, UCL, LSE, Oxbridge) you would need to do a diploma in economics first.

i agree this is a real advantage for a macro research career (my first priority) but does this really help for a career in IBD (my second priority in case I've failed with the first one)? Durham's Econ and Finance sounds more sutable for IBD?
    I don't know about IB careers.

and Paul, do you know which of the three departments (Edinburgh,Notts and UCL) is more prominent particularly in macro?
    UCL, but I really can't them making you an offer. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    What area of macro are you interested in? If its DSGE (microfoundations) Macro then I'd say that Nottingham would be particularly well suited to what you want. Anything else you want to know about the Nottingham MSc just ask

PS Your an international student, right? Based on those fees.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to switch subjects for msc from finance to economics?
    frankly, i just fed up with what i'm doing at the moment and i like studying much more than working.

It is not the PS. Warwick Economics will have rejected you because you have not studied economics before (and econometrics in particular). Similarly I can't see UCL making you an offer. To get into msc econ at top places (i.e. Warwick, UCL, LSE, Oxbridge) you would need to do a diploma in economics first.
    In fact I had 300 hours of Economics, 480 of Maths, 340 of Stat and Econometrics:cool:
    diploma is a nice idea, but unfortunately i'm not abramovich and can't afford 2 years of studying in the UK.

UCL, but I really can't them making you an offer. Sorry.
    hope they will condsider my candidature carefully, London is much more attractive than other UK cities for me. it's even bigger and more vibrant than Moscow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otu1987)
    What area of macro are you interested in? If its DSGE (microfoundations) Macro then I'd say that Nottingham would be particularly well suited to what you want. Anything else you want to know about the Nottingham MSc just ask

PS Your an international student, right? Based on those fees.
    right, i'm an international student from outside the EU.

thanks, but i don't have a particular area of interest, just overall macro is more attractive than micro .

ReputationRep:
    frankly, i just fed up with what i'm doing at the moment and i like studying much more than working.
    Are you working currently then?

In fact I had 300 hours of Economics, 480 of Maths, 340 of Stat and Econometrics:cool:
    How does your background compare with what I thought would be good prep for a warwick msc economics:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post10923238

diploma is a nice idea, but unfortunately i'm not abramovich and can't afford 2 years of studying in the UK.
    Have you considered applying to Economics and Finance at Warwick? Your background sounds very good for that course:
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/post...wbs/taught/ef/

hope they will condsider my candidature carefully, London is much more attractive than other UK cities for me. it's even bigger and more vibrant than Moscow
    Problem is everyone else also has a pro-London bias and given the laws of supply and demand this leads to high levels of competition. So I expect UCL entry standards to be higher than Warwick's.

ReputationRep:
    Are you working currently then?
    right, i'm currently doing credit analysis of corporates.

How does your background compare with what I thought would be good prep for a warwick msc economics:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post10923238
    not very much, but i have got 8 months before the programme have started
    i have strong interest in Economics which inspires me to overcome possible difficulties while studying though i will not be the best student, that's for sure....

Have you considered applying to Economics and Finance at Warwick? Your background sounds very good for that course:
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/post...wbs/taught/ef/
    it's very much like the Durham's one, where i got an offer. but more expensive - 18 kpounds vs 15.

ReputationRep:
    not very much, but i have got 8 months before the programme have started
    i have strong interest in Economics which inspires me to overcome possible difficulties while studying though i will not be the best student, that's for sure.....
    I would not suggest you did straight msc econ: I think you might get 'killed'.

it's very much like the Durham's one, where i got an offer. but more expensive - 18 kpounds vs 15.
    Given the amounts of money involved you might think that WBS was worth the premium.

ReputationRep:
    I would not suggest you did straight msc econ: I think you might get 'killed'.
    it's too late I suppose...anyways there are both Economics and Econometrics in the Economics and Finance currilulum, the difference is in some optional courses. i could even compose something like Economics and Finance out of Notts' option cources.

Given the amounts of money involved you might think that WBS was worth the premium.
    ...and it's 7kpuonds compared to Notts' Economics moreover I could possibly get 25% off in Notts...

ReputationRep:
    it's too late I suppose...anyways there are both Economics and Econometrics in the Economics and Finance currilulum, the difference is in some optional courses. i could even compose something like Economics and Finance out of Notts' option cources.
    Given your description of your background, if you were to do straight econ I am concerned that:
    i) you would have a much less appropriate background than many of the other students.
    ii) you would find the course vey difficult
    iii) You would not learn much.
    iv) You would not get great grades at the end.
    v) The course would not support you in your post msc objectives very well.

ReputationRep:
    Defo consider Edinburgh (for its economics dept. reputation) and defo consider Nottingham also for the quality of its department.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.