Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to try and teach myself...but I'm not sure how to go about it....i.e. whether to buy CDs (which ones?!) or go to classes....

ReputationRep:
    Well it does depend on your ability to learn languages, but by comparison with other languages such as German or Russian, I'd say it's quite a bit easier. I did GCSE in one year and found it pretty easy, but I'd already studied French so that helped a lot. Why do you want to learn it? It's hard to say what method you should use, as different methods suit different people. Maybe you could just try one thing and see how it goes?

ReputationRep:
    Go to lessons. The fact that you are tied down keeps the commitment up. You might find yourself not bothered to listen to CDs at some point, and then the whole learning thing goes down the pan.

ReputationRep:
    Fairly easy as languages go, especially if you know a bit of Spanish. I'd only bother with CDs if you're really motivated, and can actually force yourself to do a certain amount each night. Classes would be more expensive, but you'd get to practise speaking, and you have the motivation of not wanting to sound crap in front of everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    If you already have learned a romance language, you will grasp it a lot quicker. The grammar works very similarly to Spanish.
    I'd recommend going to lessons like rockrunride said because it will give you something to stick to regularly ensuring you are learning. Plus teachers are good to help you when you're stuck.

ReputationRep:
    Up to GCSE level it's fairly easy. I did it last year alongside my AS-levels and got an A* with about 90 minutes of work a week from September to May/June time. However, I now can't remember so much of it and I think because it was fairly intensive I learnt it for the exam rather than for long-term memory. If that makes any sense.

Basically, if you've learnt any language before it will be fairly easy. If not then it will be harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not-another-number)
    If you already have learned a romance language, you will grasp it a lot quicker. The grammar works very similarly to Spanish.
    I'd recommend going to lessons like rockrunride said because it will give you something to stick to regularly ensuring you are learning. Plus teachers are good to help you when you're stuck.
    The only language I am fluent in is Arabic, hardly romantic! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Go to lessons. The fact that you are tied down keeps the commitment up. You might find yourself not bothered to listen to CDs at some point, and then the whole learning thing goes down the pan.
    True. I think classes would be the only way to force me to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
    The only language I am fluent in is Arabic, hardly romantic! :p:
    What makes you particularly want to learn Italian?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to try and teach myself...but I'm not sure how to go about it....i.e. whether to buy CDs (which ones?!) or go to classes....
    Do you happen to have any knowledge of French, Spanish or Romanian by any chance? If so, this should greatly help you (in my opinion). Knowledge of Latin would also be very helpful.

As for how, screw classes. You can perhaps get a taste for Italian here. Then I think you should get your hands dirty and get stuck into learning how verbs function in Italian, and other grammatical aspects of the language. Try changing the language of your operating system and computer programs (if possible) to Italian. See if you can find some websites aimed at Italian children, or try and get your hands on some Italian children's books, and work your way up from there. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's not easy, but it's definitely not so hard if you have a motivation. And Italian is a great language :love:

ReputationRep:
    What makes you particularly want to learn Italian?
    Hmm listening to Pavarotti sing so beautifully makes me want to understand the language properly. Also I love Italy and am hoping to have it as my second home when I'm older. It sounds so romantic and expressive.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm listening to Pavarotti sing so beautifully makes me want to understand the language properly. Also I love Italy and am hoping to have it as my second home when I'm older. It sounds so romantic and expressive.
    ...oh and you forgot to mention that Italian guys are sexy :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    They're good reasons
    It sounds like you'll have a passion to learn it, so I say book some classes and go for it!
    In bocca al lupo (good luck!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    ...oh and you forgot to mention that Italian guys are sexy :mmm:
    Of course!

ReputationRep:
    They're good reasons
    It sounds like you'll have a passion to learn it, so I say book some classes and go for it!
    In bocca al lupo (good luck!)
    Grazie! I just googled that. :p:

ReputationRep:
    it's bladdy easy obviously it does help if you know another romance language and if you generally pick up languages quite easily, but I'd say it is definitely one of the easiest for English people to learn, plus there are loads of benefits to learning it as Italy is such a nice place
    Going to classes are probably better if you think you might not have the discipline to regularly sit down and learn it by yourself, and also having a teacher should help more with the accent, Italian ways of phrasing things (although grammar is pretty relaxed) or things that you might not find out from books/CDs like idioms. However it is definitely not impossible to teach it to yourself so go with whatever works best for you!

ReputationRep:
    If you learned Spanish, it should be a piece of cake.

ReputationRep:
    abbastanza facile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapientia)
    Do you happen to have any knowledge of French, Spanish or Romanian by any chance? If so, this should greatly help you (in my opinion). Knowledge of Latin would also be very helpful.

As for how, screw classes. You can perhaps get a taste for Italian here. Then I think you should get your hands dirty and get stuck into learning how verbs function in Italian, and other grammatical aspects of the language. Try changing the language of your operating system and computer programs (if possible) to Italian. See if you can find some websites aimed at Italian children, or try and get your hands on some Italian children's books, and work your way up from there. Good luck.
    I did up to French GCSE, would that help? I like the idea of changing my computer settings to Italian...but only when I know enough!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.