Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am stuck on these two careers (Warfare Officer/Deck officer) at the moment and can't decide which one to choose. Both are very tempting and both have advantages and disadvantages. Which would you choose and why?

ReputationRep:
    I would choose Royal Navy Warfare Officer for the reason that you have only a few short years before you are too old to apply for the Royal Navy. The RFA, however, enlists up to 55 years of age.

Go Royal Navy I would say, otherwise, you may get too old and wish you had.

ReputationRep:
    Good point but isnt your life at risk in the navy? And don't the Merchant navy get a better pay scales?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    So you don't fancy the police now?

Given your answer to MN over RN, it sounds like you have made up your mind. Yes - armed forces WILL, in the big scheme of things, have a higher risk to life.

ReputationRep:
    I have not made up my mind yet, I am just trying to get as much information as I can and keep my options open. Still early days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lscott22)
    Good point but isnt your life at risk in the navy? And don't the Merchant navy get a better pay scales?
    Firstly, the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and the Merchant Navy are different organisations.

In the RFA you will be supporting Royal Navy operations. Yes you will usually be in less danger, but you will still be deployed to warzones across the globe.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Who in this thread mentioned the RFA? Not the OP or me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Who in this thread mentioned the RFA? Not the OP or me.
    Look at the title of the thread......

Royal
    Fleet
    Auxiliary

:rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Fair enough - my bad - but the OP keeps mentioning the Merchant Navy and the RN and hasn't covered RFA in his posts.
    He is confusing me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Fair enough - my bad - but the OP keeps mentioning the Merchant Navy and the RN and hasn't covered RFA in his posts.
    He is confusing me.
    No worries. The OP himself seems to be mixing up the RN, RFA and the Merch.

In his first post he mentions "Deck Officer" this is an RFA position as well as a Merch position.

ReputationRep:
    Your life will be in some small amount of danger if you join any maritime force, simply by virtue of the fact that you shall find yourself 'riding' a tempestuous force that is prone to unpredictability - see rogue waves as a fine example. The Royal Navy is dangerous to an extent, but it's not as if we're losing a load of Navy boys at the moment, is it? I know a few and they're all doing fine. The waiting lists are so long at the moment you may as well apply anyway and then decide in the meantime whether you REALLY want to do it. Though you'll have to research your role well and prove you're really up to it at interview - presuming you meet your mark in the RT, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain what the difference is between the Royal fleet auxillary and the merchant navy? :confused:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why not look at the Wikipedia entries for both. That'll see you right and improve your Google fu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tea_or_coffee?)
    Can someone please explain what the difference is between the Royal fleet auxillary and the merchant navy? :confused:
    The Royal Fleet Auxiliary is part of the MoD Civil Service. The Merchant Navy is a group of commercial civilian shipping companies.

I think that makes me a 1st Dan in Google Fu. I guess I'll have to undertake more extensive searches to get my 2nd Dan.

ReputationRep:
    My best mate is a Deck Officer (Merchant). His job is very different to that of a Deck Officer (RFA), and even more different to an X(GS) officer in the RN. Before anything else, and even thinking about applying, I'd think you might want to atleast let yourself know the difference and what you might be getting yourself into!

:top:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.