Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

pretending to be a girl online? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    would be fun i guess, but depending what these girls talk about, i woudnt think they will b happy with u pal.

(Original post by gingergooner)
    troll

or... it doesn't matter if you pretend to be a girl so long as you aren't trying to take advantage of it over people you meet online
    starters.... im not a troll

I dont plan to even look at pictures or ask for cam or anything like that I just want to talk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Imn not sure if im trans or not so a lad on the trans forum suggested I go online as a girl and see how I feel about being seen as and interacting with people as a girl.
    What the heck did you do on the trans forum? xD lol

What do you think?
    :nooo:

That is so lameeeee.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do it.
    You're not decieveing people because gender is more about a mindset rather than your appearance - Hopefully it will help you make up your mind.

Alternatively, you could appear without a distinguished gender and see to which one you gravitate.

Gender is so much more than Male and Female - what a silly world we live in with these clear cut boundaries.

(Original post by O-Ren)
    what do you mean 'not sure if you're trans'

do you not feel comfortable being a man? do you wish you were female?
    im not sure, thats the problem because if I am I want to start uni as a girl because its a new start and the perfect time to end my time as boy and have a restart

(Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    I think you should do it.
    You're not decieveing people because gender is more about a mindset rather than your appearance - Hopefully it will help you make up your mind.

Alternatively, you could appear without a distinguished gender and see to which one you gravitate.

Gender is so much more than Male and Female - what a silly world we live in with these clear cut boundaries.
    thnks for this

good idea

could explain more about the more than male and female thing?

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness, I can't understand people who are 'men in women's bodies'/'women in men's bodies'

Why are you so aware of what gender you are or aren't? I'm not really conscious of the fact I'm a female. I just am. In the same way I'm not really conscious of having brown hair or green eyes. I just do. Don't really think about it.

Unless you think that some personality traits are 'male' or 'female' and think that in order to 'be yourself' you have to switch to the gender that supposedly has those traits. If that is the case then you are clearly very suggestible.

Just be yourself and stop worrying about your gender! If anyone treats you a certain way because of your gender these are people NOT WORTH KNOWING

Please correct me if there is some other reason you want to be a female. I'd like to have a better understanding of trans people.

ReputationRep:
    starters.... im not a troll

I dont plan to even look at pictures or ask for cam or anything like that I just want to talk
    Ha to be fair it looked potentially trollish. But if thats all there shouldn't be any moral wrong there, if you think you could be trans then you aren't even technically deceiving anyone.

ReputationRep:
    lol trolling

a mate did this to one my friends and lets just say we never looked at him the same way lol

ReputationRep:
    Imn not sure if im trans or not so a lad on the trans forum suggested I go online as a girl and see how I feel about being seen as and interacting with people as a girl.

What do you think?
    I think you should stop doing it. Now. It's extremely dishonest and the simple person who gave you that idea really hasn't got a clue how to properly investigate and research changing your gender. Stupid idea.

Talking to faceless people online in your chosen gender will do NOTHING to aid your trans-gender experimentation. That sort of thing can only be achieved (on a small scale to be honest) in face to face, public situations.

If you're serious about changing your gender (which I suspect you might not be) you should consult a shrink and they'll determine whether you're genuinely trans-gender and should pursue taking this route futher or are just confused and haven't thought about this properly at all.

In short, you need to think about this more seriously and take the proper steps.

ReputationRep:
    Bad idea. What if people end up becoming close to you or something? It probably won't work, though I can see your reason for it. Is there another way you can work it out without involving deceit?

ReputationRep:
    how about acting......normal..why does their need to be an emphasis on your gender? some peeps don't have a gender symbol thing like me..
    just don't like when/if people ask.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't see any harm in it. On some sites/chat rooms people have assumed I was male and I didn't correct them. It's an interesting experience. I think it's quite common - most people create an identity online to some extend and switching gender is just part of that.

ReputationRep:
    thnks for this

good idea

could explain more about the more than male and female thing?
    Sure. I believe that there is nothing that is clear cut when it comes to who you are as a person. Everything is a scale: Here, the scale has Male at one end and Female at the other. There are people who are very secure in their Gender - For example:

(Original post by O-Ren)
    ...Why are you so aware of what gender you are or aren't? I'm not really conscious of the fact I'm a female. I just am...
    and then there are other people who are more in the middle. There are even people who identify themselves as not having a gender at all. Just because these people are a minority doesn't mean they're not the same as everyone else.

I really suggest you take some time to get to know and understand your gender and your identity simply as a person, rather than as a Guy or a Girl. Even if you come out of it feeling like neither, you will know who you are. And this is only a positive thing.

ReputationRep:
    Another reason why your potential route into deception is incredulous is who on earth has a conversation and takes how they talk to them on the basis of their gender?

I have never had a conversation with someone and adjusted the way I talk due to their gender. Only time gender is in anyway relevant to ANY conversation is if you're in a courting/dating/mating situation. You say you're just after talking to them, so what exactly do you think you'll get out of pretending you're a girl online then? They'll treat you exactly the same, as if you were a guy!!!!

This is what I mean when I say you haven't thought about this. We're not deciding what packet of crisps to buy here, this is a monumental, life changing decision you're considering here so fix up man. If you're going to explore changing your gender, do it properly.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldpeople be mad because im going to be myslef but a female version of me and im never going to say im a boy

Because its creepy as hell.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go for it. As long as nobody gets hurt in the process, it should be fine.
    It has the potential to make you happy for the rest of your life - just be careful!

(Original post by yellowlolly)
    I think you should go for it. As long as nobody gets hurt in the process, it should be fine.
    It has the potential to make you happy for the rest of your life - just be careful!
    I dont plan to hurt anyone, if someone gets close to the other me I will distance myself

What should I be careful about?

ReputationRep:
    Go on omegle.com, won't hurt anyone if you pretend you're a girl +

ReputationRep:
    It's great; I do it all the time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.