Help - Two possible A-Level choices for Mathematics Watch

safmaster
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi guys,

After my previous thread, I've decided on two possible groups of A-Level subjects. Here they are:

1. Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Economics.

2. Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry.

Which group do you think will better my chances of undertaking Mathematics at top universities? Also, which group would be better if I was to undertake Physics at top universities?

Note: (before anyone says this), I enjoy and am equally good at both Chemistry and Economics.

Thanks. Your help is appreciated.
angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It shouldn't make a difference, you've got maths, fm and a science - I guess maybe chemistry is seen as a slightly 'tougher' subject. (Btw it gets very very hard at a level! Not to put you off, but I think people change what their best subjects are dramatically between gcses and end of a-levels.) However, if you work hard you should be fine - so choose whichever one you think will interest you the most.
Vikki =]
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It really doesn't matter.
It's the maths/FM that's the main thing
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
for physics. i'd definately go for chemistry.
for maths it probably doesn't matter much.

so as you're undecided go for chemistry
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd second taking chemistry as it does link in with physics in some areas. Overall it doesn't matter that much though, if you think you'll enjoy economics much more then take that.
dannylj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
go for economics, gives you wider options at uni. Also chem wont help with physics or maths hugely.
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Depending on your Uni/later courses you may struggle without chemistry. You'll be able to do any economicsy components of a maths degree without ever having seen the cover of an A-level economics textbook.

Do chemistry, it doesn't really make a difference, but chemistry can't hold you back, economics can.
Manitude
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you're going for maths at uni then your three A Level choices there are probably the best ones you could make. The fourth AS isn't really important I'd imagine, better if it a science though.

As far as I'm aware, top maths departmen only really look for As in Maths/FM and then sometimes a specific result in a STEP paper (or papers), I assume that they're not really bothered about the other subjects (much like in Physics departments)
Unbounded
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For Maths at uni, they won't really care whether it's Chemistry or Economics. For Physics, they might like it if you did Chemistry, but I'd be surprised if they cared that much to be honest.

My advice: don't do chemistry :p:
Kinkerz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by GHOSH-5)
My advice: don't do chemistry :p:
Blasphemy :tongue:
AnonyMatt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would go for chemistry. It'll open up new ideas to you, because if all you've done is studied at GCSE level, then you wont' really know what maths is, or how deep the topics you will have studied for physics already are.

By taking chemistry, you get a good idea of how physics and chemistry tie together. From taking both, I know what I like about both, and how I would like to study them further while I study mathematics at university.

For example, a teacher at my school did his PhD in mathematics on the probability thingy of where the electron is in the hydrogen atom (and you'll study that in both chemistry and physics AS).
safmaster
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks for all the help guys.
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It won't make any significant amount of difference, do what you'd enjoy.
luvursoul
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
I'd say chem. Works with physics better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.5%
No (741)
72.5%

Watched Threads